Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Luggage Dilemmas-22 "or 24"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luggage-dilemmas-22-or-24-a-350379/)

GailLK Aug 21st, 2003 11:54 AM

Luggage Dilemmas-22 "or 24"?

I'm sure this question has come up a few times, but I'm having some doubts about trying to fit 2 1/2 weeks worth of clothes into one of those little 22" carry all bags. My husband and I are not overpackers, but I don't know if I could possibly wear the same 3 pairs of pants and t-shirts for the entire trip. I also don't want to spend too much time "washing" out clothes at night. Might be nice to "dress" up a bit for dinner occasionally. Would it be easy to manage a 24" suitcase on the trains in Italy? Will I be able to keep the bag with me at all times, or will I have to put it in a luggage rack, out of sight, on the trains?
We will be staying at least 2-3 nights in each destination and will travel entirely by train... Thanks!

Statia Aug 21st, 2003 12:03 PM

Hi Gail,

If you go with a 22", you could always find a place to do a load of laundry once a week. Takes a couple hours of your time, but it's worth it to pack light and the clothes are cleaner than washing in the hotel sink. I've done this in Paris with no problems, and have seen laundromats in various other European cities.

On the other hand, if you want to do the 24" carry on, I don't think it would be that much diferent from a 22". We recently traveled on Eurostar with a 22" each and had no problem fitting them in the overhead bins. I think that a 24" would fit, as well, as ours still had space on the sides of them. 24" may not fit in the overhead bins or be within regulation carry-ons for your airline, however. You might want to look into that.

Good luck in your decision.

Intrepid Aug 21st, 2003 12:08 PM

Except on Eurostar-type trains there should be plenty of room in luggage racks directly over your seat to store the luggage. Ons suggestion, take along one of those flexible bicycle lock CABLES...get one with a changeable combination lock so you won't have to worry about losing the key and you can secure your luggage if you're concerned about theft..of course this works better with hard-sided luggage than soft-sided. In the many years of traveling in Europe by train I've never had a luggage theft but do NOT store your luggage unsecured near train doorways (in the "vestibule" area) as someone may be tempted to reach in and snatch it at one of the stations along the way (a somewhat recurring problem in places where there is train service from airports to center-city, e.g., Amsterdam, where the train makes short, intermediate stops).

clevelandbrown Aug 21st, 2003 12:17 PM

We noticed that the experienced train riders in Italy put their bags between the back to back seats. Its a lot easier than lifting them into an overhead bin, and they are easy to keep an eye on.

The main disadvantage to me of the 24 inch bag is that it cannot be carried on to a plane. On our trips, we have had instances where we had to connect from a plane to a train, for example, and didn't have time to wait for checked luggage.

Many hotels have laundry service, if you don't want to do it yourself. On our next trip we plan to rent an apartment with a washer and dryer, and tote a minimal amount of clothing.

GailLK Aug 21st, 2003 12:19 PM

Thanks for your replies and I know for sure that the 24" will never fit in the airplane overhead bins since I have problems trying to fit a 22" (with much aggrevation)in them. I don't have a problem with checking my luggage at the airport anyway. It's easier than going through security.
Will probably take the 24" and drag it along.... Thanks!

Statia Aug 21st, 2003 01:03 PM

ClevelandBrown,

You won't regret the apartment with washing machine. We just went that route in Florence and Venice and doubt we will travel in Europe any other way in the future. However, keep in mind that dryers aren't to be found, really. So, you have to be sure to wash and leave plenty of time for the clothes to dry on their own.

amelia Aug 21st, 2003 02:02 PM

Although there was a day when we even fit our hiking boots and a backpack into a 22", I'm afraid my talent for that is now gone. I just can't do it anymore.

Now we always do a 22" and a backpack (outside the suitcase!) per person. Both fit everywhere (including teeny tiny rental car trunks) and one has the advantage of the extra luggage room with always at least one hand free. It's always an option to put the backpack by your legs or on your lap on the train, too.

As an alternative, I think it was Rex who long ago said that if you have to go bigger than a 22", then just have two 22"s or smaller. You can step onto the train easily with them, and it truly is easier trying to deal with two small suitcases on a teeny Italian staircase than dealing with one larger case.

Gretchen Aug 21st, 2003 02:47 PM

We have loved, loved, loved our 22" that expand to 24". It is similar to our flight attendant daughter's luggage. I/we pack in the 22" and then coming home have the extra room for what we bring back. Got ours (Atlantic, I think) at Tuesday Morning for $50.

