Search

Lyon - France

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 03:45 PM
lynne

Lyon - France

Looks like I may be in Lyon the end of October for a conference. I will most likely only have 2 or 3 days free. Can anyone tell me what they would do with their evenings and spare days that I might have? I haven't been to Europe since I was an infant so I'm completely inexperienced!! <BR>I was wondering how difficult it would be to day trip from Lyon to Paris? Where else would you experienced travellers recommend for an inexperienced traveller as far as day trips? I was wondering how easy it would be to see the French Alps as well? <BR>I'm particularly interested in art, history, theatre, shopping and meeting some locals. <BR>Any recommendations for restaurants and inexpensive locations to stay? Any special stores not to be missed or special purchases to make in Lyon? <BR>I'll be using public transportation to travel. How will I do with the trains? I speak enough French to get by... <BR>Thanks - I know you'll all come through for me! <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 04:50 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Lynn: I envy you. Lyon itself is a most interesting city--with LOTS of good eating places. The train service (using the TGV) between Lyon and Paris is excellent--just an hour or two each way. Going east the service may be a bit slower but the French Alps, especially Annecy, make that a worthwhile day trip also. Head south and in an hour or so you can reach Vienne, Valence, and (my favorite) Avignon. I think you'll be more than entertained. Bon voyage! Joa

Old Aug 2nd, 1999, 03:40 PM
lynne

Thanks! <BR>Any specific recommendations for restaurants in Lyon or places to visit? I understand there is a silk museum has anyone been and has anyone bought anything there? <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 01:47 AM
Vincent

I am no big fan of Lyon myself, since I think the city combines the inconveniences of a metropolis (traffic, pollution, safety, etc. ) without the cosmopolitan flair. Anyway, since you are only staying a couple of days it should be OK. It's true that the food is great and much cheaper than in Paris. Try the "bouchons", traditional lyonnais restaurants, where it's impossible to have a bad meal. As far as museums are concerned, I like the Musée Gallo-Romain on the Fourvière hill, the best of its kind in France, if you are interested in the Roman period of our country (the silk museum is also very interesting). No problem for the day trip to Paris, lots of businessmen do that : the train trip lasts two hours each way, there are trains every hour, more on peak hours. Remember that there are two stations in Lyon : Part-Dieu and Perrache. Most TGVs stop at most, but some skip Perrache. So please check beforehand. Have a nice trip.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 05:52 AM
Judy

Vincent, thanks for the tips. We're planning a 2-day stop in Lyon next month. The good thing about doing it on our own is the flexibility. If Lyon is not our cup of tea, we can just go to Avignon one day early. Re. the TGV from Paris to Lyon, I've checked the schedules on the internet and they all show Part Dieu as the destination station. Is Perrache closer to the city center?

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 08:22 AM
Vincent

It depends which "city center" you are talking about. For the historic center, yes, Perrache is the one ; for the business center, Part-Dieu should be your choice.

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 01:00 PM
lynne

Thanks for the posts so far... <BR> <BR>How much will the train cost for Paris? <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 04:07 PM
Judy

Lynne: The page for fares on the SNCF web site is currently down ("being upgraded") but a few days ago I got a quote of 544 francs for a first class one-way ticket from Paris to Lyon. I didn't check to see if round trip fare is double that because I'm planning a series of one-way trips (Paris to Lyon to Avignon, a rental car in Avignon, then TGV Avignon to Paris). Second class fares are available as are various discount fares. The discount fare options were discussed in a string here recently if you can find it or you can check the SNCF web site at www.sncf.fr/ If you don't speak French, on that page click on the icon on the left that looks like a British flag and the site will be displayed in English. Find "Traveller's Guide" and then "Discount Fares" for a full description of discounts available. <BR> <BR>Vincent: Thanks for your replies. I'd prefer to be near the historic center so my choice will be to get off at Perrache if my research shows there is a choice of reasonably priced hotels in that area. I'm looking forward to eating at the "bouchons" you recommended.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 03:03 PM
lynne

<BR>Thanks for all the ideas and help...I'll keep checking in case anyone else has suggestions/ideas.