Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lyon to Aix-en-Provence and back (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lyon-to-aix-en-provence-and-back-895735/)

kiwicher2 Jun 20th, 2011 04:36 PM

Lyon to Aix-en-Provence and back

plan so far
Fly into Lyon arrive arrive mid afternoon then take train/tram into LyonPart Dieu to catch Tvg
direct to Aix will not arrive until after 8pm

or Rent car and drive to Aix should we have a stop over if so where?
Don't think we will need the car for the 1st couple of day's? but worried about late arrival
using the train.

1-4 in Aix day trips days 2-4
5-6
Drive back to Lyon with night somewhere on the way do you have any suggestion?

this is part of larger trip that I am still working out, yours thoughts are very appreciated

Beloo Jun 21st, 2011 03:18 AM

Taking TGV is easy and fast.
If you join Lyon and Aix during summer, TGV train is very punctual. On the road, you could have big trafic jam during summer (it generally takes 3h30 hours to join Aix-en-Provence by car, but it could easily be 12h (!).

But by train, you will only have a very short look on the landscape of Drôme, Vaucluse and Luberon !

If you rent a car, I suggest you to have a short look in Lyon on the Saone river/Fourvière basilica and Vieux Lyon (scenic views), before driving south.

Take Autoroute A6 to Livron (1h15 from Lyon). Then catch Crest (charming B & B and great restaurants in this area), and follow early in the morning, the scenic road through Dieulefit, Nyons, Carpentras, before joining Cavaillon and Aix-En-Provence.

I have supposed you'll discover the heart of Luberon (Bonnieux, Roussillon, Gordes...) during your stay in Aix.

If Crest Area seems to far after your flight, a stop for the night could be done in Tain L'Hermitage / Tournon-sur-Rhône(excellent wines, good restaurant and great chocolates on earth at Valrhôna shop (you can taste different sorts, before buying!).

tedgale Jun 21st, 2011 03:33 AM

The risk of following Beloo's advice is the following:

Once you leave Crest and experience the splendours of the Drome Provencale, you may abandon your original plans.

We have visited that small region perhaps 10 times in the last 25 years. We have stayed both in and near Marsanne and near tiny Charols, in both B+B and gite accommodations. We love Bourdeaux, Nyons, Le Poet-Laval, Allan, La Garde-Adhemar.... And then there are all those fantastic Vaucluse towns just to the south, even before you get to the famous Luberon ("A Year in Provence") Valley.

Too much temptation to stop and linger -- you'd never get to Aix!

kiwicher2 Jun 21st, 2011 09:20 PM

Beloo Thanks so much for this info,
I am now thinking that we will fly into Paris, and get the TGV from there going straight to Aix-en-Provence as the times work out better. However we will rent a car for the last few days
and will use your recommendation in reverse.
Just reading them make's me excited

Tedgale am googling all the places you mentioned sounds great