Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Luxembourg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luxembourg-713142/)

chiquilette Jun 14th, 2007 08:44 AM

Luxembourg

I will be in Luxembourg at the beginning of August for work and will have only a couple of days or so to travel somewhere else in Europe. Given my limited time frame, I'd like to go someplace that I can access quickly and cheaply, either by train or air. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Padraig Jun 14th, 2007 08:50 AM

Do you eliminate Luxembourg from the list of possibilities? I don't like the city greatly, but the rest is nice enough.

kerouac Jun 14th, 2007 09:06 AM

The north-south commuter line will take you to both Metz and Nancy, which are very nice cities.

chiquilette Jun 14th, 2007 09:23 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking maybe of going to Paris for those couple of days, and returning home from CDG. I have never been to Paris, will be a solo traveler, but would want to make the most of those 2 extra days after meetings in Luxembourg.

Padraig Jun 14th, 2007 09:26 AM

If you haven't yet been to Paris, then there is no contest. Go!

chiquilette Jun 14th, 2007 09:28 AM

Any suggestions of where to stay, or at least the best area to stay in? Any suggestions for those 2 days will be greatly appreciated.

kerouac Jun 14th, 2007 09:32 AM

Now that the TGV-Est is in operation, Paris is only 2 1/2 hours from Luxembourg. Get your Prem's tickets and print them yourself at www.voyages-sncf.com.

PalenQ Jun 14th, 2007 09:38 AM

Trier just over the border is perhaps Europe's oldest city - or one of them and has the best Roman relics north of the Alps.

And the Mosel Valley starts there - go to a place like Cochem (about hour by rail from Lux or so) and be in a dreamy Mosel wine town with the castle of your dreams protruding from the vineyards. Burg Eltz, one of Europe's most famous and comely castles is a few miles from Cochem.

And Luxembourg City itself is one of the most gorgeous cities in Europe - a deep gorge bisects it.

kerouac Jun 14th, 2007 09:39 AM

Ah, the Pont Adolphe....!

chiquilette Jun 14th, 2007 09:49 AM

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. Yes, I heard that Luxembourg is beautiful, but I think that 2 days in Lux City should be enough. Now to figure out Paris!

PalenQ Jun 14th, 2007 10:02 AM

One day in Lux city is enough! Beautiful but boring, as Padraig hinted at.

SAnParis Jul 12th, 2007 07:49 AM

Dinant is another good little day trip should you wish to stay in the country. Otherwise, I would meander up the Mosel if you have sufficient time.

DanM Jul 12th, 2007 07:58 AM

Do you have hotel reservations for ux City? If not, I recommend the Parc Belair. A really nice executive hotel on a beautiful park (my mom use to live on the same park on the opposite side from the hotel. There is also a great little resturant across the street and easy access to downtown, the airport, or the train station. Let me know if you need resturant recommendations or shops to buy good candy and the like.

hetismij Jul 12th, 2007 10:53 AM

Dinant is in Belgium!

PalenQ Jul 12th, 2007 10:54 AM

<Dinant is in Belgium>

let's don't hold that against it!

hetismij Jul 12th, 2007 11:09 AM

<<Dinant is in Belgium>

let's don't hold that against it!>>

:) I don't but SAnParis seems to think it is in Luxemburg.

SAnParis Oct 5th, 2007 09:51 AM

My error be it late, I was thinking of Clervaux, not Dinant.