Luxury Hotel in London and Paris under $500 a night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But here is the catch. I will be in London and Paris with my too sons (16 and 17) in the early summer, so I will need either two beds or one bed and a rollaway. Prices are so through the roof, that it is hard to find a luxury hotel. I would like a 5 star hotel or 4 star that is not "retro" or "contemporary" but instead captures the true essence of each of these beautiful cities. I would like an old world hotel. Thank you so much for helping me out!
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:35 AM

Just to clarify. You want a 4 or 5 star hotel, but don't want to pay a 4 or 5 star rate? Correct? If so, look at priceline.com
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 07:39 AM

You can try the Langham in London. I stayed there on a business trip, and while its not Claridges or the Connaught, it does have an English feel. I can't imagine it being over $500 per night, but I could be wrong. It also has an excellent gym.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Well, I am willing to pay the 4 star/ 5 star price, but I really just need space for the three of us. I will check the Langham right now! Any more suggestions?
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:38 AM

I don't understand the priorities here. Is space enough for three people the main issue? I don't know about London, but in Paris you can find a spacious, attractive, charming room for three people for considerably under $500.

There are no 5-star hotels in France. And are you aware that the star rating system is such that a 3-star hotel may be much more desirable in some respects than a 4-star? It isn't at all about glamour and charm and service, but rather more about amenities.

Paris has a nuber of nice hotels with triple or quad rooms, as well as chambres comunicantes (essentially two double rooms sharing a common corridor and sometimes sharing a bath). A search on this board will probably reveal a healthy list of such places.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I do not know that much about hotels in Paris and London. I want to have space, but I also want to be in a historic, traditional hotel with excellent service. So, I will throw the star system I was using earlier and just say that I want a "luxury" hotel with room service and also a concierge.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:00 AM

The Connaught is very reasonable (relatively speaking) so contact them with your request.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:07 AM

They have 4* and 4*L hotels in Paris, that's all-- they just use 4*L instead of 5*. There are only about 10-15 4*L hotels. I don't think any 3* hotel is going to be what you consider luxury.

I don't know rates for that many people, that sounds like a problem at a luxury hotel, because that is two rooms perhaps, or a suite. But maybe it is possible. Somehow I can't picture luxury hotels with rollaway beds, but I'm sure that is my poor imagination.

There are many traditional French hotels -- try the Lutetia, a 4* on the Left Bank, excellent location. I don't know if it is going to classify as "luxury", but it is a nice 4* hotel and a classic. I think you would like it
http://www.lutetia-paris.com/index_f.html
I think that is in your price range -- they list some room specials at 260 euro during some months, including July as it is a low hotel period. Probably not in June, if that is when you'll be there, as June is peak price period.

I think you might have a problem with that price at the real luxury hotels, like Crillon.

YOu can try Priceline for London. I don't think you'll get a luxury hotel on them for Paris -- at least, never heard of anyone doing that. They tend to award large, modern, std 4* hotels in Paris on Priceline, I think.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:28 AM

Here's another hotel you might like in your price range:

http://www.thesteingroup.com/colbert/

I don't see mention of a triple room on their own website, but a google search did bring up lots of related Colbert Hotel sites that mentioned they have a triple room.

Here are a couple more that have triples to check out:

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75006vieuxparis.htm

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75005resajac.htm

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75001mayfair.htm

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007ducstsimon.htm
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM

i think Hotel Lutetia in Paris captures the real essence of the city. It is a wonderful art deco hotel and should be able to meet your criteria.

http://www.mcdougalladventures.com/f...-hotel-lutetia
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM

With 2 lively teenage boys... there is an apartment in my choice Hotel, the Hotel Relais du Louvre in the 1eme.
Right across the street from the east end of the Louvre...an ancient beautiful church immediately across the street (now the 1eme's, someone will correct this phrase, "town hall&quot...and the services/staff were wonderful. It is pretty classic. Google their website, I believe the apartment is more like 380E's, which would be around $450 a night.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM

I stayed at the intercontinental (right by the opera) We had two rooms, but one was set up for my 3 kids with two larger beds and a roll away. They liked the area with the Galleria Laffette nearby(the boys went off by themselves and ate at the food court there a couple times).
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:37 AM

speaking for London, the Langham Hilton is a good choice, and British. It's also close to Oxford Street and Soho so you will have things to do not far from your doorstep.

One Aldwych would be my top choice, but you may find it too contemporary. I'm not sure if it's in your price range, you might get a deal around 300 pounds possibly but you might have to search for it. right now they are having specials around 185 pounds, but it ends in early January.

It's in a really fabulous location though - walk out the door to Covent Garden, close to Trafalgar Square, and not too far of a walk to Parliament /Big Ben (esp for 16-17 yr olds!)
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:43 AM

Just to clarify - you can probably get a 4* traditional style hotel for that price- although I would never try to put a 16 or 17 year old on a cot for any period of time. (You've been given some suggestions here.)

But - if by "luxury" you're talking about a 5* "name" hotel in either city - you'll have trouble getting a double for $500 per night - never mind a triple.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 10:47 AM

ps. the Dorchester would be very British, also spendy and in a very posh location but not next to trendy things your teens might like. but it's very classy.

friends of mine have stayed at Claridges, they loved it - it's more classic British and is also spendy. I don't know the exact location though, somewhere in Mayfair.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM

The Langham is now no longer under Hilton, and has been refurbished throughout, and the service level upped. As a result, it's expensive.

I too could recommend the Dorchester, Claridge's, etc. but they're not in that price range. Only The Connaught comes within budget.

As for the Dorchester not being near "trendy things", it's on a 10 minute walk to Bond St. and another 5 mins to Soho.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Wow! You guys are such a major help! What about the Landmark?
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 12:47 PM

The Landmark is a good property in as much as it has a spa with swimming pool which is something of a rarity in deluxe London. Rooms are large, service is supposedly pretty good.

However, it is a fifteen minute walk from Mayfair so isn't that central, but then again what's half an hour extra a day?
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:13 PM
ira

Hi RB,

In London, you might want to consider the Hotel Russell

http://london-hotels.hotels-london.c...-russell.hotel

Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM

Check out the Hotel Goring in Londonl....a wonderful very British hotel with a stellar reputation. We stayed there a few years ago and they had a "family rate". Can't recommend this hotel highly enough....definitely a luxury hotel with incredible service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -