Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   luggage allowances internationally from Hawaii to Rome Fiumicino Airport (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/luggage-allowances-internationally-from-hawaii-to-rome-fiumicino-airport-806890/)

Rosemariedancer Sep 19th, 2009 06:12 PM

luggage allowances internationally from Hawaii to Rome Fiumicino Airport

I'm flying from Hawaii to Rome the first of Oct. and bringing many presents for family.
Wondering if the weight and number of luggage is different than flying in the U.S.

I'm flying from Hawaii to Los Angeles on American and then LA with a stop in Munich on Lufthansa then to Rome, Fiumicino Airport.

nytraveler Sep 19th, 2009 06:16 PM

Assuming you're changing planes in Munich you may find that the european leg of the flight has much more stringent luggage requirements - both overall and the weight and size you can carry on. (I've seen small US carry-ons have to be gate checked in Zurich since the length with the wheels was more than 20".

You should check what airline that leg will be and what the requirements are.

latedaytraveler Sep 19th, 2009 07:21 PM

Rosemariedancer, I can’t answer your luggage question, but just thinking about the LENGTH of your trip makes me exhausted! Hope that you have a good long stay in Europe after that journey ......

janisj Sep 19th, 2009 07:32 PM

the airlines' websites will tell you exactly what the baggage limits/requirements are.

Rosemariedancer Sep 19th, 2009 10:18 PM

Thank you all for your help. I too an exhausted thinking about it but it's worth it. I have wonderful family there as much as I hate to leave my island. With the new restrictions I had a problem just flying to the Big Island from Oahu last week so I want to avoid any problems. I have searched on Luftansa's site but couldn't find any answers.Seeing as I will be changing to another carrier in Munich, I'm not sure Luftansa would help anyway. I will try again. When they ask you to check you carry-ons what do they require for payment?

flanneruk Sep 19th, 2009 10:25 PM

Transatlantic flights typically have different luggage rules from both other international flights AND from US domestic flights.

The standard procedure, though, is that if you're on a transatlantic flight which includes a connection with the same airline or airline partnership, the transatlantic rules apply to the connecting flight.

In your case, assuming you're on Lufthansa both across the Atlantic and from Munich to Rome, you get the transatlantic allowance on the Munich-Rome leg.

You MIGHT not get it on the Hawaii-LA bit though, since it's not on Lufthansa or a Star Alliance airline. It's the US domestic segment you need to check - though if you're carrying a lot a luggage, it's worth checking the LA-Munich-Rome rules with Lufthansa as well

flanneruk Sep 19th, 2009 10:33 PM

I was writing my answer as you decided to tell us you'd given inadequate information in your earlier post.

Just phone the airlines.

J62 Sep 20th, 2009 02:45 AM

Can you give us more info, like

a) the airlines HNL-LAX, LAX-MUC, and MUC-FCO?
b) whether you purchased this as one ticket, even if it's on different airlines, or whether you purchased separate tickets for all or some of the legs.

If you tell us that we can give you more insight.