Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

AC or Not....Italy June 13-29....Would it be mandatory for you?

Old Jul 6th, 2013, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm struggling with the old AC issue. The dates are firm. This will be our 5th trip to Italy but never in the summer. Here's the itinerary:

4 nts Lake Como
2 nts Cinque Terre
5 nts Siena
5 nts Rome

Ideally I would love to start in Rome and work north but it simply can't be done. I'm looking at two hotels in Lake Como...one with AC, one without. I was looking at this apartment in Siena as it's such a good bargain for my large party (4 bed/4 bath 210E total per night) but it doesn't have AC. http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p449674 I haven't found any other apartments in old town Siena that would be large enough for my group...to get a hotel with AC will, at the very minimum, double the cost per night.

Our apartment in Rome will have AC.

I know you can't predict weather - I'm just looking for your thoughts on the matter. Would you risk it or would you want AC? Some of our party tolerate heat (we don't even have central air) while others hate the heat!

Thank you.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 04:07 AM

Definitely in Siena and Rome. I think Lake Como and Cinque Terre would be ok in June w/o AC.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 04:27 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Never used our a/c on Lake Como. Didn't have a/c near Siena but set high on a hill with breezes, old stone walls.We were warm but it was OK. Depends on location in Siena.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 04:31 AM

At the very least, in Siena and Rome.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 04:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Your link for your apartment in Siena doesn't show a map location, but a quick Google it doesn't appear to be in the historic center (more at an outer edge with traffic?). Via La Lizza feeds into Via Tozzi. Both are very busy streets with lots of buses.

This appears to be a bit closer into the center.

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-ital...0&idregione=16

You can scroll to the bottom and request quotes from all places on the list. You can filter for AC, but not for historic center so you would have to look at the maps to check.

http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-ital...a&idregione=16

There is also the very budget Hotel Alma Domus in the historic center with wonderful views. Has AC, internet (may be a fee), breakfast. They've just done an upgrade of the rooms. It's sort of behind San Domenico with views of the Duomo.

http://www.hotelalmadomus.it/

http://www.operaduomo.siena.it/eng/opa_si_pass.htm
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 04:57 AM

Yes, in cities, certainly, it only for humidity and noise from streets, including other guests standing outside in the street to smoke.

It has not been my experience, however, to have what Floridians called "cold air."
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 05:39 AM

I would never take a place without AC - it can easily be high 90s and humid - except for the northern lakes. And then you are still taking a chance.

We did Lago Maggiore at end of May and the weather was lovely - but not cool - so I don't know how hot it would be in end June - nor your tolerance for heat (I have none).
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 05:46 AM
ira

Hey tf,

Would 2 nights with temps in the high 80s and 85% RH ruin things for you?

Old Jul 6th, 2013, 05:53 AM

AC does not seem to be a priority in Europe...though with the weather getting hotter, I imagine it is getting to be. I was at a exclusive resort in Bavaria last summer, they supplied fans to their guests. I was an intern, the first week I went and got myself a fan!
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 06:22 AM
WWK

Definitely get AC! It's hard to predict, but with summers getting hotter and hotter, why take a chance on a miserable stay?
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 06:43 AM

Yes!

We have been to Northern Italy in late June and it was very hot. We had one night in Venice when we really didn't need the AC (which was very fortunate b/c the apartment only had an AC in the LR), but the rest of the trip, we were very, very thankful to have it.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 06:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would have to have a/c in all the places.

We stayed in Lake Lugano in late May and had no a/c and it was stuffy and warm if the doors to our balcony were not open. The doors had no screens so it was strange to leave them open at night even though it got cool. Also, we could here the trains going by regularly. It was not quiet. So, I would recommend a/c in all your places.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 07:21 AM

Many Europeans actually still believe you can get sick from A/C!
I have stayed in hotels where they power it down at night and I woke up sweating in the middle of the night!
After a day of sight seeing,A/C for me is essential-why take a chance? By not having it, you will be grumpy,complaining and spoil your vacation.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 07:54 AM

I was in Stresa, at Lago Maggiore, at the end of June 2012. The hotel did not have AC and I survived it. But I actually sleep better when it's really hot. Of course, I hate the heat when I am awake, but I wasn't in the hotel much during the day.

If you are sensitive to heat, get rooms with AC. If you like heat, don't waste the money. In a mixed group like you mentioned it is probably best to get AC. Otherwise you will have to listen to constant complaints.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:32 PM

I still remember the Trip From Hell in June 2002. That June was one of the hottest that Europe had seen in decades. (It was a trip from hell for many reasons other than the weather too.)

1 week in Panicale (Umbria, near Chiusi and Lake Trasimeno)
3 nights in Riomaggiore
3 nights in Bologna

Panicale was very hot but dry -- upper 90's but no humidity. It was "not-unbearable" with just fans.

Riomaggiore was hot and humid. The hotel had no A/C. It was completely unbearable. Had to take 3-4 (cold) showers a day. The room had a ceiling fan but it merely moved hot, stuffy, humid air around.

Conversely, I spent the entire month of July in an apartment in Montepulciano in 1999 with no A/C and it was fine for all but a couple of days.

I would definitely take A/C in Rome and the Cinque Terre. Lake Como you should be OK without it. For Siena, you probably could survive without it assuming there's not a heat wave going on. It's at an elevation of around 1000 feet so there should be an adequate breeze. If it were me, I wouldn't take my chances though and would go for the A/C.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM

We are just in Lucca right now and I havent read the above posts but we are from Vancouver, BC and would be dying without AC - it is freaking hot and humid!
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 02:06 PM

I would never do Italy without access to a/c. I was just in Venice, and it was horribly hot. Granted, it was better after dark, but I would not have been able to sleep well without a/c, but perhaps I'm just spoiled.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 03:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I still remember the Trip From Hell in June 2002. That June was one of the hottest that Europe had seen in decades.>>We are just in Lucca right now and I havent read the above posts but we are from Vancouver, BC and would be dying without AC - it is freaking hot and humid!
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 11:03 PM

We live in Europe without AC (and yes, I get warned all the time about illnesses which result from cold air on the neck)... One thing to consider... Nothing here seems to be very air conditioned- from restaurants to museums to trains.

Often I feel it is better to just get used to the fact that it is hot everywhere then to have a cold apartment and everyplace else be very hot.

Not sure how you feel splitting across hotels close by (personally, I wouldn't want to pay a premium for it, but wouldn't want to dictate that to the crowd.