Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lunch spot on drive from Paris to Auxerre

Old Mar 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest a good place to stop for lunch while driving between Paris and Auxerre? We'll be with our fifteen-month old son, so it shouldn't be any place too fancy. Thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM

If you leave in the morning and take the A6, you should be in Auxerre by lunch...it's not that long a drive.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM

That was my first reaction, also, it's not that far (only about 2-1/2 hours by train). I went by train and don't know of a place that would make sense along the A6, but if you get a late start and need to eat, I'd just get off and find some casual place, I don't think that will be difficult. They have some of those cafeteria type places along some major roads to get something to eat. If I had to plan one, maybe Sens which is not too far off the A6 after entering Yonne department (it's on route 60 to the NE of the A6). YOu could then take route 6 from Sens into Auxerre without going back on A6, if you wanted. It sounds like you maybe have time to kill.

Sense is an official "floral village". This is a good thing, it's a title some organization gives out to towns known for their flowers, environment, and parks and gardens. It is 110 km from Paris and 60 km from Auxerre, so midway, more or less. This is their website
http://www.office-de-tourisme-sens.com/

If Sens is too big (population around 25K) and you don't want to plan that, I'd just not plan anything and look for something by the road if I had to stop and eat.

I enjoyed Auxerre, hope you do, too.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I've always read the books of the French writer Colette (the only woman given a state funeral) She went to school in Auxerre but her village is nearby, worth a stop if you have time, Saint Sauveur-en-Puisaye. Her home is now a private residence, with a memorial plaque but the chateau is now the Musee Colette. There are films shown in the top floor, adaptations of her books and interviews with her. There's a café and gift shop. Each step on the staircase is marked with a title of one of her books. Her bedroom is recreated there.
Old Mar 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM

If you do take Christina's suggestion of a stop in Sens (which is a good one), they have a beautiful cathedral with a great little museum attached, and treasury (but you might not be up for that with a 15 month old!). Parking in Sens is very easy, as they have a big parking area right in the middle of town near the TI. I spent one night there, and stayed at a Great Western hotel, Hotel de Paris et La Poste, which had a good restaurant. This hotel was quite close to the parking area in town, and is on rue de la Republique. That would make a nice break for you, for lunch.

By the way,I also spent a couple of days in Auxerre, and loved it.