Luxury Hotel in Vienna for 6 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since we will be staying in Vienna for six nights in August, I am anxious to find a very comfortable, and spacious hotel room.
I have looked at the Bristol hotel which seems to have mixed reviews. Has anyone actually stayed there?
Any other suggestions?
The Imperial is over the top from a price perspective, but am willing to pay for a special holiday. The Grand Hotel Wien?
Thanks
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Some family and I stayed at the Bristol exactly a year ago. It was very old world, service was excellent, location outstanding. It is not a new hotel, and my room had no view (some do) but it was in fine repair and all furnishings were luxurious and in excellent condition.
The restaurant Korso was also a great experience.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:23 PM

I meant to add, our rooms were very spacious.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Elaine. Do you happen to know what category your rooms were? superior, deluxe and what were the size of the bathrooms? Thanks again.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Have you considered an apt.--we booked Apt. Prucha for our upcoming summer trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:45 AM

I don't know if it qualifies as luxury, but the Hotel Astoria right in the Ped. zone is very nice. If you ask for the room above the sign in front, you will actually have a little balcony to people watch as well.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:59 AM

I think the rooms at the Bristol are quite varied. What I've read about the classic room is that they're very compact. The room we had overlooked the Opera house and had a small step out balcony. I believe it's what they call a 'Westin guest office' on the spg.com booking description because it did have a desk/ergonomic chair/fax machine in room. The room decor was very old world. The bath was marble with heated floors. Both the room itself and the bathroom were spacious.

I uploaded pics of our room on hotelscoop.com - just do a search for Vienna, Austria and scroll down to the listing for the Bristol.

I believe the Jr suites have balconies with seating. If you are SPG Platinum, they'll automatically upgrade you.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Not exactly a traditional "luxury" hotel, but still quite luxurious is the Hotel Altstadt. The suites are very spacious and comfortable and quite high end. The one called "otto" (I think it is) has hidden stairway to a little roof terrace off the giant living room, another one has a Kitchen/sitting room, those are the only 2 I've stayed in but there are several others I did not see, one with a baby grand. This is one of my favorite hotels and sorry do not have occasion to visit Vienna more often!
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 12:40 PM

Didn't mean to make it sound like they'll automatically upgrade you all the way from classic room to jr suite if you're SPG Plat in my earlier post. The upgrade is based on availability and what room category you booked originally. The room categories at the Bristol in order of lowest to highest priced are:
Classic room
Deluxe room
Westin guest office
Junior suite
Corner suite
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 08:01 PM

I've had super service in the two Hilton Hotels inside the ring. The prices aren't too high. I'm staying outside the ring next week in the Hilton on the Danube and it is very convenient and comfortable and less costly. It has a free shuttle bus every hour to and from the city center and free parking for the car. It also offers free airport shuttles.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 09:31 PM
DAX

I think Bristol still has the best location, but unfortunately we have never stayed there. Personally I don't think the ANA Grand is that great. In the beginning, I was impressed by the oval shaped room with perfectly panelled walls and multiple moldings and then marble everywhere down to the lobby. Eventually it felt fake and reminded us of a luxury hotel in Las Vegas which is terrific in Nevada but out of place in old world Vienna. I think it was over renovated that it lost its sense of history.

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:05 PM

I have stayed at The Bristol and The Imperial.

I prefer The Bristol location. I was upgraded (Starwood gold) to a beautiful, very large, elegantly furnished room; but it faced the back on a low floor, and I had to walk through a long hallway which felt like a service corridor. Good (not great) service; good value.

The Imperial is nicer; more regal and grand. Beautiful, but very pricey. IMHO, The Bristol is a much better value in a superior location. If money is no object, and you insist on "the best", The Imperial may be for you.

Good luck.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 01:57 AM

I spent a week in the Grand and enjoyed it. My room was not at all as over the top as Dax described it. It was very comfortable, I liked being able to control everything from my phone, the service was excellent. I also liked having the Japanese option for breakfast. The exercise room on the top floor was nice, as well.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:24 AM

What about Le Meridien? We stayed there a few weeks ago and it is certainly luxurious (5 stars). Very silent rooms, warm bath tiles, modern and very pretty design. We had an executive room which I would definitely recommend - I've heard that the standard (superior) rooms are a bit on the small side. Location perfect - on Opernring opposite the Opera.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Hi Kate-
I have just booked six nights at the Imperial Hotel for the end of May. If you book for either five or six nights at that hotel, or a combination of Westin hotels, they have a package. It costs $305 -- yes dollars; not euros -- which includes all taxes and a buffet breakfast. I will be on the top floor, which might not be where the best rooms are located, but how bad can it be? I think the reservationist told me that I could cancel up to two weeks before my arrival. I was told that I will not be billed until one month before my arrival date. (I am wondering whether there will be a conversion fee since I am being charged in dollars.) I think it is in effect during August. It does not hurt to call and ask about the package. I, too, was thinking of the Bristol -- mainly for the location -- but Trip Advisor did not tout it too highly. Wherever you stay, enjoy.
Old Mar 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for so many good suggestions. I will look into them. I am a bit concerned about some of the mixed reviews on the Bristol. The Imperial was much more expensive. I will look into the Meridian. Is it's location as good as the Bristol? Thanks again
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 10:44 AM

As to the location of Le Meridien, you really can't be more central in Vienna, I think - opposite the Opera on Opernring, and within 5 minutes walking of the museums, Kartnerstrasse and the Burgtheater.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I spent 5 nights at the Meridien at the beginning of the month and I'm not that sure I would stay there again. I liked it well enough, but the shower was annoying and I've decided I don't like those raised bowl sinks. Also, re the location, in nice weather I agree that it's great, but it was SOOO cold when I was there, way below freezing every day and WINDY, that the walk back at night from the ubahn stop felt like a lot more than 5 minutes! Next winter, I will either pay a little more and stay at the Grand (at least you can walk through the Ringstrassen gallery to get to the hotel) or pay less and stay at the Kaiserin Elisabeth or the new Style Hotel by the Herrengasse ubahn stop.