Luggage on Rome to Venice Train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to take the train from Rome to Venice in about two weeks together with my wife and two kids. Based on advise on this site, I have booked first class for this ride. We will have four normal suitcases (like a Samsonite or Amercian Tourister type). I am not clear however if that will be a problem. Do trains provide the possibility to travel with luggage that is larger than just carry-on? If so, is it unsafe to leave the luggage in the area provided for this?
Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:43 AM
MaureenB

You ask a question I also wonder about: the safety of leaving your suitcases in the space provided next to the train's entrance/exit. EuroStar trains have that luggage area, which is a huge benefit, but I always wondered when my bag was sitting there, if anyone had the experience of having their bag stolen? It would be a simple thing to do, since the bags are sitting right there by the door and the luggage owners are in their seats, not able to see what's going on when the train stops. People seemed perfectly comfortable with leaving their bags sight unseen, and there's really no way around it if your bag is large. Anyone have any experience?

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Put your suitcases next to or on top of each other and link them with the TSA 3-Dial Lock and Cable that you get from www.magellans.com (click on Safety & Security). Nobody will run off with four suitcases strung together... Just make sure that other people's stuff can't get snared, and keep an eye out when the train comes to a stop in case you need to lend a hand, so your stuff doesn't hinder other people in their use of that space in case things get moved around.

But do you really need four full suitcases? A cabin-sized (legal for carry-on in the US) wheelie per person, plus a small backpack, should be plenty and will make life a lot easier!

WK
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM

I will also be taking a train from Rome to Venice. Does anyone know how much luggage they allow on the train as a carryon? I was hoping to take my wheeled suitcase (on the smaller side--20", I think)on board with me.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:06 AM

There is NO luggage limit on European trains, i.e., you are free to bring on as much as YOU can handle.

The limiting factor my be the space to put it which sometimes includes over the seat on a rack, under the seat, between seats which are configured back-to-back and in those luggage storage spaces at the end of the cars.

If you DO use the end of the car spaces and are concerned about theft, the bicycle security cable works well but DON'T spend the money to buy one from TravelSmith, Magellans, etc. as you can get them cheaper at the local hardware store or bicycle shop and they may be of an even sturdier quality. And get one with a combo lock which means one less key to lose.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:06 AM
ira

HI,

You can take as much luggage onto a train as you can get on/off.

The luggage racks at the ends of the train are for large suitcases. Carryon size goes in the o'head racks or between the seats.

The only time that you need to worry about your luggage is when the train is in the station.

Anyone want to buy a bicycle cable with lock? Perfect for attaching luggage to the luggage rack. Never used.

Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:35 AM

luli38, you seem to be under the impression that luggage you would check on an airplane will be checked on a train. This is not the case. You have to take everything on the train yourself, so as the others have pointed out, take what you can handle yourself.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 08:41 AM

And do not expect to see "porters" or other such folks in train stations to help with luggage. What you WILL see in larger stations are luggage carts, often rentable using coins so it is always advisable to have some small change with you.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Thanks SusanP. You are correct--I was under the impression that some bags would be "checked" rather than carried on board with me. Thanks for clearing up this up.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:09 AM

If you are only going from Rome to Venice, I believe that the tracks are at ground level. If, however you are going other places, (like Mestre station) you would have to go down a flight of stairs and back up to get from the station to the track. That's the point at which everyone vows to back lighter the next time!
Vera