Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lyon, France - Is the area around the hostel I booked safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2015, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just booked the Slo living hostel in Lyon France - located at 5 rue bonnefoi, 69003 Lyon, France. From what I've read and researched it seems to be close to Lyon center but in the La Guillotière district which has mixed opinions. I am really unsure about this place as I will be a female traveling solo.

Any information about the area surrounding the hostel from someone familiar with Lyon would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 21st, 2015, 08:17 PM

If you are really that worried about it, read the Trip Advisor reviews carefully (often the mention the surroundings) and even contact the people who posted the reviews and ask them what the area around the hostel was like.
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 04:29 AM

La Guillotiere area is what the French would call a "quartier populaire", meaning roughly that it's a multi-ethnic, working class area, so I imagine that's where lots of the mixed opinions are coming from...

It's a lively area where lots of student accommodation is and as you say, very well positioned for getting into the city centre proper but I can see why some people might find it a little intimidating, although I can't say that I ever have.

Around that area there are some really good bars (Ninkasi right on the bridge brews their own beer on-site if you're in to that sort of thing) and there's also a 24-hour Tabac - which can attract some interesting characters towards the end of the evening, but it's a high-traffic area, with lots of students so never feels threatening in my opinion.

If you're unsure, have you looked at the youth hostel on the Montee du Chemin Neuf? It's in a very quiet part of the old town, with amazing views over the city and a short walk (down a very steep hill) into the old town - which can make getting home after a well-lubricated night out interesting - but might be a bit more suitable for you.

Hope this helps!
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies. Makes me a little less nervous knowing that the area is rough but just lively and I can deal with that. The reason I am looking into hostels is because my friends are living in part dieu but only have the room reserved for 2 people and now the prices are petty expensive - I lived Jay_G's suggestion for the other hostel - any suggestions for hostels near the part Dieu area?
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 08:48 AM

Why do you want to stay near the train station?

That area has a large immigrant, Muslim and Rom population. They've had some controversies in that area.

here is one article in a local paper about some problems there FWIW
http://www.tribunedelyon.fr/?actuali...la-guillotiere

or this regarding something the city was doing, setting up some barriers
http://www.lyonmag.com/article/67252...-a-ete-demonte
Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Citadines near the Part Dieu shopping center has TINY studio apartments @ 50-60 euros per night
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 06:26 AM

The Part Dieu area is a bit of a dead zone honestly, with mostly offices and a large, indoor shopping centre that has seen better days.

Even though your friends are staying there, I presume you'll be wanting to see the better bits of Lyon whilst you're visiting, so to get the best out of your experience, I'd suggest staying somewhere you want to, then taking the metro to visit them, if you need to. The centre of Lyon is actually fairly compact, so your metro journeys will be short, or you can rent one of the Velov bikes stationed all around the city to get around.

There's another hostel on Rue de la Republique (which is as central as it gets) which could be worth a look as you'll be right in the heart of the city, on a pedestrian street with bars, shops and clubs all within a short distance.

Also, it sounds as if your two friends who are sharing a room might want some "alone time" every once in a while and if you are going to be spending time on your own, either of the two places I suggested will be full to the brim with likeminded people wanting to go out, so I doubt you'd be lonely for very long...
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 06:45 AM

Christina - the links you posted are basically scaremongering from the "newspapers" in question. I'm not criticising you for posting them, merely pointing out that both of them have a fairly racist bent.

The idea that anyone in Lyon would be "shocked" by prostitutes plying their trade in the town centre is almost laughable and the first article you link to actually compares the prostitutes people are apparently "shocked" by to the better class of streetwalker that you can find (if one was so inclined of course) near the Perrache train station...

The article is basically pointing them out due to where they are supposedly from.
Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your help. I really like the hostel I booked and my main goal of asking the question was to make sure that getting there probably by a taxi in the night would be safe.

I looked at the youth hostel on the Montee du Chemin Neuf and it indeed has very beautiful views but will be very far from my friends.

The hostel on Rue de la Republique - seems to be for people who want to party and I used to be one of them not too long ago - but am really just looking for a quiet, clean and safe place to sleep in the night.

I also looked at the Citadine apart hotels but they seem to be a little more than double what I paid for the hostel room - I am unable to get the low prices and the total is about $190 for 2 nights. That feels a bit expensive for just one person.

The news paper articles - did frankly scare me - but it looks like they are old from 2013. I am comfortable taking the metro in Lyon and what I would really appreciate if anyone could help with is if the area around the hostel is safe - as in have there been any riots recently, any violent protests - as long as this is not the case - I am fine with the hostel - it appears to be really cute and clean.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 03:36 AM

melid - you've made the right decision to stay at that hostel in Guillotiere.

It's massively unlikely that you'll experience anything untoward taking a taxi, or even walking back there at night. The area is as safe as any central, well-lit major thoroughfare in the centre of a city can be. There'll be the odd drunk and the odd idiot, but nothing that a savvy person can't handle.

I have friends that live in the vicinity and can confirm that there have been no riots or violent protests recently in the area and even if there had, surely that would make it less likely that there would be any when you're there...

Go, have fun, spend time with your friends and enjoy Lyon. Drink your bodyweight in Coteau du Lyonnais, eat as much St. Marcellin as you can manage, then work it all off walking up to Fourviere.

I'm heading there in a little over four weeks and plan to do similar.

Other than walking up to Fourviere...

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 24th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Jay_G. The newspapers are always focusing on the smallest bad things. Your response made me a lot more comfortable with my decision and the hostel is so cute. Thank you for your time and I will try to publish a report when I am back. Have fun on your trip.
Old Jun 25th, 2015, 05:20 AM

No problem at all melid. You're absolutely right about the newspapers Christina linked to.

Glad you're happy with your decision and I certainly plan to have fun on my trip!

Bon voyage!