Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   LuluG - please REPOST about "fun" restaurants in the 6th (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lulug-please-repost-about-fun-restaurants-in-the-6th-529630/)

Travelnut May 17th, 2005 04:08 AM

LuluG - please REPOST about "fun" restaurants in the 6th

I can't respond to your original post... maybe it is related to the very long url you posted for the mappy site.

Please repost without the mappy link for dining suggestions near your hotel. Most people who are fans of the 6th know where Hotel le Clement is located...

p.s. if you still want to link the map, then go to www.linktrim.com , paste in your long url, and get a shortened version to post.

elaine May 17th, 2005 04:20 AM

hi
I was just able to post there, give it another try?

Travelnut May 17th, 2005 04:24 AM

must be my pc... i can see your post, but there's no message box to type into...
not that I have any urgent info to report, but I thought the post was going unanswered b/c of a problem.

elaine May 17th, 2005 05:37 AM

did you try scrolling ALL the way to the right on your screen? That's what I had to do.

LuluG May 18th, 2005 01:10 AM

I'm sorry. I didn't know that the link would do that.

Here's my original post:
"My family of 5 (3 adults & 2 older teenage boys) will be taking our 1st trip to Paris this coming October, and staying at the Hotel Le Clement in the 6th (6 rue Clement). I would love to have some suggestions of fun/lively/good cafes and/or restaurants in the immediate area of our hotel, say within a 15-minute walk."

I'm copying all of these suggestions for our trip.

Elaine kindly recommended "Perraudin on rue St Jacques," about a 20-25 minute walk from our hotel. Thanks!

Oberost kindly recommended "le Raleis de l'Entrecote which in in the 6th (right off blvd St Germaine) at 20, rue Saint-Benoit" and "Claude SainLouis at 27, ru du Dragon in the 6th." Thank you too, Oberost!

Gretchen recommended "AuPiano Muet on rue Mouffetard." Gretchen, you say "it's a raclette restaurant as well as serving meat that you grill at the table." Sounds fun. Please tell me, what's "raclette"?? And thank you!

Once again, sorry for the awkward post. I guess lots of "regulars" already know where Hotel Le Clement is in the 6th. I thought it would be nice to know of some fun, lively spots nearby. All of your recommendations are most helpful.

@};-
Lulu

elaine May 18th, 2005 02:54 AM

Lulu
If you don't mind my answering, raclette is both a kind of cheese, and a way to serve it. A wheel of cheese is attached to a sort of open grill, and the cheese melts on the outside of the wheel. The hot melted cheese is scraped onto a plate, and often served with dried meats or sausages, boiled potatoes, little sour pickles (cornichons), etc. Delish!

elaine May 18th, 2005 02:56 AM

here's a link to LuluG's other thread

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34620336

Gretchen May 18th, 2005 04:28 AM

I was finally able to respond to that original thread by scrolling "WAY 'WAY over to the right to find the response window.
Piano Muet is a darling little restaurant--lots of ambience. I had a chicken liver salad to start that was absolutely WONderful. The servers were so pleasant.
A funky but not cheap place your family might enjoy is Nos Ancestres Gauloises on Ile St. Louis. It is a large cavernous place where you eat at long tables. It is "all you can eat" and all the wine you want. Salad, various sausages and appetizers, choice of a grilled meat, and dessert. It has increased in price--33€. There is music (strolling guitars) and the night we were there (our kids REALLY wanted to go back to introduce the last brother and his fiancee to it) there was a church choir from Holland. The singing was gorgeous.
Another really good and very very reasonable restaurant in the Marais is Auberge du Jarente. It is a Basque restaurant.

Travelnut May 18th, 2005 08:58 AM

I feel better now :) Glad this post got going..!

