Notices

Lunch on way from Rome to Siena

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch on way from Rome to Siena

Our flight arrives into Fiumicino at 11:30 AM. By the time we are in our rental cars and get to the A1 heading up to the Siena area,it could be 1 or 1:30PM. Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice town where we could stop for lunch? Orvieto has always been our lunch stop, but this time the flight gets in too late to get us there in time for a two-ish lunch. Thanks for any ideas.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:40 AM

I prefer taking the coast road[A12] as far as Tarquina and then over to Viterbo. That avoids the GRA and A-1. Then, take S-2 north all the way to Siena and stop at Bagno Vignoni for a brief respite.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Bob, I've never done this, usually take the A1. Do you think that the road from Viterbo on up towards Siena (SS2) would be much longer than A1? On your recommendation, my husband and I spent almost a week at San Quirico and enjoyed it. We also spent some time in Bagno Vignoni. So we know the drive from there to Siena on the SS2, but not from all the way down by Viterbo. Would you suggest waiting to stop for lunch At Bagno Vignoni, as time will not be on our side and I think it is such a small place with limited eateries. Although the footsies would appreciate a nice soak in the waters!
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:40 PM
ira

Hi P,

Have you considered getting a few things before you leave the airport and having a picnic?

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Ira: No.With this crowd I'm traveling with, I'll be happy if they all make it to the car rental offices in one piece, never mind trying to buy picnic supplies from the airport. We are 19, some in their early 80's, a few in their seventies and the rest scattered around the 40 - 50 range. This is a long planned family trip to visit the ancestral homeland.

But, come to think of it, maybe a pit stop at the Autogrill might work. Rest rooms, (always a concern with some in the group) and not too bad food.
Thanks Ira for the thought. Altogether I'd rather be eating at Il Ritovo with my husband, but......
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 04:00 PM

It may be a bit longer but sure is more fun. No, I do not suggest waiting that long---I would consider any of the small towns on the route---Vetralla comes to mind and is less than an hour from FCO. We stopped at a small bar there for panini and a cold beer.