Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lunch at a winery in Tuscany - Poggio Antico or Fattoria dei Barbi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any thoughts on this? I've seen a few mentions on Slowtrav.com, but nothing detailed. Also, it'd be really nice to know the prices, neither winery's website gives any indication of how expensive they are....DH and I are on a budget but wouldn't mind splurging if either is really fabulous.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Audrey:

DH & I ate at Fattoria dei Barbi eleven years ago. It was the best meal of our trip. Sorry I can't give more recent info. or prices.

Repost this thread in the morning.

MY
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Topping for the morning folks...
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, forgot to say thanks Michelle! If its under the same ownership it's probably still good, even if you haven't been there in 11 years.

Oh, and I should also mention that I'd be open to other suggestions of wineries in either the Montalcino or Chianti areas to eat lunch at...these are just the two best ones I've come across so far.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Poggio Antico is expensive but good. I would expect to pay 60E for 2 for lunch.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 07:30 AM

audreyleigh99,
Fattoria dei Barbi is not what it used to be. In my opinion it has gone down hill in the last ten years.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 09:19 AM

I've eaten at both, and they are very different kinds of experiences. The restuarant at Fattoria dei Barbi is less formal/more rustic than Poggio Antico. Most of the food at Barbi is produced on site, and is served relatively simply. We enjoyed the purity and simplicity of the food very much. Can't tell you the exact prices, but I'd call it a mid-range restaurant and definitely cheaper than Poggio Antico. And whether it was once better than it is now (per Henry), the food we had was excellent. We also enjoyed the winery tour, for which we made advance reservations, and found the Fattoria's truffle infused cheese to be a true regional treat.

Poggio Antico was much more upscale, the food much more ambitious, and the prices, as you would expect, higher, than at Fattoria dei Barbi. Fancier food, fancier desserts, but everything very very good. If you are able to sit by the window, you can eat and contemplate the vines at the same time.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. Based on this info I am leaning toward Fattoria dei Barbi. My DH and I love good food but don't consider ourselves foodies like some of the folks on this board; simple, rustic Tuscan food is more than okay with us. Plus, 60 euros for lunch is a bit of a stretch for our budget...I think our hotel in Florence costs less (B & B Peterson, another thing we found thanks to this board!)
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 11:50 AM

audreyleigh99,
This list of restaurants may be of help http://www.tuscanhouse.com/travelpla...ntsinsiena.htm
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Henry, that's a great list. We'll definitely check out some of those...sorry I'm leaning against your advice on Barbi, but we do want to do one day where we tour and eat at a winery and Poggio Antico seems out of our price range even for lunch.
Old Aug 30th, 2005, 08:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear Audrey:

When are you going? Be sure to post a trip report to let us know all about it!!

MY
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 09:05 AM

audreyleigh99,
I don't think you will get a bad meal at Barbi. I just think it no longer is worth going out of your way for the food. It used to be outstanding and now merely good.
Old Aug 31st, 2005, 10:08 AM
hdm

I haven't been to Fattoria dei Barbi but we did have a beautiful dinner at Poggio Antico in June. We sat on the lovely terrace, the service was formal but warm, and the food was wonderful. It was unlike the more simple, delicious Tuscan dishes we'd had elsewhere and more like the rather unusual 'tasting menus' we've had in places like Tru in Chicago. The wine service was lovely. I don't drink red wine but my husband enjoyed a selection of Brunellos. Sorry, I can't help you with the prices but it was definitely expensive so it would be a splurge.