Luzern- Places to see within 2.5 hr train ride

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have asked this question on a different posting about Hotels in Luzern. I though it would get more play if I listed places to see separate.

I will have a rail pass for both Germany and Switzerland. Germany I know well so no help there, but for things to see around Luzern I would appreciate some advice. I will be there for 3 days. Zurich, I believe I can see in a little over a half of a day as I have been there 3 times. However, Luzern is new to me need some advise.

I have asked my wife to look and pick 5 - 6 places and then prioritize them. Should we have a day with not so nice weather we will be able to change that mourning.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Hi Willem46,

Your Pass is good on Lake Luzern (if it's a Swiss pass; probably also good if it's a two-country pass but not sure), so take a ferry cruise on the lake. Information at www.lakelucerne.ch

Also go to the town of Engelberg; you'll have to pay some extra to get to the top of Titlis, but you may want to do it. Information at www.titlis.ch and www.engelberg.ch.

You can get more information at Luzern's website at www.luzern.org.

Have fun!

s
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM
JN

I'd plan on a day in Luzern, doing a walking tour of the Altstadt, two covered bridges over the Reuss, Jesuit church, Hof Kirche, Lion monument and Bourbaki panorama.

On a second day, I'd suggest a Mt. Pilatus tour: Bus to Kriens, cable car to Pilatus, cogwheel to Alpnachstadt, boat back to Luzern. Take the first clear day to do this trip. It rains/is foggy so much that you moght not get a chance to get up to Pilatus and see anything.

I'd devote much of a third day to the Swiss Transport Museum. This place is awesome: Imax, interactive exhibits, fascinating displays on the building of mountain tunnesl/roadways, various transportation vehicles etc.

For a hokey, but fun, experience, consider going to the Stadtkeller restaurant for their noon or evening music/entertainment dinner show, or the Wilhelm Tell boat/entertainment ride. They do traditional swiss dancing, alpenhorns etc.

For restaurants: Des Alpes is very good (fondue is wonderful) and has seats on the river walkway; Old Swiss House is great for an elegant splurge (schnitzel and geschnetzeltes (like strogonoff) are great, as are desserts); Cafe Hug has nice riverside seating (inside and out) with great Raclette.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM

I'm not sure if it is in your 2 1/2 hour limit the you might consider going to the Bodensee (Lake Constance). Mainau island is a wonderful experience with lots of flowers, an orchid house and a butterfly house. Meersburg and Lindau on the German side of the lake are well worth visiting.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:18 PM

STEIN-AM-RHEIN is an almost perfectly preserved medieval village, famed throughout Switzerland for the intricacy of the 16th century frescoes which adorn an array of houses in the village.

http://www.steinamrhein.ch/xml_1/internet/de/intro.cfm

http://tinyurl.com/2p5wdm

http://www.stein-am-rhein.ch/picture...atz_neu__1.jpg