Guenmai May 19th, 2005 07:29 AM

This has been confusing...trying to reply...but I've finally figured it out. Anyhow, I stay at the Hotel le Clement. Great area. Have been vacationing in Paris, almost annually since 1976, and have stayed in that neighborhood since around 1981. You'll love it....although the neighborhood has changed a lot. I like to eat at Guenmai...for really healthy food and the best sugarfree fruit tarts.As for the meaning of the word,"Guenmai"...well,it is a type of Japanese brown rice...but the restaurant is NOT Japanese.It's healthy French. You can get food to go. From Hotel Le Clement...after you walk out the front door, turn left and walk down to the end of the street and then turn left and you'll be on rue de Seine. Walk up rue de Seine until you get to rue Buci(Pauls is on the corner) and turn LEFT there. Walk out rue Buci( about 2 minutes) until you get to the first street and turn right and it'll be straight ahead. It's a green and white building...can't miss it.It's less than a 10-minute walk from the hotel. The owner is Sophie and she and her family live above the restaurant so she's always there. She makes the absolute best(healthy) fruit tarts. I love her food period and have eaten there since the early 80s.It's always crowded with very interesting locals. You can also try Paradis du Fruit. A French friend took me there years ago. Ask the receptionist at Hotel le Clement to look it up in a phone book.If Mariam is there, she can help you. She speaks fluent English and is incredibly helpful.She's a young French/Algerian woman who lived and went to school in the States for years.She has a southern accent.Please tell her the guest who gave her the coathangers sends many greetings.Paradis du Fruit would be a reasonably priced place for you. Food in Paris is expensive and you have a lot of folks to feed. Paradis du Fruit has sandwiches,salads,ice cream sundaes etc...It's QUITE good. There is one on Quai des Grand Augustins...I assume it's still there. You can walk there from the hotel. The Quai runs along the river near Blvd. St Michel. There is also one at Bastille and one on Ave Wagram. If you would like me to search for the addresses then just page me over in the Asia forum where I'm a regular. The addresses and information are at home and I'd have to search for them this weekend and post on Monday.I've read other people's list and the places recommended are good. Some places listed are expensive...like Rotisserie D'en Face on the rue Christine...I've eaten there since it first opened in the early 90s,I think it was, but couldn't imagine feeding five people there. I was in Paris in March and the menu Prix Fixe was 41Euros. My mouth dropped.Now Leon de Brussels is good. It's a five minute walk around the corner from Hotel le Clement.A French friend and I ate there in March. They have all you can eat fries with dinner. The mussels were quite good,too and it was inexpensive...by Paris standards. This weekend I'll look through my journals and try to find some other places for you. Oh, you can always go to Bon Marche department store's gourmet grocery store and buy packaged sandwiches, prepared food, and drinks and eat in the park in front of the department store...if weather permits. Or in the basement of Monoprix on rue Renne,a 10-minute walk from the hotel- they also have packaged sandwiches....as do most department stores that have a food section,too. Happy Travels!

LuluG May 19th, 2005 01:01 PM

Thank you, everyone, (especially U, Travelnut) for getting my post back on track. :)

Gretchen, even though Nos Ancêtres les Gaulois isn't right near our hotel, it sounds like a delightfully interesting & fun place for my family to go on our 1st nite in Paris (1st nite in Europe for husband & teenage boys!). I found their website, read other guests' comments on the Internet, and it looks like alot of Fun! It's especially Perfect b/c it's open on Sundays too, when we arrive into Paris. They're now charging 35€ - but still seems worth it. Need to find easiest way to get there from our hotel.

Elaine, "raclette" sounds Yummie! Is it pronounced rak-lay, accent on the 2nd?

Guenmai, I'm so happy to have found someone who's stayed at Le Clement. When I was planning, it seemed like a great location, and relatively inexpensive, so I'm wondering why not many fodorites have stayed there.

Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions, Guenmai, and directions too! (Very helpful) I've copied EVERYTHING down so I can go over it all a little later. Looking forward to your other recommendations near the hotel.

@};-
Lulu

hikerboy May 19th, 2005 01:53 PM

Here is a link to Restaurant Au Piano Muet:
http://www.paris-lights.com/english/...pianomuet.html
One of the speialties of the house is "Raclette with meat of let us intoxicate." I'm not sure what wine is recommended with that dish, perhaps something light and fresh!

Kevin

Guenmai May 23rd, 2005 12:38 PM

Well, glad I could be of help and let's hope not too many people end up at Hotel le Clement although Marium said that the phone is ringing off the hook which she was surprised since as she put it...it's such a small hotel. Back in the early 90s one of my best friends who happened to be the hotel manager at the Welcome Hotel in the 6th...suggested that I stay at the Hotel le Clement.The welcome is very cramped, crowded, and noisy although I stayed there for years due to the location and the price. It's owned by the same owner as the Hotel de Seine. See, I stayed at Hotel de Seine for nearly a decade...the 80s... and then it got renovated in the early 90s and the prices got hiked WAY up...as did most of the hotel prices in that area of the 6th...so I moved to the Welcome Hotel... through the 1990s.In 1981 my room, at the Hotel de Seine, cost $18.00 a night. In summer of 1990 it was only $50. a night,not a huge increase, but then after the renovation,1990-1991... it went to over $120. a night.The manager of the Hotel de Seine, a good friend of mine, retired after 35 years there. He knew that the regular guests...who were wonderful... would not be able to afford it after the renovation and price hike and that things would change drastically. I had to move, but didn't know what hotel to move into. One day my French friend and I walked the whole area and she went in and requested keys to the various rooms in various hotels and I was shown tons of rooms so that I could pick a new home-away-from-home hotel. She really thought that Hotel le Clement would suit me perfectly. The hotel was kind of a well-kept secret back then.I had never heard of it until she had mentioned it to me.So, I wrote it down on a list and although I didn't move into it until the new millenium, it was always in the back of my mind. I had to get out of the Welcome Hotel...couldn't stand it anymore. At the hotel Le Clement...ask for a room on the 5th or 6th floor and facing the street. The rooms in the back are awful...your view will be a concrete wall on four sides...clostophobic!There is an apartment building in back of the hotel. The neighborhood is GREAT! And if you walk over to Place St. Suplice(5 minutes) and get on bus 63, you can go straight to the Trocodero bus stop...get off... and then cross the street to the Palais de Chaillot where you will have an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower.Have fun. If I think of anything else,I'll post.Or if you have any questions, page me in the Asia forum where I'm a regular. Happy Travels!

