Reload this Page >

Maastricht- Best day trip from A'dam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:26 AM
ajs

Going to Amsterdam in two weeks. We want to take a day trip, no more than three hours away. Brugge is the most obvious, I guess, but if we go by train, it involves a change in Brussels, and a little more time than we want to spend traveling. Seen many suggestions here of Maastricht. Best ideas for a chilly November day? TIA

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:43 AM
Ronda

Have been to both. Maastricht does not compare with Brugge. Seems like both are a long way from Amsterdam. Isn't Brussels 4 hours? Brugge would be another hour by train. If the weather is bad, neither one will be fun.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:43 AM
christi

Hi--I have been to both towns and I would strongly recommend Brugge over Maastricht. Brugge is so charming and has lovely architecture as well as great shopping. Maastricht was okay but did not have that special charm that you find in Brugge. Have fun!

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:44 AM
Ronda

That should be 3 hours from Amsterdam to Brussels, 1 more hour to Brugge.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 07:44 AM
Eye Spy

Maastricht is an old Roman city and you can take the train from Amsterdam Centraal which travels quite often during the day. Outside of Maastricht is Margraten cemetery where many American soldiers are buried. Log onto the Dutch Railways site (Nederlandse Spoorwegen at www.ns.nl) and click on the English language icon. You travel via Utrecht (but shouldn't have to transfer on the platform if you choose the right train) and through the typical Dutch countryside through Utrecht province/Noord Brabant and into Limburg province on the intercity. You could also consider Haarlem or Leiden or Den Haag which has nice streets and interesting sites as well and be back from any city in time for dinner. Leiden is very nice as is Gouda or Delft. You may wish to find out if tour buses are a cheaper and quicker alternative to get to Brugge and Ghent (go into the Cathedral to see Van Eyck's very famous triptych). All in all, check on the NS.NL website. They offer train travel and tours at great savings and the train tickets are included in the price. If you're in Holland, go to the "balie" (ticket window) and ask for their brochure. Everyone will speak English no problem. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:46 AM
SA

I actually favor Maastricht over Bruges but neither are places I would day trip to from Amsterdam. Both are certainly worthy of overnight stays @ the very minimum. From Amsterdam I would suggest Rotterdam or Delft.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 08:59 AM
ajs

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, we have to daytrip, as we've got our A'dam accoms reserved for four nights. What's in Delft besides blue ceramics? LOL. Been to Rotterdam. What about any nearby German cities?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 09:06 AM
Eye Spy

Why don't you just stay in one country and see what you can of that place? I have given you ideas about Delft and other cities -- there are interesting streets, museums, churches to visit. If you go to Germany, Duesseldorf is 3 hours one way by train which would make it 6 hours total just in train travel just to sit on the Koenigsallee there, have a cup of coffee and have to go back.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 10:52 AM
Bert

Why not take a bus tour from Damrak out to some of the "touristy" spots like Volendaam, Marken or the Hague? The tours are reasonably priced and will cover the "must sees". One we took included a tour of a cheese farm and the flower auction. Pretty damn interesting I must say.