Reload this Page >

Lyon-La Tour Rose or Les Courdes Loges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:02 AM
jane

Which do you prefer, do either have air conditioning?

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:06 AM
mimi taylor

There a beautiful picture of La Tour Rose in this month's issue(SEPT.) of Victoria Magazine

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:39 AM
Wendy

We stayed at the Cours des Loges ( sp??) last year. It was a wonderful hotel. Very interesting, carved out of a former 13th century silk factory building. It was one of the most unusual spaces we have ever seen. Inside, there are tons of paintings, mostly by new artists, all for sale. The rooms are smallish, and some, like ours, face an interior skylit courtyard that is wall to wall paintings. We found the staff very helpful- esp the concierge who seemed to be an encyclopedia of knowledge about Lyon. We didn't like Lyon itself that much. Thought it compared badly to Paris- even the food, which was surprising. But we went in the heat of August, and that may have soured our feelings. Still, the hotel was great. And yes, it does have AC, maybe not what you're accustomed to in US hotels, but pretty good for Lyon!E-mail me if you have ???

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Chris

Jane -- Both high end hotels in the old section of Lyon. I assume both have a/c. I haven't stayed in either. La Tour Rose uses Lyon's silk for their chairs, etc. (or so I've heard.) <BR> <BR>Wendy -- sorry you didn't like Lyon, but August probably had a lot to do with it. <BR> <BR>As for eating? You weren't sent to the "right" places! Where did you eat? <BR> <BR>Lyon can't be compared to Paris! But it's a nice place to slow down a little and enjoy being in France. But Lyon is a very interesting city, but it does depend what interests you. You won't be blown away by anything like you are in Paris. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Graziella

I loved Lyon, I loved the hotel where we stayed, the Royal, (4stars)true we asked for the superior rooms. <BR>i rather stay there than in any of the other two, althoug he had a great bruch in Cours de Loges.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 10:11 AM
Katherine

I've been to Lyon 3 times (in May) and loved it. Stayed at the Cour de Loges once and it was wonderful. And the food was excellent. We ate mostly in the small outdoor places in Vieux Lyon. Once in a crepe restaurant further into the new part of the town and it was excellent. I think Lyon is special because it's more managable than Paris.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 12:21 PM
jane

Had planned to stop in Lyon for 2 nights on the way to Lake Annecy from the Dordogne. Is this a bad idea, seems to get mixed reviews- only have 11 nights total and it will be in August. Should we allocate the time to somewhere else? We will be traveling by train. Many Thanks.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Peg

Graziella, Did you happen to get a peek at any of the standard rooms at the Royal? I am tempted at 650 FF per night. It looks like a lovely hotel. Any details would be much appreciated! Peg

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 09:47 PM
Chris

Peg -- The Royal is at the corner of Place Bellecour. A busy location, but should be a nice hotel. Not far at all from the tourist office (2 min walk). On the side of the hotel that faces Place Bellecour, you can see the flower vendors and Louis XIV's statue (maybe -- might not through the trees though.) Good location for shopping, eating, sightseeing, etc. <BR> <BR>Jane -- search on Lyon here, I've posted quite a few lines about it when questions have been asked. See if it's something you're interested in. Lots of history, lots of museums, lovely park, etc. There are also websites on Lyon too. You can get mixed reviews of any city -- some people HATE Paris and others LOVE it (I'm in the latter category!)