Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lunch on venice lagoon ? Burano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lunch-on-venice-lagoon-burano-726945/)

loncall Aug 6th, 2007 09:42 PM

Lunch on venice lagoon ? Burano

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for lunch on Burano ? Da Romanos is a possibility has anyone vsited recently ?

MissPrism Aug 7th, 2007 12:58 AM

You can cross the bridge to Mazzorbo and visit the Antica Trattoria alla Maddalena
I really enjoyed the local wild duck.
When we visited, we were the only non-Italians or possibly non-Venetians in the place.

MissPrism Aug 7th, 2007 01:04 AM

This is a review of Antica Trattoria alla Maddalena
You should only go if you want a "proper" lunch. It is not a "pizza between two" sort of place ;-)

Opening Hours Noon-3p, 6p-10p F-W

This quiet, rustic restaurant has no pretensions. It is right next to the exit of the Vaporetto landing stage. This area is famous for hunting, so the game dishes are excellent.

Average Cost EUR 21

Decor

The clientele are local. The service is good and unpretentious.

Type of Cusine

It serves typical local cuisine, presented in the traditional way. The wine is all local.

Credit Cards not Accepted

caroline_edinburgh Aug 7th, 2007 01:17 AM

If you love seafood, the Gatto Nero.

hazel1 Aug 7th, 2007 08:59 AM

I second caroline's recommendation. We had a fabulous lunch at Il Gatto Nero. The seafood was simple but wonderful.

Bailey Aug 7th, 2007 09:26 AM

Miss Prism....sounds like a great recommendation! Is Antica Trattoria alla Maddalena next to the Mazzorba or the Burano Vaporetto landing?

Keep missing out on Il Gatto Nero...closed in November.

On Torcello....one stop away from Burano, there is another recommendation for a wonderful lunch....Locanda Cipriani. Delightful place for a leisurely lunch!!

Have a great time on the islands!!

suec1 Aug 7th, 2007 10:03 AM

We also went to Locando Cipriani for lunch - it was one of the highlights of the trip - they have a lovely terrace for outdoor dining as well as a garden for wandering when the weather is nice. Food was delicious, wine reasonable and tastey little extras were served. The service was just right - very gracious but not intrusive. I didn't think it was particularly expensive - no more so than many of the restaurants in Venice and the food was MUCH better! The vaparetto ride back to Venice was the perfect ending - great views of Venice from the lagoon. Have a wonderful trip!

marginal_margiela Aug 7th, 2007 10:08 AM

Thingorjus and his friend, the Countess de Billy, also highly recommend Gatto Nero.

Hello, darling.

MissPrism Aug 7th, 2007 10:55 AM

The Antica Trattoria alla Maddalena is by the Mazzorbo stop.
There is a bridge that takes you from Burano to Mazzorbo.

I'm not sure, but I imagine that boats will be more frequent to Burano.
It's a nice walk, anyway and not too far.

loncall Aug 7th, 2007 09:57 PM

Thanks for all these suggestions. Does anyone know how long the vaporetto ride between venice and burano takes ?

ellenem Aug 8th, 2007 05:48 AM

From Fondamenta Nuove, probably 30-40 minutes.