Lunch betw Florence & San Giovanni d'Asso

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are picking up our rental car in Florence around 11:30am on a Sunday and driving from there to where we are staying in Tuscany - Lucignanello Bandini in San Giovanni d'Asso. Our plan is to stop somewhere along the way for lunch. Maybe San Gimignano. I am wondering though if that makes sense or maybe it is too far out of the way. Any other ideas for where to stop? We'll be spending the next several days exploring Siena and the areas south - Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, etc., so for the ride down we thought it best to stop somewhere between Florence and Siena.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM

If you leave Florence via S2 road (amazing views), you'll pass a wonderful walled town, Monteriggioni. I can't attest to how good the food is but there is a restaurant on the piazza, and the setting is quite charming. We met a couple as we were climbing the hill to the entrance who had driven from Volterra specifically to eat there.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 11:56 AM

What Sunday are you going to be in Tuscany? We're driving through San Giovanni d'Asso on September 3rd as we drive from Siena to Pienza. We haven't planned where to have lunch that day so I'm interested in suggestions as well. Are the truffles really delicious in San Giovanni d'Asso? I read about them at La Locanda del Castello and considered stopping there for lunch or dinner that day.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:11 PM

I too suggest Monteriggioni. BTW, your place is several miles south of San Giovanni. Another option is Buonconvento.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!

Do you think it is a bad idea to try to squeeze San Gimignano in?

We won't be arriving until late September. The management at our agriturismo sent us a detailed list of places to eat nearby, but it only includes one recommendation in San Giovanni d'Asso:

Ristorante La Locanda del Castello, good Tuscan cooking, traditional recipes. Closed Wednesday. Tel. : 0577-802063 ($$)

They actually gave us 6 pages of recommendations, so let me know if there is another town close by you are interested in.