Luggage on the Regionale Trains

Old Sep 24th, 2021, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage on the Regionale Trains

I'm in Italy and about to start traveling on the train. I think I'll mostly be on Regionale trains. What do you do with your larger luggage there? I haven't been on an Italian train with luggage in 20 years.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 08:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope your "larger luggage" isn't bigger than 21/22", otherwise just getting on/off the trains may be a bigger problem than where to put it.

There will probably be racks above your seat. This is the best reason not to have packed luggage that is so heavy you can't lift it above your shoulders (although people are usually kind enough to help). There will be racks at floor and waist level at one end of the carriage. Luggage there is usually safe from thieves (nobody wants your travel clothes), but I wouldn't sit with my back to them and I wouldn't pack anything of real value (camera, expensive souvenirs) or importance (passport, credit cards) in bags placed in those racks. I don't know how crowded trains are in these times, but usually there has been enough space to keep a bag on the floor near my seat. Even keeping the luggage in the aisle next to your seat is usually allowed.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please do not put luggage in the aisle. It makes it impossible for people with rolling cases to roll them and interferes with people getting on and off. There is often space between the seat backs in addition to the racks.

The advice not to travel with large luggage is sound. What does "larger" actually mean?
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 08:48 AM

Larger is bigger than carry on. The overhead racks are carry on size .

The worry isn't that somebody wants your clothing but that they'll hope you have something worth stealing. It does happen.
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Well, I have large luggage that won't fit in the overhead rack, so I'll have to do as best I can. It's not an expensive-looking suitcase, and there won't be anything in it but clothes. I carry all my electronics in my modest backpack.

It's still open seating, right? Just sit in any unoccupied seat?
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 06:42 PM

I know there are multiple reasons for having a lot of luggage but I once travelled with a friend who had a large suitcase which she struggled to lift and it became a real pain to deal with. She said she'd never do it again. If you can ditch the large, heavy case, I'd do so. However, if that's not practical, just put it in the luggage racks at the end of the carriage.

There is no reserved seating for regionale services.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 05:43 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
As you enter the train, there should be shelves for luggage at the end of the train. But not always.. Have you left for your trip? If not, buy a smaller piece of luggage as described above. In the total cost of your trip, it will be a minor expense. However, it will remove all the hassles a large piece of luggage creates! We have traveled several times for six weeks with a 22” bag each.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 08:19 AM

Yes, HappyTrvlr, I have traveled for months at a time with a 22 inch roller and a day pack, so I was wondering why the OP needed a "larger" suitcase just for clothes. It's possible she's going to a wedding and a couple of posh parties, or hiking up some mountains, but otherwise?
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 08:46 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr View Post
As you enter the train, there should be shelves for luggage at the end of the train. But not always.. Have you left for your trip? If not, buy a smaller piece of luggage as described above. In the total cost of your trip, it will be a minor expense. However, it will remove all the hassles a large piece of luggage creates! We have traveled several times for six weeks with a 22” bag each.

The OP is already in Italy -- that ship has sailed
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
Yes, HappyTrvlr, I have traveled for months at a time with a 22 inch roller and a day pack, so I was wondering why the OP needed a "larger" suitcase just for clothes. It's possible she's going to a wedding and a couple of posh parties, or hiking up some mountains, but otherwise?
Well, clothes and "stuff." In my defense, I've used every single thing I've brought. I have three pair of shoes total (counting what's on my feet), when I usually do just one, but in this case it's been a lifesaver because I've had serious issues with blisters, even with shoes that are very well broken in and that I've done long walks in before. I do/did have a largish supply of toiletries because it's a 7-week trip and some things I really can't do without - those are of course going down as I go along. (I'm not a small person, so they aren't small clothes and small shoes.)

I've done a lot of trips with just a carry-on size rolling bag and a day-pack, but it's always been pretty tight and a lot of work to fit everything in. I may go back to it next time.
Old Sep 25th, 2021, 01:24 PM

Blisters? Ouch. Toiletries I've always resupplied on the road, but I never take cosmetics. These days I feel like a walking pharmacy, though.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 09:40 AM

Pretty sure you can't secure your bag to the luggage rack, but has anyone used a bike lock to connect bags together, just to make walking off with them difficult?
We are travelling with 4, each with one large bag, & like the idea of not being worried if falling asleep and not sitting near the rack.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:28 AM

You can probably use a cable lock to attach the bag to the metal frame. I used a cable lock on Indian trains on occasion, but I have never bothered in Europe. I do keep an eye on my bag at stations if it is at the end of a compartment. Again, train travel is much easier if you travel light.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 10:40 AM

". . . We are travelling with 4, each with one large bag,"

That is 4X the hassle. Sure there are four of you each supposedly able to handle your own bags - but finding space in the racks for 4 large bags is that much tougher. Meaning more than likely one or more of your bags will have to be up on the higher shelves. And if the 4 of you are faffing about with cable ties that will cause a traffic jam in the area and the folks behind you trying to get on or off the train will not be happy. Trains don't stop for long in each station.

Just pack lighter . . .
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 11:05 AM

Again, how large is "large". Take a look at the photos here and you will see what passengers usually take with them: https://www.seat61.com/luggage-on-european-trains.htm
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
". . . We are travelling with 4, each with one large bag,"

That is 4X the hassle. Sure there are four of you each supposedly able to handle your own bags - but finding space in the racks for 4 large bags is that much tougher. Meaning more than likely one or more of your bags will have to be up on the higher shelves. And if the 4 of you are faffing about with cable ties that will cause a traffic jam in the area and the folks behind you trying to get on or off the train will not be happy. Trains don't stop for long in each station.

Just pack lighter . . .
Will be on a business trip, with multiple leisure days on either side, so minimalist packing won’t work.
We are more than capable of lifting a 40 lb bag into the top rack of the luggage closet.
Attaching a security cable can wait until we’re moving.

IMO, pack as heavy as you like, just be willing to deal with the extra headaches that come with it.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 02:15 PM

If you cable your bags to the racks or to each other, you must make sure that other people can move bags around in order to get everyone's bags in and out of the luggage area. It strikes me that this may inconvenience others.
Old Sep 26th, 2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
If you cable your bags to the racks or to each other, you must make sure that other people can move bags around in order to get everyone's bags in and out of the luggage area. It strikes me that this may inconvenience others.
I wouldn’t even consider this unless the bags are right next to each other & in a spot that doesn’t block anyone.

I may be wrong, but am quite certain it’s not permitted to attach bags to the train, only to each other.

Old Sep 26th, 2021, 04:07 PM

"Will be on a business trip, with multiple leisure days on either side, so minimalist packing won’t work."

Lots of people would think so -- but in any case I said lighter, not minimalist.

Old Sep 28th, 2021, 07:40 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
When we checked into a hotel in Milan with our 22”” luggage, the staff said they couldn’t believe we were from the US with that sized luggage. I have seen so many Americans blocking train aisles with luggage which is not appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information