Planning Greece - 7-8 Days

Old Aug 7th, 2017, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Greece - 7-8 Days

Hi All, Going to Greece at the end of August 2017 for about 8 days (not including travel).
My son graduated from college so this is a particular destination he desired as a reward. We are history buffs so we are excited. My wife does want to see Santorini and Mykonos, known must see during a first Greek island visit. So here is what I like any help or advice during the planning stage. We will fly into Athens and plan to see the historical sites. Then an itinerary to the Greek islands, back to Athens and home (USA). We would simply desire a "Tourist" visit as this is our first pass into Greece.
Here is our current plan outline:

3-4 days in Athens - possible excursion to inland historical sites (but outside Athens).
3-4 days fly to an Island (Mykonos or Santorini) and ferry to the other. Fly back to Athens and then home.

Some Thoughts? Must see, must do's?

Hotels? Air-B-B?

Travel tips (for a first time tourist in Greece)?

Thanks,
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 09:50 AM

You don't have time for your itinerary sequence-- staying in Athens 2x eats up precious hours, and every single hour counts when you have the cruelly short time of 8 days. And with this extremely brief time, logistics are the TOP priority. Also, get ready to spend $$ -- because when you don't have time, you must spend money. Here are some Basics:

• OVERSEAS FLIGHTS - don't try to save a buck with connecting flights in Europe!!!! With a connection, you don't reach ATH before 1-2 pm, and this may mean you waste your entire Day 1. Instead, There are 3 airlines that do nonstops from N America: American (PHL) Delta (JFK) Air Canada (Toronto). All leave late afternoon (430- 6pm), and arrive am9:15, 9:30 and 9:20. This maximize yr options for day 1. ALSO- do NOT book return flight departing before 9 AM; 9 means you must be in line 7 am, leave hotel 6 AM. Any earlier, spoils your last night in Greece!

• On DAY 1, go elsewhere instantly: either Farthest Island (Santorini?) via plane, or Mainland historic site like Nafplio (see sequence below), Final 2 days in Athens.

• Tell wife Skip Mykonos (unless her main trip desire is to shop Cartier - Hermes - DKNY - Chanel - Gucci etc & mingle w. 8,000 cruise passangers). In 8 days it's Santorini OR Mykonos not both, & Santo has the Famous View. Both are only "must-see" on first trip for cruise-crowd lemmings from USA who blindly go where brochures promote. (there is also a day-trip option, see below).

• Be prepared to pay $$$ for hotels: You are waaaay late in planning for only 3 weeks from now in High Season!! And despite hi bux you probably won't get rooms w. view, just insist on accessability not isolated locations w no public transit - in AThens, walkable (1/2 mi) to Acropolis, in Santorini, in Firostephani, best choice, either for bus or rental car to Oia or Fira.

• In Fact u are too late to book D-I-Y!! Your best hope is immediately to e-mail the 3 best Greece-based agencies w. excellent reps for making trip arrangements online w US travellers* Aegean-Thesaurus, Dolphin-Hellas or Fantasy travel. E-mail all 3, see who answers first. (First, book your overseas flights). Supply agencies w. exact dates & arrival times, your 3 desired destinations (no more), hotel needs (triple room or 2 sep rooms are easiers than 2-rm suite at this late date) AND your budget range per night (do not expect under $300-400). See who answers first & how costs & accomms. compare. I'm telling you, without doing this, you are s-o-l.

SCENARIO #1 - If your son & you truly ARE history buffs, and excited to see the MOST famous sites of Ancient Greek History -- plus a famous isle:
• NAFPLIO (3.5 days) - SANTORINI (2.5 days) - ATHENS (2 days)
• NAFPLIO - this website http://www.visitnafplio.com tells all about THE most beautiful Old town in GReece,set amidst MOST famous ancient sites.
• Day 1 Noon - Rental car 2.5 hr drive...stop enroute at NEMEA) arrive to explore Town. Day 2 - Drive Mycenae, VIneyards? Day 3 -More Nafplio, Palimidi fortress beach! Day 4 - Enroute back to ATH airport stop @ Epidaurus 1 hr & photo-op @ Corinth Canal, arr ATH Airport noon???
• SANTORINI - Arrive aft Day 4 - stay Day 4, 5, evening day 6 fly ATH.
• ATHENS - Day 7 8am to Acropolis to beat crowds ... then Acrop Mus.
Day 8 - other ancient sites, Nat. Arch. Museum, souvenirs, final dinner w Acropolis View (Attiki House?).

SCENARIO #2 - SANTORINI(2.5 days) - NAXOS(3.5) - ATHENS (2 days)
• DAY 1 - soonest available flight to Santorini. Day 2 & part of Day 3; Santorini -- be prepared for huge cruise crowds.
• DAY 3 afternoon 3:15 BLUE STAR ferry to ATH arr 5:30 pm
• DAY 4 & 5 & part day 6 - NAXOS (stay Ag Prokopios beach? Rent car?)
• Late-Day 6 - 6pm BLUE STAR ferry to PIRAEUS (arr midnight)
• DAY 7-8 Above.
... Note: there's a day-excursion to DELOS & MYKONOS from Naxos, leaves 8:30 am arr back 7:30pm, but long sea trip.
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 10:08 AM

Most people leave Athens for the end of their trip to ensure getting back to make your flight home in case of strikes, delays, weather, etc.

Is there a reason for going to Santorini/Mykonos? They are two of the most popular, heavily touristed, and expensive of the Greek Islands. How "Greek" they are is debatable.

The only reason I would go to Santorini is for the spectacular archeological site of Akritori. The scenery is secondary since most Greek Islands/mainland offer beautiful scenery at far less costs and without having to deal with hordes of tourists.

If it was me I would go straight to Nafplio, one of Greece's loveliest towns with a pretty waterfront, beautiful Old Town and a perfect base for exploring World-Class archeological sites/museums nearby.

There is a great farmers' market, museums, archeological/historic sites right in town, exceptional tavernas serving traditional Greek food at affordable prices and if you need something a little "modern" the New Town is just a short walk away with small, locally-owned specialty shops selling wonderful Greek products.

You can even do a day cruise to Hydra/Spetses if you want an island experience. Hydra is a gem of a island with one of Greece's nicest waterfronts and town. Not much to do there other than eat, drink, people watch or take a walk along the coast to the small village of Kamini or go for hikes in the interior. While "glitzy" it's easy to get to from Nafplio and you can take in an island that doesn't allow vehicles. All transportation is down by donkey giving you an idea of "old" Greece.

Don't let the glossy travel magazines/websites think Santorini/Mykonos is Greece. Just think USA and Disnleyland. If that's what you like you'll love it, but it won't really be Greek!
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 10:01 PM

I totally agree with travelerjan! If I were more of a history buff I would skip the islands entirely and concentrate on Athens and the area around Nafplio. If you skip the islands you would also have time for a visit to Delphi, one of the most important ancient sites in Greece.

The islands are more beach oriented, and have little in the way of historic sites, two notable exceptions being Santorini and Mykonos. These islands are popular for a reason, but are very busy until mid-September.

You simply don't have time for Athens and two islands, so of the two I would pick Santorini for its spectacular scenery and the archaeological sites of Akrotiri and Ancient Thera. It's with a heavy heart that I make that recommendation, because that means you will miss Delos, the archaeological site on an uninhabited island just off Mykonos. Still, you can't see everything, and there is always an opportunity to visit Greece again.

BTW, your comment "My wife does want to see Santorini and Mykonos, known must see during a first Greek island visit." made me laugh, because I visited Mykonos on my third visit, and Santorini on my ninth or tenth!
Old Aug 7th, 2017, 11:16 PM
kja

"My wife does want to see Santorini and Mykonos"

I know, they are the iconic images, right? But having visited both in the last few months, I would encourage you to be sure to explore your options.

I'm currently in the process of posting a trip report on my first time in Greece, and have now covered my experiences on both Santorini and Mykonos. Perhaps you and your wife will find some useful observations? It's a LONG trip report, but it's searchable, so you should be able to find the relevant sections:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-greece.cfm

Hope that helps!
Old Aug 8th, 2017, 03:36 AM

HObodaddy, I forgot to say that either scenario I outlined depends on getting the flights at the dates & times listed (being goodhearted I might even have checked, had you supplied your trip dates which you did not). Yet one more reason to hie thee to an agency IMMEDIATELY, x your fingers, and hope for the best! And we all hope you will come back to this thread, just to tell us what luck you've had in booking this well-deserved "reward trip" for your son!