Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Luzern to Zurich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luzern-to-zurich-1040889/)

rmgood Mar 22nd, 2015 08:08 AM

Luzern to Zurich

In June we will be on the final leg of our trip from the U.S. to Austria, Italy, and Switzerland. Is there an easy train stop between Luzern and the Zurich Airport with a scenic place (or places) close by for breakfast or lunch? Zug? Do you have to buy two train tickets?: or just one ticket, and get on or off at your convenience?

Thanks,

PalenQ Mar 22nd, 2015 08:52 AM

With full-fae tickets you should be able to buy a Lucene - Zurich Flughafen ticket and I believe get on and of anywhere en route -like at lovely Zug, on its own lovely lake - www.swisstravelsystem.com may have details on this - official site of Swiss railways in on it - other sites for great info in general on Swiss trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

And have no worries about being able to always get on trains - no need to buy any tickets in advance - so so many trains - just not a worry.

neckervd Mar 22nd, 2015 08:55 AM

The whole journey takes only 1 hr. I would have lunch at Lucerne, may be on the shore of the Lake.

PalenQ Mar 22nd, 2015 10:35 AM

I assumed they would have been in Lucerne for at least a day before and were looking to break up the one-hour or so journey to zurich Airport in a smaller town than Zurich and Zug is great for that though Zurich merits a quick look around too.

Pepper_von_snoot Mar 22nd, 2015 02:39 PM

I agree.

The trip is only one hour. Why would you stop for lunch?

But, if I had to stop for lunch, I would go to Hiltl in Zürich.

$$$$Posh Lunch: Terrasse at Hotel Baur au Lac.

Thin

PalenQ Mar 23rd, 2015 04:00 AM

Zurich Airport actually has some really nice restaurants and lots of shops - IME always best to get to the airport as early - you never know what snafus may pop up - the rare train strike or stoppage for some reason, etc.

neckervd Mar 23rd, 2015 07:35 AM

The last strike of Swiss Federal Railways took place in November 1918. At the moment, a strike of the best paid railroaders of Europe is difficult to imagine.

neckervd Mar 23rd, 2015 07:37 AM

The last strike of Swiss Federal Railways took place in November 1918. At the moment, a strike of the best paid railroaders of Europe is difficult to imagine.

PalenQ Mar 23rd, 2015 10:24 AM

No there was a strike in recent years - someone pointed it out - some regional strike in Lugano area - correcting me when I say strikes never happen. Besides a rail blockage due to some accident is more likely - don't dally getting to the airport IMO.

Here's the bit on the major strike in 2008:

http://www.marxist.com/major-strike-...ay-workers.htm

neckervd Mar 25th, 2015 08:49 AM

Palen: I explained you a year ago or so that the so called "strike" at the Officine of Bellinzona had absolutely nothing to do with railway traffic.
SBB Cargo wanted to transfer the maintenance of their freight wagons from their work at Bellinzona to that at Yverdon. The staff in the maintenance plant of Bellinzona realized that this solution would have lead to higher costs for the company (their employer) and protested against it. The jobs of these people were never in danger, BTW.

PalenQ Mar 26th, 2015 08:26 AM

thanks neckervd! It's still my personal credo to be in the departure city the night before a non-refundable flight - rail lines can be blocked with accidents, signal malfunctions - rare but the old thing that rare things happen when you most need them not to.

neckervd Mar 26th, 2015 08:59 AM

I never suggested to arrive at the airport at the last possible moment. But be aware that even in the departure city, you can be blocked for an hour or so in a railway or metro tunnel if electricty falls out due to a accident or so.....

Therefore most people here buy a travel insurance policy which covers such events.

BTW: a few months ago, a Intercity train Geneva - Bern - Zurich airport - St. Gallen was blocked around Aarau because of an accident caused by a freight train which lead to the destruction of the catenary and the 2 tracks.
The train crew asked immediately by loudspeaker who among the passengers could risk to miss a flight and organized taxis for these people.

PalenQ Mar 26th, 2015 10:48 AM

The train crew asked immediately by loudspeaker who among the passengers could risk to miss a flight and organized taxis for these people.>

Wow - only in Switzerland I think would that thoughtfulness happen!