Reload this Page >

Luggage checkin in CH

Search

Luggage checkin in CH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:43 PM
gullu

Luggage checkin in CH

I have heard you can checkin your luggage at any train station in Switzerland and they will deliver it to your destination, maybe even to your hotel in the destination. Is it true? Has anyone done this? Is it reliable?<BR><BR>Can I checkin my baggage in Geneva and pick it up in Murren or even my hotel in murren.<BR><BR>What are the charges?

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:08 PM
Linda

Gullu, It really is true. As with most things Swiss, it works likes promised. Charge is 10 CHF per piece. My husband and I have done this on both our Switzerland trips. Very easy, though I think you or your hotel have to pick the bags up at the train station, and luckily there is a train station at the Zurich airport if you flying home from there. We highly recommend it.<BR>Linda

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Jen

Yes, you can check your luggage, but when I was there about a week ago, they said it would take a day-and-a-half to arrive. If you want to leave in the AM, make a stop during the day, and expect to arrive that same evening with your bags already there, it won't happen. Suggest taking some clothes along with you and sending the rest on the train for next day arrival.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:44 AM
gullu

A day and a half should be fine. I will plan accordingly. Maybe checkin the night before. Thanks for this information.<BR><BR>I had an additional question. If for some unforseen reason I cannot collect the baggage when it arrives at the destination (there must be a time when the luggage store/checkin facility closes, like 7:00pm). Is there a fine/penalty to pick it up the next morning? Will they hold it overnight? Another thing, can I ask the hotel to pick up my luggage from the train station. Does that work?<BR><BR>Thanks!!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Andre

gullu,<BR><BR>This link should answer most of your questions regarding the luggage service:<BR>http://www.rail.ch/pv/baggage_e.htm<BR><BR>Yes, it really works, but have adequate insurance coverage, as our bags were once damaged and the railway co. only pays little or even nothing. So purchase extra insurance if you're not covered by your existing household/luggage insurance.<BR><BR>Local opening times for the luggage counter vary - your hotel concierge will know the details. While I've never picked up luggage in M&uuml;rren, I have done so in other car-free towns (Zermatt & Wengen) and it's common for this hotel to pick up your luggage for free if it isn't waiting for you at the station (a tip is much appreciated though).<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR>Andre

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 07:57 AM
richard j vicek

Good morning, Gulllu CH Sbb has a most<BR>excellant baggage system, have used it<BR>much. We have also used it when flying<BR>Swiss by checking in our bags at our<BR>Swiss terminal here in Chicago and the<BR>destination would be e.g. Grindelwald..<BR>Noted that the bags were on same train<BR>as we when we changed trains in Bern<BR>and also when we arrived in Grindelwald<BR>the bags were being unloaded at the same<BR>time. Have also sent bags to Zurich<BR>with the heavy clothes we were wearing<BR>and did not need when we went south to IT., for about 12 days and all worked<BR>well. Have done this a number of times<BR>and was not burdened with bags when going from one place to the other. The<BR>porter at the hotels were always available to go to the Bahnhof and retreive out bags, naturally given a small gratuity...x Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.<BR>

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
gullu

Wonderful. I feel so much better now. Thanks for the information.