Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lunch at Altitude 95? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lunch-at-altitude-95-a-204962/)

Susan Apr 24th, 2002 07:33 AM

Lunch at Altitude 95?

I will be traveling to Paris with my husband and two sons (ages 11 and 13). We're not planning on dining at any fancy restaurants, but thought one nice lunch might be fun, especially if it's located in the Eiffel Tower. Has anyone eaten at Altitude 95? Did you enjoy it? How dressy is it at lunchtime? Will nice slacks and a button-down shirt be sufficient for men/boys? There is no way I can convince them to bring a jacket and tie for one meal. Also, I understand reservations are needed in advance. Is this true?<BR><BR>Thanks!

greg gallagher Apr 24th, 2002 07:43 AM

Susan, my wife and I absolutely love Paris, but Altitude 95 did not meet the normal standards. It is on le troisime etage (3 floor). It was a very nice view. The dress is business casual. A lot of the tour groups are brought here so the personal touch you normally get in Paris is absent. I would suggest sticking to appetizers only. The oysters are VERY briney (salty). Save your big day out for another place. Please don't take this as a negative view.<BR><BR>I can suggest a large amount of places to eat that will not break the bank. Do you know where you are staying? Left Bank/right bank, arrondisment, etc..? And can I go if someone in your family backs out? Hahaha, needless to say have a great time no matter what. How can you not.

AC Apr 24th, 2002 07:49 AM

Susan:<BR>Had lunch there in February 2001. It was OK. Again not a negative, but I was in the Eiffel Tower! It was not dressy but what you describe should be fine. A tie and coat are not necessary. Enjoy your trip!

Julie Apr 24th, 2002 10:01 AM

We went to lunch at Altitude 95 on the first day of our trip to Paris with three children in the 7 to 11 range. They had children's menu or at least french fries, etc. and I don't recall it being so expensive that you'd have to consider it a splurge, just a lunch. The view is cool and you needn't be dressed up. If you go early, say 11 a.m. or so, you should be able to be seated without a reservation. Why not just wing it and if you can get seated, take it, if not continue on to someplace else. Food is nothing special but the view and experience is worth trying to get. I agree with others. Save your big splurge for someplace else.

alex Apr 24th, 2002 11:40 AM

Small detail. The restaurant is on the premier (1st) etage. See www.tour-eiffel.fr. Never eaten there, but, visit the tower no matter where you have lunch. The view from all three levels is priceless.

Susan Apr 24th, 2002 12:09 PM

Thanks for the replies. We will be staying in the 7th at Hotel Relais Bosquet. Any other recommendations for a nicer lunch than the street vendors (which is what we'll be doing most of the days)?

Julie Apr 24th, 2002 03:12 PM

Try the Sandra Gustafson book Great eats (or Good Eats) in Paris. Earlier editions were titled Cheap Eats in Paris. She lists the price of all the places she reviews. You can probably find plenty of inexpensive places to do decent lunches other than street stands several times and you can probably something that strikes your fancy for a moderate splurge. I'd suggest one of the Les Freres Blanc chain--Au Pied de Cochon, L'Alsace, La Fermette Marbeuf. All have pretty good food and very beautiful, very French decor. I think your boys would be impressed. Happy to provide more specifics on type of food, location, phone numbers, etc. if you're interested. You can also check the Zagat guide to Paris on these and other places you learn of. Go to zagat.com

mike Apr 24th, 2002 03:27 PM

Susan: Ate there in January with 2 other couples. As a few other fodorites have said the food was ok but when will you eat in the Eiffel Tower again. It is a tourist thing to do but it was enjoyable. We had a choice of three different menu's which included everything but drinks. I would say go for it.

greg gallagher Apr 24th, 2002 03:46 PM

Alex your right . My mistake. Was looking over pictures and realized my error.<BR><BR>Susan if you want to splurge and have a friend in the French Embassy, try the Jules Verne on the Eiffel Tower. Sorry just a little levity ( I think it's like a one year waiting list).<BR><BR>By the way one of our favorites was Le Petite Zinc off of St. Germaine, behind le Deux Magots. Good service, good food, and for the two of us came to about eighty dollars. Anyway you look have a great time :0).

Susan Apr 24th, 2002 04:17 PM

Thanks again for the replies. I just ran out to the bookstore and got the Sandra Gustafson book. It looks like it covers all price ranges and includes some restaurants with food even my sons might enjoy.