Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

luggage allowances internationally from Hawaii to Rome Fiumicino Airport

Sep 19th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying from Hawaii to Rome the first of Oct. and bringing many presents for family.
Wondering if the weight and number of luggage is different than flying in the U.S.

I'm flying from Hawaii to Los Angeles on American and then LA with a stop in Munich on Lufthansa then to Rome, Fiumicino Airport.
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Assuming you're changing planes in Munich you may find that the european leg of the flight has much more stringent luggage requirements - both overall and the weight and size you can carry on. (I've seen small US carry-ons have to be gate checked in Zurich since the length with the wheels was more than 20".

You should check what airline that leg will be and what the requirements are.
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM

Rosemariedancer, I can’t answer your luggage question, but just thinking about the LENGTH of your trip makes me exhausted! Hope that you have a good long stay in Europe after that journey ......
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM

the airlines' websites will tell you exactly what the baggage limits/requirements are.
Sep 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I too an exhausted thinking about it but it's worth it. I have wonderful family there as much as I hate to leave my island. With the new restrictions I had a problem just flying to the Big Island from Oahu last week so I want to avoid any problems. I have searched on Luftansa's site but couldn't find any answers.Seeing as I will be changing to another carrier in Munich, I'm not sure Luftansa would help anyway. I will try again. When they ask you to check you carry-ons what do they require for payment?
Sep 19th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Transatlantic flights typically have different luggage rules from both other international flights AND from US domestic flights.

The standard procedure, though, is that if you're on a transatlantic flight which includes a connection with the same airline or airline partnership, the transatlantic rules apply to the connecting flight.

In your case, assuming you're on Lufthansa both across the Atlantic and from Munich to Rome, you get the transatlantic allowance on the Munich-Rome leg.

You MIGHT not get it on the Hawaii-LA bit though, since it's not on Lufthansa or a Star Alliance airline. It's the US domestic segment you need to check - though if you're carrying a lot a luggage, it's worth checking the LA-Munich-Rome rules with Lufthansa as well
Sep 19th, 2009, 10:33 PM

I was writing my answer as you decided to tell us you'd given inadequate information in your earlier post.

Just phone the airlines.
Sep 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
J62

Can you give us more info, like

a) the airlines HNL-LAX, LAX-MUC, and MUC-FCO?
b) whether you purchased this as one ticket, even if it's on different airlines, or whether you purchased separate tickets for all or some of the legs.

If you tell us that we can give you more insight.