Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LUGGAGE PERMITTED IN INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL

Jun 13th, 1998, 04:27 AM
BETTY

Mm family will be traveling to Poland(international) soon for a wedding;therefore, I will have to carry dressy clothes. I purchased a wheeled garment bag with dimensions of 46 X 4 X 23 for suits, dresses.
Delta Airlines tells me the suitcases must be no greater than a total of 62 inches. It appears that I will not be able to use this bag.
Has anyone had a similar situation. How did you handle it? Thanks for your help.

Jun 13th, 1998, 11:55 AM
Donna

Call the airline and ask for suggestions. They often provide special cardboard containers for specific types of items. I've seen large "wardrobe" boxes with clips inside for hangers and a handle on the outside for formal wear.

Jun 15th, 1998, 08:03 AM
Carol

Betty- We just returned from Europe. We flew Swiss Air which I thought was a sister to US Air however, we always checked in though Delta. Which international airline will you be on? I had a problem almost like yours but mine was how may bags can you check in. US was fine with two very large ones and I also checked n my carryon. But in Munich I was going to pay $125 extra for my carryon which I of course carried on. They never told me theey had to be a certain demention just pounds. Is the suit case heavy? Something is wrong here if they allow skis, golf clubs, baby carriers why can't you send on an oversize piece of luggage. Call them again or carryon the fancy dresses and use a smaller one for the rest (then you may take two each). They do hang up garment bags especially a brides wedding dress.

Jun 15th, 1998, 11:01 AM
Richard

I think, if you're travelling on Delta, you've picked the worst airline for baggage rules. We have flown on American to Europe the last 4 years, with our bikes packed in a box 36" x 54"x 10" and never had a problem, it's just checked as one of the allowable checked items, no extra charges. When we called Delta they told us it would be $80 each way for the same thing. I think a phone call to a supervisor is in order here, most airlines have different standards for overseas travel, or, if it's not too late, change your airline.

Jun 18th, 1998, 04:31 PM
betty

Thank you all for your suggestions. Yes, we are locked into Delta, but I just realized that when I fold my garment bag in half(as for traveling), it will probably meet the dimension requirements.
I hope I will have no problems, but will check with Delta again about buying a wardrobe from them.