Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lunch in The Cipriani? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lunch-in-the-cipriani-476648/)

jake Sep 26th, 2004 12:05 AM

Lunch in The Cipriani?

Hi,
I'm bringing my partner to Venice for her birthday soon. I would really love to treat her to something special over there. Would lunch in the Cipriani be totally over-priced? I know I couldn't afford 300 euro for dinner there. Should I take her somewhere else instead? Thanks.

dickv2 Sep 26th, 2004 08:09 AM

Good morning, Jake a meal is never overpriced, and long as the quality of food, service and etc. is perfect..
If the weather allows you to have lunch outdoors it would be a very good setting. Also look into the LOCANDA CIPRIANI- Torcello, a short boat trip from Venice. Found a very excellant
lunch on the terrace and had a wonderful aftrnoon. For dinner if it is too cold for lunch look into the
POSTE VECIE, in the Venice fishmarket or the ristorante LA CARAVELLA, in the
hotel Saturnia.. Richard of LaGrange Park, IL..

jake Sep 26th, 2004 11:04 PM

Thanks for the tip but I have to disagree with you stating that a meal is never over-priced. I have read several times that dinner in the Cipriani can cost between 300-400 euro. Is that not over-priced?? Thanks for the help though.

elaine Sep 27th, 2004 07:32 AM

Hi
I've been fortunate enough to have dinner at the Cipriani more than once, and though it worth every penny. On the other hand, I think Porsches and Starbucks coffees are overpriced. To each his/her own splurge.

If 'soon' means early October, look into lunch at the Locanda Cipriani on the island of Torcello. The boat ride is about 80 minutes by vaporetto, tho' I also understand that the Locanda runs its own launch back and forth from a stop near the Danieli hotel. That detail should be checked.

Torcello is a romantic place, kind of deserted, not much to see but overgrown canals and an unforgettable cathedral that is more than a milennium old.
The Locanda is a simple country inn and restaurant. The point is to go on a fine day, so you can sit outside and look at the garden while having a wonderful lunch. Even in early October, the garden has some blooms.

elaine Sep 27th, 2004 07:34 AM

sorry, I wasn't reading properly, I completely missed that 'dicky' already suggested the same place.
But I guess that's a double endorsement.

Patrick Sep 27th, 2004 12:20 PM

"Author: jake
Date: 09/27/2004, 03:04 am
Message: Thanks for the tip but I have to disagree with you stating that a meal is never over-priced. I have read several times that dinner in the Cipriani can cost between 300-400 euro. Is that not over-priced?? Thanks for the help though."

Jake, no, that doesn't mean it's overpriced. It means it's very, very expensive, but that's not the same thing. If they served huge plates of truffles and you washed them down with wonderful vintage wines that normally cost over $500 a bottle, in fact the lunch could be "underpriced". It is a wide misconception that overpriced means the same thing as expensive.

I've had lunches for $20 that were horribly overpriced! But I've also had lunches for well over $100 that were worth every penny, and not overpriced at all.

awbaker Sep 27th, 2004 03:50 PM

I really, really enjoyed Cip's Club for dinner, but this was because we could sit out on their terrace with a view of Venice, including San Marco. The weather may not permit this when you go there. It is much less expensive than the dining room, and had a much better view. The food was very good (not amazing, but very good) and the service was great. Either restaurant would be a special treat just to be able to take the private boat to the hotel, walk through the gardens, and to enjoy a lovely meal at the beautiful hotel. We reserved our table for sunset which was spectacular!

jake Sep 30th, 2004 05:05 PM

Thanks Elaine. And thank you also awbaker: Cip's Club sounds great. I might check it out. Thanks again for your good advice!

elaine Oct 1st, 2004 07:44 AM

If you'd like to see my long file on Venice (sightseeng, restaurants, etc) feel free to email me at
[email protected]

buon viaggio

mitchdesj Oct 1st, 2004 10:29 AM

We had lunch at Cipriani's, the terrace off the pool; a chicken sandwich is 29 euros, and the smallest bottle of coke is 8 euros-
we had a lemon tart also, everything was delicious !!  
We also got massages there; we could not use the pool unless we would have paid 65 euros each- we said no thank you.

We wanted to have dinner there but the dining room only opens at 8-