Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Luzern - Parking Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luzern-parking-question-592576/)

katzen Feb 19th, 2006 07:26 PM

Luzern - Parking Question

We will be staying in Luzern this summer. I asked our hotel (Wilden-Mann) if they had a parking garage. They emailed me back to say that there is a garage down the street where there bellhop would be happy to park our car ... all for the price of CHF 25.

Does anyone know of a place to park a car that is a bit cheaper or even free?

Thanks!

blackduff Feb 19th, 2006 07:47 PM

There is a bit of free parking along the street in the center of Lucern but it's harder and harder to find free places.

Across the river you'll find more places but most is metered spots now. In order to find free parking, you're going to walk a bit.

There's a large parking garage adjacent to the train station and it might be a little cheaper. Depending on how much time you're going spend in Lucern, you might find some weekly cards.

A bit more away, you're going to almost find parking places near the Transportation Museum but it's a walk from your hotel. Yet, it's a beautiful walk back to the hotel.

There's another method is park further out and take the trolley back. It's fast, and it's cheap.

Blackduff

kleeblatt Feb 20th, 2006 12:36 AM

Is CHF 25 for overnight parking? If so, I'm not sure you'll find anything else. As far as I know, the Transportation Museum does not allow overnight parking.

My advice is pay it. Parking is expensive in Switzerland. Many of the malls are even playing with the idea of charging their customers for parking. Ouch!

blackduff Feb 20th, 2006 12:45 AM

The hotel Wilden Mann not what I was thinking when I posted the first time. Actually the hotel is across the river, in the newer section. Nothing changes for Lucern for parking but it's across the street from the parking garage.

For some good news, the hotel has a very good restuarant. It's not cheap but the food is quite nice.

Blackduff

Cicerone Feb 20th, 2006 02:01 AM

I have to say I am not aware of even small towns in Switzerland that have free parking during the day, most everywhere I can think of is metered. I would be very surprised if a large town like Lucrene has any free day parking at all. However, some oarking is free overnight from about 9 am to 8 am, but you have to move your car in the morning (and of course be lucky enough to find a space at night). You have to read the signs to see the exact hours as they can vary fron spot to spot (a little German of course helps.)

Parking is free all day on Sundays (from 12 midnight Saturday to 12 midnigt Sunday) and on public holidays.

You might try to public parking garages at the Lucerne train station, but I think you are going to get pretty close to CH25 for 24 hours, so it probably is not worth it.

This is why I always tell people to be careful when thinking about renting a car! Parking is hard to find and expensive!

katzen Feb 20th, 2006 06:24 AM

Thank you for the replies. We are going to be there 3 nights. The CHF 25 is for overnight parking. We'll take a look around when we arrive, but I have a feeling we will just pay it. :) Thanks!