Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Luxury Venice Hotels (Gritti Palace, Danieli, Cipriani, R&E) - how much do they really cost?

Search

Luxury Venice Hotels (Gritti Palace, Danieli, Cipriani, R&E) - how much do they really cost?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 07:57 AM
sam

I am planning a trip to Venice and would love to stay at one of these hotels, although I know that they are expensive bordering on astronomical. I have searched on the web (expedia, individual hotel sites) and I am finding prices of a minimum of $700/night. I played around with dates throughout the fall, next year, etc. <BR>My question is whether any of you have stayed at these hotels and how much you paid. I know in NY or London, for example, the luxury hotels often run promotions and you can stay at a great hotel for a much lower price that the "rack rate." Is this the case for Venice as well? or because these hotels are smaller and there are always travellers to Venice is it impossible to find a lower price? Any experience and suggestions as to how far in advance to book (last minute v. well in advance), where to book (websites, etc.) and what to ask for would be great. One more thing, if one does have to pay the big bucks, did you find the hotel lived up to the price?

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 08:09 AM
elaine

I haven't stayed at them, just dreamed.<BR>The Cipriani is currently running a few specials on its website,including a package called Gourmet Venice which includes a deluxe room and a couple of lunches and dinners. <BR>When I inquired about their regular rate for a double room a couple of months ago, with an early Oct 2001 arrival date,the price I was quoted was about $600 per night, I don't think more than that. They quote their prices in both Lire and Euros of course, so make sure you're translating the correct currency into dollars.<BR>The Europa Regina is another 5- star that is the favorite, often-repeated, hotel of some friends of mine, I believe a double can be had for about $500.<BR>Location is outstanding, less than 5 minutes from San Marco.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Tom

I have been to Gritti Palace and Danieli before, but my very favorite is Hotel Europa and Regina (another Starwood property). In my opinion, it can't be beat!

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 10:15 AM
Abby

We just came back and stayed at the Danielli. It was about $550 a night. Our room did not have a view- but we absolutely loved the hotel. It is beautiful. The rooms aren't big, but it has a real old world feeling. The staff was also very helpful. Also, at the Gritti, Danielli and Europa Regina, you can use the pool/beach at the Westin Excelsior on the Lido. That was very nice as well.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 02:16 PM
coco

One of the couples with whom I've just been travelling with in Italy are AT the Europa &amp; Regina right now. As I made the reservation for them last week, I can tell you they are paying $460 (quoted as 543 Euros) for Wednesday and Thursday nights and $505 (quoted as 596 Euros) for Friday and Saturday nights. This is for a canal view superior room. As a general rule, rates often change upwards for the Friday/Saturday dates.<BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 02:55 PM
kam

Just one more vote for the Europa. Great location, huge bathroom! Nicest staff I've ever met in Italy. Last there in 1996 for about $250 but I'm sure that's not very helpful to you now.On the same trip, we met friends at the Danieli and I found their lobby to be excessively loud and busy, but didn't see the rooms. I think the difference between NYC and London and Venice is that Venice is primarily a tourism city--no businessmen so they don't need the weekends filled. If you can possibly swing it, I would stay for just one night at least.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Lori

Visited there in May. I recommend the Londra Palace. Just a few doors down from the Danieli. Ask for their Room with a View plan and try to get a room on the top floor. We had a huge room with two large windows overlooking the lagoon. Breakfast and either lunch or dinner is included in the plan. About $700.night including breakfast and dinner. Food was excellent.<BR><BR>We were going to stay at the Cipriani but its across the lagoon and you need to take the private launch or vaporetto every time you want to come over to the main island. Looked lovely, but most of the rooms do not have a view of the water. For us, a view on the water is most important.<BR><BR>Do lunch on the top terrace of the Danieli for good view. If the Londra was full, I'd probably opt for somewhere along the lagoon instead of the Grand Canal. Closer to Piazza San Marco where all of the night action is. Don't miss sitting in one of the cafes there at night sipping espresso or a good dessert wine. Made our trip.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 01:38 AM
Joelle

It really depends when you are travelling. For instance, I am looking at those hotels in August and they offer a promotional rate from Sunday night till Friday morning (5 nights), while a higher price is applied for the week-end nights. When you try the Sheraton web site and select your hotel, tick the promotional rate box and some of these may appear.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Glen

Check rates daily! They change regularly. Was able to book the Europa Regina for $400 per night over this past Memorial Day weekend for a standard room. Booked months early and noted that rates went up and down $150 a night for a standard room from one day to the next. Be ready to jump when you find a good rate. <BR><BR>Don't miss having a drink at the Bar at the ER. The view of Della Salute at dusk is something else. <BR><BR>Don't forget the Bauer directly next door to the ER. Also luxury and generally more expensive.<BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Marcie

We stayed at the Hotel Europa and Regina and had a magnificent room with a huge balcony (table and chairs where we'd sit out each morning and evening).The balcony was at least as large as our room. I know we were upgraded because of Starwood Platinum status but this room was just wonderful and a view to die for! I don't remember the room number, but it was an end room with a big corner balcony. Should you stay here, ask for that room!

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Shannon

We stayed at the Danieli the first week in April and payed 800.000 Lira per night (booked through the Westin website, rates did change so check back often). My husband is a member of the Starwood Preferred Guest club, and has a gold level membership, so we were bumped up from a standard room to a lagoon view room with a balcony. The room itself was wonderful and large with a nice sitting area, and even had remote controlled shutters that came down over the windows). The first night that we stayed they brought us a basket of fruit and a box of chocolates (which I still have, can't bring myself to open them up!). With the exchange rate then, it ended up costing about $365 per night, which I thought was well worth it. It was the last leg of our trip and we were celebrating our 5th wedding anniverary. It gave us memories I will never forget!

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 08:25 PM
topper

TTT

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:14 AM
Cindy

I just booked the Europa and Regina for 253.00 Euro (around $222) for early August. Could it be that they lower the prices as the date becomes closer? The price sounds strangely cheap.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 08:46 PM
Carol

The rate at the Westin Europa and Regina did go down a few weeks ago. The Westin hotel chain has a special summer promo. If you are going to Venice this summer, I would try to get that rate because it's the lowest I have ever seen (probably run of house) which means you probably wouldn't get a canal view.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:50 AM
elaine

Cindy, Carol<BR>did you get your cheaper rates at the <BR>E-R via Westin toll-free, or emailing the hotel?<BR>I've been quoted only MUCH higher rates<BR>for late Sept-early Oct--it may be a seasonal issue. Current quotes come out to about $600 per night for a double room with "partial view" which is all they told me they have available. I'd do without any view at all if I could stay there.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:11 AM
Frank

Definitely seasonal pricing. Impossible to touch the Europa Regina for less than $400 per night during spring and fall.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:19 AM
John

Elaine: Weekend rates at the ER are generally much higher. Check weekdays rates, I think you will do much better, more in the $450 range.

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 09:18 AM
Cindy

I saw the $222 price on web site and called 800 number. Anyone know of any deals in Rome in late July/early August?