Luggage check at Pompeii- is it safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking a trip to Italy and June and are going to visit Pompeii for a couple of hours on our way to Rome from Capri. We plan to take the ferry from Capri to Sorrento and then the Circumvesuviana to Pompeii Scavi.

I'd like to leave our luggage at the luggage check in Pompeii during our tour. We will have 2 large suitcases with us. Anyone have any experience with this? Do you put your suitcases in lockers or is it a room managed by an attendant? Do we need luggage locks or is theft at all an issue?

Thanks!
Old Apr 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 07:44 AM

I am an official tour guide in Pompeii and I can say that such a luggage service is COMPLETELY SAFE and included in the ticket price. So don't worry and enjoy your adventure in this amazing and fascinating roaman town.

Pompeiiguide
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 08:26 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the case that you don't lock luggage on flights in - and from - the States?

I have to say that I'd find that took some getting used to, and would still bring little locks - to use once I'd arrived... and you may prefer the slight element of security, and peace of mind, which that would offer?

I'd happily leave our stuff with the Pompei people, but here the locks are locked before we left home - and then stay that way except for packing and unpacking...

Peter
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM

An edit facility would have let me correct that...

"but here the locks are locked before we leave home - and then stay that way except for packing and unpacking..."

P
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:19 AM

Yeah, sure!
I'm just saying that this is a normal tourist service and all your luggages stay in a closed room with the staff preposed to watch it!
Many tourist leave their luggages in the Hotel and go back to bring it after the tour (when you have time of course).

Pompeiiguide
Old May 11th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Very helpful, thanks!
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:37 AM

Your nudge has propelled me to look further, and I found this - which has explained the locks issue....

http://adventuretravel.about.com/od/...a/TSAlocks.htm

As I said, I'd happily leave our bags with the Pompei cloakroom staff, but clearly there are people who travel with more valuable stuff than us....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32360990...talian-resort/

Hard to know what to say, isn't it!

Peter
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Good info. I think we'll buy the TSA approved luggage locks just to be safe for both the flight and the luggage check at Pompeii.
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM

I looked into the lock issue a bit more as well, but I did find that some countries might not have the key to get in if they have too! Is that true? Is it advised to lock your bags when traveling to other countries and leave your bags at hotels before you can check in etc?
Old May 12th, 2011, 08:32 AM

I used this service 2 years' ago with no problem. My luggage was unlocked - I didn't even question whether it should be locked or not.
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:01 AM

I'd not previously noticed, but cases etc with TSA-standard locks are now available here...

http://www.trovaprezzi.it/prezzo_bor...a_roncato.aspx

Haven't seen anything about security people here having keys of that sort, but perhaps they do?

We just lock up as a matter of course.... and I guess would have to buy some string if the cases needed to be forced open!

Peter