Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   LUXURY HOTEL RECOMENDATION-ROME (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luxury-hotel-recomendation-rome-222852/)

KB May 20th, 2002 03:05 PM

LUXURY HOTEL RECOMENDATION-ROME

I was hoping that you can all help. My sister and I will be visiting Rome for the first time at the end of June. We would like your help in staying at a hotel which is luxurious as well as centrally located. I ideally would want to stay at the Westin Excelsior but cannot justify spending 650 Euros/night. (seems that once July 1 comes along-- rate drops in 1/2). <BR><BR>Any great hotels you can recomend that are located ideally and are considered 5*. I also am not a big fan of older hotels-- like staying at more updated places. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help!<BR>

monica May 20th, 2002 03:55 PM

You may want to try the Marriott Hotel Flora. I promise it isunlike other Marriotts.I am not sure whether it is classified as a 4 star or a 5 star, but it a beautiful hotel. It is elegant without being old fashioned. I also dislike staying in old hotels. It is located right by the Villa Borghese, which is a very nice part of the city.

Kay May 20th, 2002 06:43 PM

Friends stayed at the Eden Hotel in Rome recently, it is 5 star, close to the Spanish Steps, nice room with a large bathroom (including bath which is unusual in Italy). Dining room level which has a bar and terrace area as well has a wonderful view over Rome.<BR>Kay

Maria May 21st, 2002 03:26 AM

I've seen reviews of a hotel that opened recently, Hotel de Russie( Sp??) and it looks lovely. I think it's very expensive. My husband has stayed at the Eden during business trips( lucky him!) and thought it was beautiful and very classy.

Mark May 21st, 2002 06:08 AM

Try the Ambasciatori Palace on the Via Veneto. It's upscale, 4-5 stars and close to the Borghese Gardens, a few blocks from the Spanish Steps and on one of the few tree lined boulevards in Rome. I have also been to the St. Regis Grand, which is very expensive and gorgeous, the Eden and Hotel de Russie are excellent suggestions as well. Avoid the Raphael, its nice but a little noisy.

maria May 21st, 2002 06:57 AM

during our stay in rome last may, my<BR>husband and i stayed at the d'inghelterra near the spanish steps.<BR>the location was wonderfull!!!<BR>you will be right in the center of<BR>many great boutiques and restaurants.<BR>i am returning to italy with my sister<BR>in july and we will stay there for<BR>a few nights. the service is excellent!<BR>i can't remember the travel magazine<BR>but it is one that came out this month<BR>and they mention the hotel in there.<BR>there is a full-page picture of the <BR>smiling doorman who you will notice<BR>immediately.

jeff May 21st, 2002 07:10 AM

Last year i stayed at the Bernini Bristol which was a 10 minute walk from the Spanish Steps. It was very nice. I would also suggest the michelin website --www.michelin.com which lists hotels by comfort levels and expense.