Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lvng in 8days - FRA/BLQ/VCE - Crutch/wheelchair help? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lvng-in-8days-fra-blq-vce-crutch-wheelchair-help-805770/)

travelphile Sep 12th, 2009 11:45 AM

Lvng in 8days - FRA/BLQ/VCE - Crutch/wheelchair help?

Hi All,

This trip came upon me quickly over the last month or so, and I haven't had the proper time to anticipate it, read, read, read, all the wonders posted here, or even to lay out much of a plan. Luckily, I've been fortunate enough to do similar trips (not always to EU) over the last 7 years since I started learning from the Fodorites!

I ripped tendons/ligaments - not diagnosed that far & I don't care - in my foot/ankle. It was xrayed, not broken, but I feel like a cast would be easier than the braces I am working with.

Does anyone know of a place that would lend/rent a traveler crutches? I don't want to travel with them, but do feel my trip may go better if one day I beat up the foot walking, the next I switch to hurting the arms swinging along the medieval streets of Bologna and crossing bridges in Venice?

OR

Do art galleries & other large exhibits (Accademia in Venice for example) have wheelchairs or motorized buggies to borrow like our local grocery store would? Like crutches I would not use it fulltime, but having one part-time would assist in making my trip less painful.

Trip: BOS-FRA (taxi/bus/train to Landstuhl, 3 nights w civilian friend contracted there)
FRA-Bologna (Ryanair, staying at Casa Ilaria 3 nights)
BLQ to VCE (train, 3 nights Locanda del Ghetto)

Thoughts/experiences?

nytraveler Sep 12th, 2009 12:04 PM

I think you will need to check each of the major sights to see if they offer mobility devices. I know I saw a wheelchair (but not motorized) provided at the Vatican - but haven;t seen them elsewhere. But, of course, that doesn;t mean they don;t have them.

As for crutches - if they're to be really workable they need to be fitted to your height - so you may want to reconsider bringing them with you. If you prefer to find them - or a chair - in each city I would contact your hotels - they will definitely know the best local place to get what you need. (I've done this for a colleague at meetings in the US and the hotel was always able to have one waiting for our arrival.)

travelphile Sep 13th, 2009 07:45 AM

All very good pieces of advice ny. The sights would take calling (or may not have them) as under accessibility they only list if their are special tours for blind, deaf, etc... or they list the physical barriers one would face in a wheelchair. Both hotels are small inn's with owner as operator, but I could at least ask.

Anyone else been to a farmacia? I'm not worried about Germany since we will travel by our friend's car & I know they will drop me off in easy spots, etc.

Any other ideas on things I should miss due to the injury!? I know I'm not climbing any towers (BOO! I love the 'hidden' staircase in Venice), Doges Palace Secret Itin is out, anything in Bologna that will be tough? (I might need a 2nd post on this, eh?)

travelphile Sep 13th, 2009 07:46 AM

FRA is the Frankfurt airport code for anyone reading the title assuming I was going to France...

Mainhattengirl Sep 13th, 2009 08:25 PM

I saw you mention Ryan Air. You do know it doesn't fly out of Frankfurt airport don't you? You will need to take a bus from Frankfurt to Hahn, which Ryan Air jokingly refers to as Frankfurt Hahn, even though it is 120 km away. The bus costs 12 euro and takes about an hour and 45 min.

travelphile Sep 14th, 2009 01:37 PM

Mainhattengirl - Yes, I do know HHN is the Ryanair terminal. When we land in FRA we have 1.5 hrs to Landstahl I believe. HHN is a bit closer for us, but I'm thinking either way it's an all-nighter for a 6:40AM flight!

Sally30 Sep 14th, 2009 05:06 PM

Travelphile, good luck with the trip and your injury. Please let me know how you like Bologna when you get back. I am headed there in October.