Luggage on Trains

Jul 1st, 2013, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Luggage on Trains

For our Europe trip we will be taking trains from Prague to Dresden to Berlin. I'm wondering how much luggage we will be able to take aboard. Usually on our trips we take two large suitcases and two carry on bags. We will be gone for about 14 days.
Jul 1st, 2013, 04:15 AM

There will be room for your luggage although some of those overhead racks aren't all that large. There is often some room at the end of rail carriages for luggage or even between seats.

A lot depends on the type of rolling stock in use but it isn't like the airlines; often there is room for as much as you can haul on board.
Jul 1st, 2013, 04:16 AM

Can you carry that amount of baggage upstairs?

If not, try to carry less, though you will have to launder more.

Because I use a CPAP and have size 14 shoes, I can't get away with carryon only for more than a night, but if you can, you will find yourself much happier.
Jul 1st, 2013, 04:17 AM

That sounds like an awful lot of luggage to haul around - but there is no limit to what you can take onto a train. But you're the one who has to drag it on and off and find a place to put it. (Carry-ons will fit on the overhead rack - larger bags have to be left near the door in open areas.)

Be sure not to take more than you can easily lift up/down several steep, narrow steps - and through the various stations.
Jul 1st, 2013, 04:41 AM

BillT

Schlepping luggage around isn't fun (which is why we always rent a car). We did, however, take a night train from Amsterdam to Zurich about 6 months ago. What an experience! DH cannot/will not travel light. It was a comedy of errors getting all our stuff into our very small (deluxe???) cabin, but we made it.

I am now looking at packing for a week in Paris. Hoping I can pack a bit lighter.... we'll see. No trains, just a flight of stairs to navigate at the apartment I've rented.

Have a fun trip! What sort of souvenirs will Olive be bringing home this time?
Jul 1st, 2013, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking of taking one carry on and 2 suitcases. For 14 days that will be the minimum. Usually a man can get away with less but women seem to need more!
Jul 1st, 2013, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Carol:
When we do Europe we don't buy much for 2 reasons- 1) We won't have room for much and 2) the shopping in Asia is much better and cheaper so that is where we do our shopping.
Jul 1st, 2013, 05:17 AM

Bill, I totally agree that the shopping in Asia is better, and I do bring home a lot more from Bangkok than I do from Europe.

I should tell my DH you comment about "....a man can get away with less but women seem to need more...." since he's the one who cannot/will not take less! haha We tease him about it all the time.
Jul 1st, 2013, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm- imagine your husband and my wife on a trip together - seems they would need 4 suitcases , 2 carry ons and backpacks to carry all their "stuff"!
Jul 1st, 2013, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

I think one solution would be to get an apartment hotel with a washer and dryer half way thru our trip (Berlin). Then we could take less.
Jul 1st, 2013, 06:22 AM

You can also go to laundromats/laundrettes in cities. Rick Steves is good for listing laundromat locations. If you're traveling in the summer, you can wear lightweight clothes that are easy to wash out and dry overnight. You should have plenty of those if you live in Manila.

You need to be able to lift the big suitcases overhead as well as up and down flights of stairs.
Jul 1st, 2013, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

The only time I'm concerned is when we board the trains. Finding enough room to store the luggage. I'll do all the lifting and carrying on and off the trains.
Jul 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM

BillT: A carry on and two suitcases for 14 days?!? That is an enormous amount. Why do you need so much stuff? Or is that for both of you?

I manage any length trip w/ just catty on, but if I wanted to check bags, one 24 inch suitcase plus a small carry on would be more than enough.
Jul 1st, 2013, 09:26 AM

Do you mean you usually take 2 large suitcases and 2 carry-ons EACH? I just did a 10-day trip to Europe with one 22-inch suitcase and 1 small backpack carry-on, and I felt I had too much luggage, and I also didn't even wear everything I took. I did a small bag of launch mid-trip. I'd limit myself to one 22-inch suitcase and a carry on in any case just so you could deal with the security issues of luggage better. I really don't like to have my bags at the end of the car where I can't see them. But that's just me.
Jul 1st, 2013, 09:26 AM

Sorry ... I mistyped. I did a small bag of LAUNDRY mid-trip.
Jul 1st, 2013, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

When we go to Asia we take in total 2 large suitcases, 2 carry ons and a backpack. Going to Europe I think it will need to be two large suitcases and a backpack. We will be gone for about 14 days in total. I agree leaving the large suitcases at the front of the car concerns me as well. I don't see how we can get around doing that however as we can't possible make it on 2 small carry ons!
Jul 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM

We pack for 1 week and do laundry as needed - then it doesn't really matter how long the trip is. My husband and I each take a suitcase that is within the airline carryon limits and a personal item each. It makes train travel very easy. Some people like to bring more stuff and that makes them comfortable, but we feel more free and flexible if we pack light.

For laundry - sometimes we have an apartment with a washer/dryer, sometimes we go to a Laundromat and wash clothes ourselves, sometimes we send it out to a service. On one trip, we washed clothes in a Laundromat in Munich and later in the trip in Prague we sent out the same amount of clothes to a service - full service in Prague cost less than self-service in Munich
Jul 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM

What do you mean by large suitcases - a 25 or 26" case - or a 30" body bag (it can be difficult to find room for the latter

If you are taking more than a 26" I would really reconsider what you are packing. It is possible to do laundry - we have hotels do it - but you can find a laundromat if you prefer. And summer clothes are light/take up less space - 26" should be a whole wardrobe.
Jul 1st, 2013, 01:36 PM

Trains from Prague to Germany are not very good.

You should do some research. There is a thriving industry on taking non-stop coaches to various German towns on the Danube.

A lot of river cruises have a few days in Prague and then bus down to Germany.

You can also hire a private car to the border for not much more than the bus cost for two.

From there you can catch a train(s) to Dresden.
Jul 1st, 2013, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

I like the bus idea- thanks a bunch. That solves the luggage problem big time. We can then take the full size luggage and what ever else we need without the worry about stowing our bags!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO