Circolo dei Forestieri (Foreigner's Club) Sorrento, Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my research online, this looks like a lovely place to enjoy lunch or dinner while in Sorrento. The view from their terrace of the Bay of Naples is fabulous.

Has anyone had an experience dining here? I'd like to hear your comments.

Thank you.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM

I've been by there many times. It's in a beautiful location. I'm very interested in obtaining the same information. Who knows? I may get to go there in the near future.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Same here...we've passed by and kept on walking even though I had done research about this place on prior trips. I think it's time to pay it a visit!
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 04:04 PM

I have been to Circolo dei Forestieri on many occasions over the last 11 years and can tell you the view is spectacular, the staff lovely and the food good, not amazing, but good (ok, the pasta with artichokes is amazing, the rest good). It's a solid repertoire of "Italian" food, ie from all the regions, but if the daily special is something regional from Campania the go for that. If you're not finding anything on the menu you want to try, at the very least have an aperitivo (or 3) on the terrace before heading off for dinner. If you have a few days in Sorrento, then perhaps eat here one night and then check out other restaurants in the town on other nights.

If you're there in warmer weather (ie Spring/Summer) then a terrace table is a must. Especially at sunset. The atmosphere is pure holiday and you'll spend most of your time gazing at the sea, occasionally tearing yourself away to eat or even dance a little.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't eat there.

It wouldn't be an unpleasant experience to go at night to have a drink and watch English punters do the foxtrot.

The view of the Bay of Naples is very nice.

An ascot would NOT be out of place.

Tschuss,
Pepper
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

An ascot would NOT be out of place...are you British? I am a woman, and "probably" wouldn't be caught dead in one! LOL

madamtrashheap, we will be in Sorrento (for the 4th time) for eight days. Plenty of time to visit this establishment. Actually, we will be traveling with friends of ours, and I think this would be an experience they would enjoy. I am going to suggest it to them.

BTW, our dates are April 20th to April 28th - just hoping for mild weather so we can enjoy the outdoors during the day.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 05:28 PM

By the end of April you should get lucky with some milder (read: warm, not raining) weather so definitely take your friends for dinner (or lunch that could turn into aperitivi/dinner!) one night. 8 days in Sorrento will be lovely, and your 4th visit means you get to re-visit old favourites as well as visit places you've had on your list. Have a great time!
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We will be in Sorrento for 4 days at the end of May. Do you have any recommendations for good food restaurants? How about places for packed lunch/sandwiches for daytrip and plane munchies?

Thanks,

AJ
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 05:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I had a couple of drinks and an appetizer at the Foreigner's Club one afternoon.

Fabulous views! Recommend it!
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

joannyc,

I think that's the direction we are heading...lunch on a (hopefully) clear, warm day.

Thanks for your input.
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 10:36 PM

The Foreigner's Club is best known for its good and easily accessible public toilets, in addition to the location and views.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Very, very important! Many thanks.