Luton airport questions

Oct 13th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Luton airport questions

Hi all. I am looking at taking an EL AL flight from Tel Aviv to London in April. Flight lands at 10 pm at Luton airport. We are staying in Kensington. My question, would you just go into Kensington that night or stay at an airport hotel there and get into the city the next day? If you recommend staying there, do you have a hotel you prefer? Thanks for any advice.
Oct 13th, 2018, 04:22 PM

It's been a while since I last used Luton but, when I did, where I stayed depended on transport options. Fortunately I checked the trains for an early flight, assuming there would be one, but there wasn't, so I stayed the night before at the closest hotel to the terminal, a short walk away. All that to suggest you first check transport options for late evening to start. I realize they may be more comprehensive now.
Oct 13th, 2018, 05:43 PM

Kensington - or South Kensington (or maybe Earl's Court - lots of Earls Court properties like to claim Kensington)?

If it is Kensington things will be a tad more complicated than South Kensington or Earls Court. First the shuttle bus from the airport to the train station. Train To St Pancras. Piccadilly line to South Kens, Gloucester Rd or Earl's Court. For Kensington -- Piccadilly line to Earl's court, then District line to High Street Kensington. Shuttles/trains/tube all runs late but with less frequency. Me personally - I'd head in to London -- but be sure to advise the hotel of a late arrival. But if you don't want the hassle of a late trip -- book a Luton hotel for the night.
Oct 18th, 2018, 02:38 AM

We stayed at the Ibis hotel close to Luton Airport once and walked to the airport the next morning for a very early flight. From memory the walk was about 20 minutes. This was a number of years ago but there were no shops or anywhere to buy food nearby. Make sure you book a hotel at Luton Airport - not Luton the town.

Kay
Oct 18th, 2018, 07:12 AM

As already mentioned, there are several "Kensington" areas with various public transportation choices. You can go to the government's rapid transit planner, enter your hotel address, and see them. https://tfl.gov.uk

Google Maps provides a similar planner.

A good place to start for this sort of question is with the airport's website. Luton, like so many others, provides a section on transportation. Here it is:
https://www.london-luton.co.uk/to-and-from-lla
Oct 24th, 2018, 08:38 AM

I too would head into London to sleep. I am a big fan of justairports.com for car service, especially at night, if i have a large case. There services are reliable, cars clean, easy to reserve and good prices as compared to black taxis. They will track your flight as well - accept cash or credit. For 69 (credit) or 57 cash, you could get a saloon car for 4 people, each with 1 checked+1 hand luggage. However, I have also traveled via public transport from Luton to South Kensington - for me, it involved taking a shuttle bus to station, train into central london and then a tube. The TFL site that Southam recommended, is a good site as is google maps or citymapper. Will definitely be less expensive but for me, night/late/tiredness all play a factor into my decision.

Search this Thread