Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Luggage Storage Near Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luggage-storage-near-venice-859683/)

firenz Sep 17th, 2010 07:02 AM

Luggage Storage Near Venice

We are going to be touring Tuscany by car and plan to drop our car off outside of Venice. Unfortunately, we will have too much luggage to carry into Venice. Is there a place we can store the luggage while we tour Venice? We will be flying to London from Venice, so would it be wise (if possible) to store it at the airport?
I know there are some posts on this topic, but most of them are older and I'm afraid to rely on them.
Thanks for yor help.

PalenQ Sep 17th, 2010 07:54 AM

Not sure about airports but not all do that but if you drop your car off at Venice' Mestre train station that station, on the mainland, on the other side of the lagoon from Venice proper and a main railway station may well have left luggage - i would be surprised if they don't - a manually staffed left-luggage counter. Check at www.trenitalia.com - the Italian railways site, if you can read the Italian section i guess. And there are direct frequent buses from Mestre station to Venice airport - so an easy transfer that way.

But if you drive into Venice at the Piazzale Roma, the end of the road for cars it is a short walk to the nearby main Santa Lucia train station's left-luggage counter and then you could hop a boat from Venice proper to the airport.

I would think the Mestre station is the easiest to access by car without going into Venice and also to get to the airport.

this is all if there is no luggage storage at the airport.

JoanneH Sep 17th, 2010 08:42 AM

There is also a luggage storage in the Piazzale Roma which is where the bus deposit's people coming in from airport. It as I recall 3 euro per bag per 24 hours, looks tacky but we had no problems in old run down building.

DalaiLlama Sep 17th, 2010 09:20 AM

Both Venice stations, Santa Lucia (down by the canal) and Mestre, have Deposito Bagagli service.

How to look it up: On the Trenitalia site, in the horizontal selection of links below the top graphic, click "In Regione" then "Servizi in Stazione" then select your province (on the left), in this case Veneto, and the last column in the table of services is Deposito Bagagli.

firenz Sep 17th, 2010 11:43 AM

Thank you so much. I was able to find the information on the trenitalia page. It seems like the airport also has storage. That might be a better option if we are going to be flying out of there. I guess they never have any problem with space,do they? No reservations needed? Do you think it's ok to leave luggage for three days? It's still less expensive than having it shipped (which is my other option). I might think twice before taking a transatlantic trip that calls for formal clothing after a land vacation.

PalenQ Sep 17th, 2010 11:54 AM

I have never seen an Italian train station luggage storage place full but i assume it could happen in busy times and you usually can leave bags for that long though in the case of train stations i think they charge for the first six hours one fee then escalating fee for subsequent periods (not sure but was two years ago when i was last in Italy) - the storage at the bus depot may be cheaper - airports often charge a whole lot more for storage IMO and check how long you can store at the airport before Schlepping out there IMO

DalaiLlama Sep 17th, 2010 12:45 PM

For the exact cost of leaving your bags at Venice S.L. station look here:

http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/i...003f16f90aRCRD
Tranlated:

open 24 hrs
4 Euros for first 5 hours
.60 Euros for each subsequent hour 6-12
0.20 Euros for the subsequent 12 hours

It doesn't say about subsequent days, so we can guess that the clock starts over after 24 hours with the above, but that is just my guess.

firenz Sep 17th, 2010 05:38 PM

Thankyou everyone for your patience with this silly problem. again. Would it be crazy to leave them at the train station, then go back there to pick them up, then leave for the airport from the train station? Yikes...luggage is becoming the biggest hassle of the trip.

firenz Sep 18th, 2010 08:00 AM

I sent an email for information on leaving luggage at the airport. I was shocked to get a response from them...I am so impressed. The short answer for anyone interested ...Yes, luggage can be left for three day. Here's their answer.

"The left luggage to Airport of Venice is open every day from 05.00AM to 09.00PM.
for one bag €.5.50 every 24 hours.
You don't need to make a reservation.(isn't possible"

DalaiLlama Sep 18th, 2010 02:35 PM

Congrats - keep and frame that email! That's half the posted rate on Trenitalia's website?

kybourbon Sep 18th, 2010 08:27 PM

I find luggage storage at the airports in Italy (Rome FCO also has storage) to be cheaper than train stations, but usually not convenient (Rome's FCO also has luggage storage cheaper than Roma Termini). In Amsterdam, they had storage departure side and arrival side. You might want to check the location of the airport storage (I'm sure they have online maps) to make sure you can easily access it.

I noticed the baggage storage at Rome Termini weighing luggage a few weeks ago and refusing to take some pieces.

FYI - Car trunks in Italy are small. They won't hold much luggage.