Search

Lunch near the Vatican museum?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch near the Vatican museum?

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Rome in 2 months and will be doing the Vatican area on one day with 2 of my friends. We have reservations for the 9:15am Scavi excavations and at 2pm the Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel.

I'm interested in restaurant recommendations (should have 2 hours between both tours) near the Vatican museum. Not looking for a huge meal, as we have dinner plans with our cruise friends that evening.

Thanks!

Monica
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:05 AM

There are 2 restaurants in the Vatican also. One is a pizzeria with wood burning ovens, if I remember correctly. We got there as they were bringing out pizzas as fast as they could. The other is a full service cafeteria with all sorts of cold and hot dishes. I have not eaten at that one.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:10 AM

I ate at that pizzeria when I was in Rome last fall ... and it was awesome and not very expensive. Everyone just gets their slices and stands or sits outside to eat (no tables). But I thought it was very good.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:14 AM

We had a wonderful seafood risotto lunch at AL Possato al Borgo (da Roberto) near the Vatican. It was recommended by our priest. I wish I could give you an address, but I can't find the list he gave us. The waiter was charming, food and wine delicious. And HOT...I love how Italians serve food piping hot.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:40 AM

You should be done with the Scavi tour well before 11 AM - make sure to go directly into St Peter's after you leave, that way you won't need to go back and stand in line at another time.

Do you know if you will need to wait in line for your 2 PM reservations or do you have it arranged so that you can just walk up? There are places directly across from the entrance if you are severely pressed for time. Mom and I had a gelato there while we were waiting for our 630 PM tour. I can't vouch for any other food there but at least it is convenient.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. The pizza place sounds good, but we'll need a place to sit and relax, as I'm going with an older couple who will need this break.

I'll have to see if I can find AL Possato.

I just re-checked and the Scavi tour is about 90 minutes, so that will get us out around 10:45am (11:00am if it doesn't start on time).

For the musuems/Chapel: According to my reservations, we can avoid the queue and arrive 30 minutes before the tour begins (entering at the side entrance on Viale vaticano).

Monica

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM

I can show you on a map an area which has a lot of restaurants - I ate at one of them in November 04 but I can't recall the name. There were a lot of restos around it though. I think Franco's report on Rome food gives great ideas about restaurants near there, if I recall correctly!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Pausanias

Here's a relevant excerpt from my trip report in February:

"After leaving the Basilica we had lunch at the small Hostaria Pizzeria “Da Vito and Dina” at 50 Via Degli Scipione, a few blocks away. The place had been recommended by an acquaintance, who’d been taken there by an acquaintance of his at the Vatican. It seems to have a small stream of local clientele as well as a trickle of tourists. A quiet, unassuming place to have a pretty good pizza or plate of pasta. Vito worked in a restaurant in California for a while, though he seems to have forgotten most of his English, and will show you a framed article about it showing him in a tux. He may introduce himself as Vito Corleone. If you need a bite while in the area give him a try -- I fear Dina rules with an iron hand, and the poor man needs a little friendly company."

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:46 AM
sjj

There's an Insalata Ricca restaurant near the metro stop for the Vatican Museum. As the name indicates, the specialty is salads. They run around $8, and I think they're delicious.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

JeanneB, I found it:

Al Passetto Di Borgo (Ristorante Da Roberto), Borgo Pio, 60-62.

Thanks for the other recommendations! Now I have a good list and need to choose. Da Vito sounds good. Well, they all do!

Monica
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:04 AM

There are tables in the pizzeria in the Vatican! My family and I sat there and ate.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Where is the pizzeria in the Vatican?

Monica
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:13 AM

I highly recommend Tre Pupazzi, where we ate in May on our way to the Vatican Museums. It's just a few blocks from the museum and was a delightful place to sit and have a nice lunch. I had a yummy gnocchi with shrimp and asparagus along with insalata caprese - delicioso! Here's the decription of the restaurent from the Fodor's restaurant guide:

The "three puppets," after which the trattoria is named, are the worn stone figures on a fragment of an ancient sarcophagus that embellishes a building on this byway near the Vatican. Little has changed here since the place was built in 1625, and the restaurant upholds a tradition of good food, courteous service, and reasonable prices. The menu offers classic Roman and Abruzzese trattoria fare, including fettuccine and abbacchio, plus pizzas at lunchtime, a rarity in Rome. The restaurant opens early, at noon for lunch and 7 for dinner. AE, DC, MC, V. Closed Sun. and Aug.

Address: Borgo Pio 183, at Via dei Tre Pupazzi, Rome, Italy
Phone: 06/68803220
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Dino & Tony's Hosteria
It's one of my favorite Rome restaurants.
Do a search and you'll find many agree.

A priest working at the Vatican once told me to start walking by the many restaurants nearby.
If you see tables of priests, assume there is good food at reasonable prices there.
It's never failed for me.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Monica:
Please tell me how you found the address for da Roberto. I couldn't find anything on Google or the Rome piaginegialle
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:50 AM

Never mind...I see I had spelled it wrong. (Like i mis-spelled paginegialle in the above post!).

Thanks for finding the address. We had hoped to find it again when we're there in November.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

JeanneB, I was actually looking for another restaurant and yours was included in the list.

Good idea about looking for hungry priests in restaurants!

Monica
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM

I wish I could tell you exactly where the pizzeria and cafeteria were. I just know that they were close to the museum exit, close to the restrooms.

I'll try to find out more info.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Unfortunately, the vatican website doesn't tell you where either.

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...o_Servizi.html
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:21 AM

I second the Dino and Tony recommendation. It is not only good, but a wonderful Rome experience. Their address is Via Leone IV 60. It was one that came up repeatedly when I was researching our trip. Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -