Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   luxurylink.com (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luxurylink-com-494832/)

njf Jan 12th, 2005 09:40 AM

luxurylink.com

Hss anyone used this site to book hotels/make vacation reservations? Any experiences?

Kristina Jan 12th, 2005 10:26 AM

Yes, I've used it twice. Once to book a W hotel in New York, and another time to book a 5 night package at a hotel in Costa Rica. We had no problems either time. They are a reputable company.
In my opinion, some of the packages are good deals, with lots of little extras and upgraded rooms, and some are not. It pays to do your homework and check out the going rates at the places up for bid. Like any auction, figure out your max and don't get carried away.

Patty Jan 12th, 2005 01:29 PM

I've 'won' 3 auctions on luxurylink if that's what you're referring to. The travel packages that you can purchase without bidding usually aren't good deals. Even with auctions, you should do your research. I also call the property before bidding to make sure they have availability for the dates I need. Once you win an auction, you contact the property directly to make reservations. My experiences have all been great.

kgh8m Jan 12th, 2005 02:23 PM

Ditto Patty. The "Best Buy" Auctions are no great shakes, as you can typically do better for lodging alone by checking the hotel's own website. Often they add in extras you don't want or need to create an inflated retail price.
And you should also be careful about an auction price, as well. Verify on your own if you think it is a good price for the hotel and the area. Sometimes it is a discount, but not a big enough discount.
As with all auctions, it's best to bid at the last minute, so you don't have too much competition driving up the price. The prices are usually better on the "Best Shot" auctions, because you can only bid once - so make sure you do it at the end of the bidding period.

Pay attention to the restrictions on the package, and call the hotel in advance to make sure that they can honor the package on dates you're willing and able to travel. In my case, I called the hotel, got confirmation they had the dates open, bid, and won the auction within an hour.

The hotel we booked was very familiar with Luxury Link, so the transaction went smoothly. Bring your LL email confirmation to the hotel when you check in. If it's a good rate, it's a great and easy way to get luxury accommodations.

BeachGirl247 Jan 12th, 2005 03:10 PM

I, too, have purchased trips on LL. Had no problems. Agree with above comments -- check the hotel/resort for your dates before you purchase. Some auctions are a real steal. Some aren't. Do your homework first so you know what's a bargain and what's not.

jlsayre Jan 12th, 2005 03:35 PM

I also agree with all the comments as I have purchased 5 package best shot and/or auctions. How ever we are about to try it overseas. Two packages in Spain and one in Paris. Hope it runs as smoothly as the ones here in the US. As anyone else used them overseas. Thanks

kgh8m Jan 12th, 2005 03:43 PM

jlsayre: My one package was in Paris. No problems at all. In fact, our package included a meal at the hotel's restaurant one night, subject to a more limited menu. When we arrived at dinner, we were presented with a menu card that read "Luxury Link" at the top.

So I guess they were very used to having Luxury Link guests!