Luxury trip to Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - looking to plan my honeymoon in the fall to the Amalfi Coast. We have roughly 4-5 nights. We are looking to stay in one place and day trip to Capri and the other towns. We have been recommended the following hotels: anyone have thoughts on where to stay. Please keep in mind we are looking to spend a lot of time relaxing on the water/at pool and will explore more at night.

Hotel Santa Caterina
Il San Pietro Di Positano
Le Sirenuse
Palazzo Sasso
Casa Angelina

Thanks very much
David
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 11:59 AM

When in the fall are you going? I'm not sure when hotel pools close down but they definitely aren't open late in the year.

We stay in Sorrento at the Excelsior Grand Vittoria - but that's because we have a car and like to explore (Pompei, Naples Archo Museum etc). But we go in May, when they have just opened the pools for the year.

September is fine - but if you're thinking about November that's too late in the year.
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 12:02 PM

The location should dictate---Ravello is too isolated and you may not get direct transport to Capri from Amalfi in the fall. I would stay in Positano and Sirenuse has the better location. Here are some pics from last May.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=4481
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 10:12 PM

The Hotel Santa Caterina was almost adjacent to our hotel in Amalfi. It looks gorgeous and has a great reputation - I made a mental note that I'd love to stay there one day! It's just up the road from the town of Amalfi, and while the hotel entrance faces onto the main road that goes around the peninsula, most of the property slopes down from there to the sea in a secluded and romantic way.

(By point of comparison, we stayed at Hotel Miramalfi and it was a 10-15 minute walk downhill into town. The Sita bus stops all along the road, so daytrips to other towns are quite straightforward.)

While not our honeymoon, we were looking primarily to relax during this part of our vacation. We really enjoyed the more low-key atmosphere of Amalfi vs. our subsequent time in Sorrento, though our "nightlife" consisted of nothing more than leisurely dinners in town(!). (From what I understand, there are a few clubs in the area, including The Africana in Praiano that I heard is quite popular. We just never quite got it together to go!)
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 03:44 PM

Another vote for Le Sirenuse! Positano offers you relaxation and access to other places if you want. Plus nightlife ranges from a glass of wine under the stars and moonlight to dancing all night long. We loved staying in Sorrento, but it wasn't nearly as romantic and relaxing as Positano.
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:34 PM

Do like the Excelsior in Sorrento, especially the Caruso suite which we like when staying there. Positano Sirenuse is fabulous as well. Easy access from Positano to Capri etc. Best wishes!
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
We spent our 20th anniversary at Palazzo Sasso. It was beautiful, romantic and we had delicious food. Best tiramisu I've ever eaten in fact. We did take a day trip to Capri and another to Pompeii. The day trips were long, but we are old and survived. (Well, old to you!)
Old Jan 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM

Check out LHW for deals...Become a member and the lux will follow..Positano is a delight. Congrats!!!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 08:31 AM
ekc

We have a friend who lives on the AC and who is a guide who has accompanied clients all over Italy and he swears that Il San Pietro is one of the best and most picturesque hotels in Italy. Depending on the time of year you are going, if you are looking for pool and ocean time, it can't be beat!
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Il San Pietro (where I have never and alas probably will never stay!) is in the most incredible location - I'd choose that over the Sireneuse is I had the choice you have!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:09 AM

I have a friend whose husband is Italian and they all stayed at Hotel Santa Catarina several years ago and they loved it. I hope to make it there some day!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM

denisea, I'm beginning to think we have a lot of preferences in common!
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 11:44 PM

We have stayed at the San Pietro. The location is stunning although it is a bit out of town. The service was also exemplary and the food excellent. We highly recommend it.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 03:13 AM

You should let us know exactly when in the fall you plan to travel. If you plan a lot of pool time, you might want to limit yourselves to luxury hotels with heated swimming pools; most of those you mention do have heated pools. Do note that some of them have pools that are quite small....do not know how important this would be to you...

Make sure to inquire,as noted above, as to weather the pool, and beach clubs, will remain open for your dates.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone who had posted. I think we are going to stay at Sirenuse and add a few days at Palazzo Sasso at the end of the trip. The location seemed to win over the water amenities.

Do you have any restaurant recommendations in either location? We will be there the first two weeks of September.

Thanks again for the posts.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Lastly - transportation wise - what is the most efficient way to get from Naples Airport to Sirenuse. Train or taxi? Any taxi/car reservation recommendations?

Also, will be going back to Rome before we fly out. So from Palazzo Sasso to Rome?

Thanks
David
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM

Private drive in both cases.
As far as the Naples station on return.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 03:28 PM

The Sirenuse is absolutely wonderful. Dining room is lit by a thousand candles. Gorgeous tiles abound, great pool. Perfect.

Had lunch at the Palazzo Sasso last May. Also a fantastic property.

Best wishes.
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM

The train doesn't go south along the Amalfi coast - even the local line stops at Sorrento. If you are looking at a luxury vacation definitely hire a private driver. (For touring as well as getting to the hotel). You won;t want to be waiting by the side of the road for the packed tourist bus that is the major means of transit.)