Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Luggage for European Train travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luggage-for-european-train-travel-606328/)

Ptolly Apr 9th, 2006 02:28 AM

Luggage for European Train travel

l am intending to travel for 5 weeks (Hotel accom)mostly by train and car. l am planning on using the 'sausage like bag'- (don't knonw their official title!) which has wheels at one end and a retractable handle. Are these considered to be suitable? My daughter (who travelled with Contiki) says they are dificcult, cumbersome and don't stand upright when in queues. l thought it would be good for the narrow isles on the train and for compacting into the trunk of a car.Does anyone have an opinion on these for travel on European trains?

janisj Apr 9th, 2006 04:26 AM

Actually - I agree w/ your daughter. Some people use and like the rolling duffles, but I find them more cumbersome than just a regular 21 inch roll aboard suitcase.

That is the largest bag I ever use. Just got back from a 10 day trip and took a 19 incher but for most any length trip a 21 inch bag is big enough. If that seems just too daunting, you could go as big as a 24 inch rolling bag - knowing you'd have to check it. Most any car (except a SmartCar) has enough trunk space for a 24 inch suitcase.

Luisah Apr 9th, 2006 09:00 AM

I bought a rolling duffel and returned it. It was awkward and falls over when upright. I was afraid that I, or someone else, would trip over it. I used a 24" rolling suitcase and got on and off the train easily. It was not too wide for the train aisle.

I like the "sausage" description.

suze Apr 9th, 2006 09:13 AM

For the reasons above, I agree rolling duffles are harder to manage. Too floppy.

I would suggest a normal suitcase shape in 22-24" size. That's perfect. And you can ride a small 2nd bag (a tote or carry-on) on top of it.

Neopolitan Apr 9th, 2006 09:16 AM

I've had two rolling duffels and I've never had either fall over. But I have helped friends with rolling 24 inchers which twisted easily if you tried to pull them too quick. I guess it's all what you like. I love my big rolling duffel with good sized wheels and a longer extension handle than many suitcases so it is ideal for pulling and for stowing.

Ptolly Apr 9th, 2006 03:10 PM

Thanks for all the info - seems its really up to personal choice.

Ptolly Apr 9th, 2006 03:11 PM

P.S. at least now l know what they're called! The rolling duffle bag!

Neopolitan Apr 9th, 2006 03:37 PM

Interesting. I was about to post an apology for my spelling error thinking you were probably all correct with duffle and I was probably wrong. But when I checked on an online dictionary, I found out it is a DUFFEL, not a DUFFLE. No biggie, I just surprised myself.

Neopolitan Apr 9th, 2006 03:38 PM

oh, and yes, I should give credit to Luisah for spelling it right too.

Luisah Apr 10th, 2006 09:00 AM

Thanks N., but I think I've spelled it both ways too.

I know what you mean about the rolling bags tipping. I have a small one that kind of flips when it's almost empty. I think it's the design. My others don't do that.

I looked at a duffel at Target (an Eddie Bauer) a few days ago and and sure enough when I stood it up it went fell right over frontward. You must have a better-designed duffel.

suze Apr 10th, 2006 09:23 AM

I have that 'tipsy' problem when I use the expandable feature on my 24".

gomiki Apr 10th, 2006 09:29 AM

I packed a friend's rolling duffel (I'm better at it) and was shocked to discover that when it was pulled along by the handle my foot hit the bag. It was not possible to walk normally. Everything was switched to a regular rolling bag! Be sure to try "using" it in the store.

Neopolitan Apr 10th, 2006 09:30 AM

My current rolling duffel is a Hartman, a gift from my partner. It is a fantastic piece that never tips, rolls perfectly even on cobblestones, and packs great. I'd never spend the $500 or so it costs, but I'm sure glad I have it.

cadillac1234 Apr 10th, 2006 10:42 AM

I got a 30" Victorinox Lingo duffel for Christmas so I'll be testing it out this May in Europe.

It can hold a heckuva lot of stuff and is fairly lightweight. The hard bottom is great for carrying shoes. It is a bit on the big side but isn't much more bulkier than my wife's 21".

The hard part will be keeping the weight down since it's got so much room in it.

Ptolly Apr 13th, 2006 05:02 PM

So it seems the DUFFEL is not without its problems! l will wait and see how a friend of mine fares - she is currently touring France and Italy with a DUFFEL so l will get a full comentary no doubt! l thought it wouls be better for stowing when we are in the hire car. Thanks for all the great input.

katt58 Apr 13th, 2006 05:46 PM

When we travel more extensively by train in Europe, we don't bring any of our luggage with wheels. We still prefer our old 22" carry-on backpacks for space as well as mobility, getting on/off trains, and on cobblestone/uneven streets.