Jean Aug 21st, 2003 05:07 PM

The bigger the bag, the more it holds, the more you bring, the more it all weighs... After a few trips up steep stairs, on and off trains, up and over Venice canal bridges, etc., the idea of taking less stuff might appeal.

If you can borrow a friend's 22" bag, see how much of what you'd like to take will fit. You might be surprised.

cmt Aug 21st, 2003 05:30 PM

I don't think I've seen the 24" size offered. It is too difficult for me to fit things into a 22" since I always want to be sure that I have comfortable shoes and, on some trips, hiking boots, and they take up so much room. But I really don't need all the space in the 26" that I take (though I manage to use it up, since it's there). 24" would probaly be perfect for me.

RufusTFirefly Aug 21st, 2003 06:11 PM

We normally take a 26" and 27" and haven't had any trouble on trains anywhere in Europe--UK, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Czech Republic. We take a small carryon with one day's clothes in case our luggage doesn't make it with us.

adrienne Aug 21st, 2003 06:11 PM

Hi cmt,

American Tourister makes a 24". I bought one after I realized the 26" I bought was just to large and heavy to lift. Of course I packed it full!

This thread has me thinking about getting a 22". What's one more suitcase in the basement! If you put a small bag with it for a few items like hiking boots that take up a lot of space I think that would be more manageable.

adrienne

erinb Aug 21st, 2003 07:08 PM

hi Gailk,

If you are interested, email me. I have a plan called the "7 day suitcase" that will get you thru 2 weeks with almost no washing.

And you can take a 24-26inch suitcase and it is managable.

email me at [email protected]

erinb Aug 21st, 2003 07:09 PM

correction on email...that is

[email protected]

sorry!

GailLK Aug 22nd, 2003 04:32 AM

I actually have a 22" now, and it's one of those Atlantic Expandables which I could probably open up all the zippers and really "EXPAND" it so it probably will hold quite a bit. But I found when I overstuffed it, I had trouble fitting it in the overhead bins on the planes so that means I'd have to check it. I also have a matching "tote" bag that can be hooked over the handle for easy transport, but I'm only allowed 1 bag carry on, so again will end up having to check the 22". So really it wouldn't matter if I have a 22" or 24". But I do wonder about lugging the 24" in Positano. I heard it's very "hilly" there... Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure this one out eventually.... Thanks for your all your feedbacks....

e_roz Aug 22nd, 2003 06:00 PM

we went for 2 wks and I brought a 22 inch wheelie suitcase. We dropped off our laundry at the local washateria (sp??) after week one and for 8 euros got our washed, dryed, ironed clothes back cleaner than ever! Dropped off on Tues, picked up Wed. by 5.

suze Aug 23rd, 2003 02:00 PM

The reason I formerly took one 22" roller was because that USED to be a carry-on for the plane. The last couple trips, British Air went by weight so I had to check my 22" anyway.

I have recently decided that attempting to carry-on for the flight is simply not worth it these days, and plan ahead to check-in. I recently purchased a 24" (with a little more expandable) but haven't traveled with it yet.

Even packing light, I was always "falling out" of the 22" (i.e., had a huge handbag or tote as well) so think the 24" will be perfect! Now all I need is a trip to go on!!!

suze Aug 23rd, 2003 02:03 PM

As long as it's got wheels and is not packed too heavy, you should be fine on the trains, with either size. Just be sure you can pick it up over your head, which may occasionally be necessary to get it on a rack. And don't carry more than 1 additional item (i.e., a daypack or purse).

Ronda Aug 23rd, 2003 10:04 PM

I have travelled with both and find the larger suitcase just to heavy. It is a nuisance on stairs, and difficult to get on the train. I have to carry it myself as my husband has his hands full with his computer (business), camera, and his own suitcase. We did try taking three carry on suitcases (checked one), but again, it is difficult to manage.

We are going to Venice, Milan, Barcelona and Bilboa (two weeks)the end of September and my husband is telling me I have to take one 22" suitcase. I will also bring a small Jansport type backback with my makeup kit, books for the plane, and stuff my purse in it (since they only allow 2 carry ons).

DH doesn't believe in checking luggage as we have had too many near "escapes" and wouldn't have made our connections if we had checked luggage. My biggest problem is going to be shoes.

JoyceL Aug 24th, 2003 05:57 AM

Since you plan to be traveling from place to place, the 22" would be much better. The 24" would be okay if you would be staying in only one destination.

If the 22" does not have enough space, also take a backpack.