grandmere May 23rd, 2005 02:07 PM

Guenmai, not to highjack this thread, but we stayed one night at the Welcome back in the early 90ies. At that time (and perhaps still?) it was owned by same folks as the Marronniers, rue Jacob. You really described the Welcome- worst part was the noise from outside--all night long! Given it's location at that busy corner, no wonder, though!
The Marronniers has a charming location, set back in the courtyard, but rooms are small there, too, and I think it's overpriced today.

Guenmai May 24th, 2005 06:56 AM

Yes, Grandmere...The Welcome Hotel is pretty dreadful although I stayed there throughout the 90s...with extra duty earplugs!But it was the cheapest hotel in the neighborhood.And since I had to move out of the Hotel de Seine due to the outrageous price increase, well I had nowhere else to move to back then. The other cheap place then was the Louisianne down the street from the Welcome and it's REALLY dreary. I got the grand tour from my hotel manager French friend.The same friend also introduced me to the owner of the Welcome and Hotel de Seine. One day he dropped by the Welcome...not exactly Mr. Personality to say the least.After meeting him, I really wanted to leave any hotel under his ownership. I'm 99% sure that he owns the Marroniers,too because my friend used to work there,too...basically wherever they needed her to be. She gave me a tour of those rooms,too. It's VERY overpriced there. But then again as far as I'm concerned hotels in Paris are just overpriced period.One gets very little for the money. That's why, some years ago, I started only going to Paris once a year and decided to spend more time in Bangkok (I can get a beautiful standard room at the Four Seasons,usually, for between $138.-$158 depending on the day of the week...with a fabulous, daily 5-star buffet breakfast included)And the hotel is absolutely beautiful.And in Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia, the Ritz Carlton was $108. for a standard room and then I got upgraded to Club level where I had a 24-hour a day butler and the private club served about 6 culinary presentations a day...all included in the room rate. I'm a regular in the Asia forum. Due to living in L.A. county, it's very easy for me to zip over to Southeast Asia on cheap flights. Nowhere are the hotels as good as they are in that part of the world. When going to Paris, I don't focus on hotels since all of the ones I have stayed in since 1976 have been so-so and closet sized.I focus on other things while vacationing in Paris. Take care grandmere.Happy Travels!

Guenmai May 24th, 2005 07:08 AM

Here are the addresses for the restaurant...Paradis du Fruit...I found them written in my journal.1)27 et 29 Quai des Grands Augustins 75006...this one is west of Blvd. St. Michel and not too far from Notre Dame..which is in the opposite direction.I hope it's still there. 2)1,rue de Tournelles (Bastille) 75004...This one is a five minute walk from Place Vosges. 3)30 et 32 Ave de Wagram (Etoile)...this one is near the Arch of Triomphe. I've been to all three. The last one I went to was the Bastille one back in, I think 2002 or 2003. But, I first started eating at this chain in 1995 so they have probably withstood the test of time and hopefully are still around. My French friend first told me about them and we use to eat there regularly.You can take bus 86 from Blvd St. Germain...near Odeon Metro stop and then you can get off either at Cerisaie or one stop past that stop and this will be the Bastille area. It's more fun to take the bus. You see more than being underground all the time in the metro. If you get off at Cerisaie, then there's a post office nearby if you need to mail postcards. This post office is in a quiet residential neighborhood, not a tourist area so less crowded.I'll post exact directions tomorrow when I can get my map book out. I go to this area a lot, but can't remember the exact name of streets. Happy Travels!

LuluG May 24th, 2005 01:29 PM

Guenmai, thank you So Much for taking the time to post all this info for me. (copying Everything!)

We have 2 streetside rooms @Le Clement, a double for the boys and a junior suite w/2 bedrooms for the 3 adults. Really looking forward to this!

I noticed your post on another thread re getting to Le Clement from CDG. This is our 1st trip to Paris, as I've said, and w/5 of us w/luggage, I'd really LOVE to be able to "do" public transportation from CDG to the hotel, but just not feeling confident that I'd be able to pull it off w/o getting lost & possibly starting the trip off w/everyone stressed out getting to our hotel.
:-[

Since you've done this same route many times, would you be willing to give me sort of a detailed (as much as you're up to) directional to get us to the hotel? We're arriving on Continental Airlines at 11am on a Sunday, Oct 2nd.

So very much appreciated.
@};-
Lulu

Guenmai May 25th, 2005 07:13 AM

Sure...no problem...here's the transportation information...It's VERY easy to take the public transportation. I don't know where Continental lands, but when you get to the airport just ask how to get to the train station to get to the RER for trains into Paris...not difficult... The way this works is...the Metro is the subway system that's the first tracks under the ground and the RER system is a level under the metro. The RER system goes out into the suburbs, but connects at certain points in the city. So, when you get to the RER airport train station, get on the train...any of them...they all go to Paris as this is the end/beginning of line "B". Then take the train until you get to St.Michel/Notre Dame and get out there...this will take a good 35 minutes...but a nice ride. Then exit the train and go LEFT and you'll see an escalator . Go up the escalator and when you get to the top you'll walk through a corridor for a little while and when you come out of the corridor make an IMMEDIATE LEFT and you'll see a turnstile...reinsert your SAME ticket that you bought at the airport train station and enter through that turnstile.You will be at the Cluny/La Sorbonne metro station now...and on line 10. There will be a sign straight ahead and you'll want to go in the direction that the sign is telling you that has the metro station...Mabillion on it...I think it's to your right...my mine is blank and I don't know why...I've done it 100 times...but...you absolutely CAN"T miss it. Then when the metro train comes get on any of them that stops since all of them that stop will be going to the same place. There's no confusion once you've gotten to the metro tracks. Now...you're in the metro train and you will go only TWO stops...about 7 minutes. The first stop will be "Odeon" and the second will be "Mabillon." You get off at "Mabillon." Now the hotel is only about a 3-4 minute walk. When you come out of the Mabillion station you will see the busy Blvd. St.Germain. You will be on the correct side of the Blvd...the SOUTH side...so DO NOT cross the Blvd. Rue Clement is one very short block south(behind you) of where you will be and about two blocks east. So, when you come out of the subway you will probably see rue Mabillon...then you can walk south on rue Mabillon which runs into rue Clement and then turn LEFT and walk about two short blocks out rue Clement to the hotel. There will probably be a sign at metro Mabillon that says, "Marche St.Germain". The hotel is directly across the street from the Marche... a mini shopping mall. You'll probably see"The Gap" which faces the street. This is VERY easy to do. It just might sound difficult.....So...summary....1)Airport RER train into the city 2) Get off at St.Michel/Notre Dame...about 35 minutes 3) Up the escalator and a sharp LEFT at the opening 4)Through the turnstile inserting the SAME train ticket 5)Get on the metro... through the turnstile will be line 10...travel to the Mabillion metro stop 6)Exit metro at Mabillion....TWO stops after you entered at Cluny/La Sorborrne 7) Walk a VERY short distance to the hotel.If you take a taxi it'll be a lot. I was in Paris in March and three people came with me. I travel alone 99% of the time. The were "New" travelers and insisted on taking a taxi. I was against it. They had no luggage since there luggage didn't arrive with them. I had luggage and wasn't complaining about taking public transportation. Well, it was a Sunday afternoon...not much traffic...and it cost us more than $93.00 to take the taxi to Hotel Clement and we were dropped off at the corner a block away since it's a one-way street and the taxi driver didn't want to go around the corner...typical...It was the same distance had we taken the metro to Mabillon and walked to the hotel.Plus taxis charge for each piece of luggage. remember they had none and the taxi fare was still high. I only had one suitcase. I've got to go. If you need more help...let me know. Happy Travels!

Travelnut May 25th, 2005 07:22 AM

Isn't it amazing that people who've never been to a city would totally disregard the experience of someone who's been numerous times? I would have said, "ok see you at the hotel - I'll be waiting for you ( :) )"

Guenmai May 26th, 2005 06:43 AM

Lulu...If you want me to post you some city itineraries...for example...the hotel-Eiffel Tower-Arch of Triomphe-Champs Elysee-Concorde-Madeleine-Place Vendome-Tuilleries-hotel...which can be done on one day...then let me know and I can post them next week.I can also write up some other interesting itineraries with step-by-step directions on how to get to the various sites from the hotel, using bus and metro, which will save you A LOT of time in having to figure things out.You can just print the list and then follow it. When are you leaving for Paris and how many days will you be there? Happy Travels!