Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Luggage storage question for Pienza, Orvieto and Montepulciano

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my second thread for the same question as to whether there are day-time luggage storage places for day-trips to Orvieto, Montepulciano or Orvieto.

I mis-spelled a word ("storge&quotin the last posting, and want to make certain that the answers (if any, and hopefully there will be some) will be available for future searches on this site.

If anyone is going to respond, please try to keep this thread (and not my previous one) going.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Pienza is a very small town, really a large village with ambitions (1000 people, including the surrounding countryside). I would be surprised if you found someplace there unless you could pay the staff at a hotel to keep them for you. And how are you getting there? I have only been by car. But if you had a car, no problem.

Montepulciano is larger (+/-14,000)and Orvieto larger still (21,000) so the stations may have left luggage, but paying hotel bellmen is always an option you could try.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Unless it has changed recently, the Orvieto train station does not have luggage storage.

I was in Pienza for three nights and am not aware of anywhere you could store luggage, unless as mentioned, you pay a hotel to hold it for you.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:38 AM
ira

Hi N,

Other posters have said that there is a hotel near the train station in Orvieto that will keep your luggage for your for a reasonable fee.

You might want to search for the thread.

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the Trenitalia website, no luggage storage at Orvieto and Montepulciano and no train service to Pienza.
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Would the luggage be safe in a car in these towns while the OP explored?
Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Well, if the luggage is stored in the trunk and there's no obvious stuff in the rest of the car (a map, guidebook, a camera, or whatever) to suggest they're tourists, it would be quite safe.

I always "outfit" my rental car with local stuff like a local newspaper left on the dashboard, a loaf of local bread on the front seat, whatever, to make it look like I'm a local and therefore not such a likely target. Make sure the rental car doesn't have some sticker or something indentifying it as such and remove it if it does have.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

I will be driving, and the problem is that we are fearful of having our luggage stolen.

Maybe the bellman is the only alternative.

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Hi Nevertooold,

On two driving trips around Tuscany, I've left my luggage in the covered portion of my hatchback with no problems. I did make sure that the rental agency removed the big, red "Diesel" sticker on the gas cap cover! And, I didn't leave any clues inside the car, as StCirq mentions.

You can never 100% guarantee that nothing will happen, but if you really are that worried, then you will have to try the hotel option.

Be aware that it's not going to be easy to park in the public lots, haul your luggage up those steep Montepulciano streets looking for a hotel to keep your luggage. If you do want to do this, I would suggest researching a hotel in advance, getting an agreement and directions from them in advance.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:12 PM

Author: T4TX
Date: 05/01/2007, 07:30 am
If you need to store your luggage while touring Orvieto, here is the info I got back from the Hotel Picchio about doing that:

Buongiorno
is correct, you can leave your luggages in our hotel.
Prices:
large bag : 5 euro
small bag 3 euro
Thank you, best regards
Alessandra
Hotel picchio

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:19 PM

If the car has a trunk and you can park in a decent place, I'd consider that safer than repeatedly moving and checking it. It is items left in the passenger compartment you should be concerned about, as you would almost anywhere.