Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lunch near the Vatican (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lunch-near-the-vatican-612829/)

Neopolitan May 3rd, 2006 07:18 PM

Lunch near the Vatican

I realize there isn't much in the area, but is there a decent enough place where we can go between 12 noon when we finish our Vatican Gardens tour and 1:45 when we need to be back for our Scavi tour? One of us is a v-e-r-y slow eater by the way. Prefer an actual meal to pizza or panini.

cawhite May 3rd, 2006 07:41 PM

That's funny... I just asked a similar question a few days ago. We have the Scavi Tour at 10:45, and hope to do a Vatican Museum tour at 2 p.m.... so we would like to eat at Dino and Tony's (which gets GREAT reviews) between ~12:15 and 2 p.m. I was told, however, that there is not enough time. So we're going there for dinner after our day at the Vatican and St. Peter's Basilica.

Do a search on "Dino and Tony's" and you'll find my post.

Carole

annw May 3rd, 2006 07:44 PM

DO NOT go to Cafe San Pietro. I got food poisoning there and had to get carted away to emergency from Rome Termini.

Angelyn May 3rd, 2006 08:07 PM

La Rustichella serves a big, good antipasti buffet, so you should have time for that. We went in the evening, but I believe they're open Tues-Sun 12:30 to 15:00 also. Near Metro Cipro-Musei Vaticani, opposite church at end of Via Candia. Via Angelo Emo 1
03-3972-0649

missypie May 4th, 2006 06:10 AM

Click on my screen name. I asked the same question several weeks ago.

bardo1 May 4th, 2006 06:20 AM

The cafe at the Vatican museum is actually quite good (certainly better than the tourist trap spots just outside the Vatican). They have "actual meals" in addition to salads and pannini. Just another option to consider.

JoanneH May 4th, 2006 12:28 PM

The Goose a small family place just a 10 min walk from the vatican and a quite non tourist place.
It is located under the arches on the via cavalleggeri (spelling). This is the street to your left if you stand facing St. Peters. Walk out though archs to street, turn to your right you will see the train arched bridge crossing the street. They are directly under the arch on a small side street between via car and via aurelia.
You will be hard pressed to spend 15-20e. This is a working persons and neighborhood place not fancy simple good food.

Neopolitan May 4th, 2006 01:24 PM

missiepie, I went back to April 1 and couldn't find your question unless you mean a similar one you asked about the Colleseum area?

And cawhite, yes, I even responded on that Dino and Tony's thread, but that won't work for us either.

Thanks for the good thoughts here, and actually if the cafe in the Vatican museums is decent that might be the best option of all. I hate to end up trying to rush an Italian lunch in a regular restaurant -- I know that's not the usual style.