Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lufthansa to Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lufthansa-to-italy-351186/)

PNW_Traveller Aug 24th, 2003 09:25 AM

Lufthansa to Italy

I'm flying Lufthansa to Milan next month. With most US airlines I take my meal with me, the airline food is usually awful! Do I need to do the same with Lufthansa? I've found that some foreign airlines have pretty decent food. I'm flying coach :-(

Intrepid Aug 24th, 2003 09:39 AM

I honestly don;t think you can reasonable expect to get a definitive answer to this question since we have absolutely no idea what your taste is in terms of food, airline-offered or otherwise..what seems good to some might seem awful to you and the only way you'll find out is by waiting to see what happens ON THE PLANE.
My advice: if you usually take food with you on other airlines I'd do it again on this one.

francophile03 Aug 24th, 2003 09:41 AM

Get ready for alot of positive and negative comments about Lufthansa's food. Generally, for all airlines nowadays, the food in coach (aka cattle class) is awful.

In regards to Lufthansa specifically I ordered special meals for my husband and myself (low salt, low fat) - they offer a choice of either seafood not vegeterian so we chose seafood. Their vegeterian dishes have gotten bad comments.

Honestly the seafood dish was shrimp which I believe was curried a bit. It was pretty good actually. They served it with some salad and a roll with a custard like dessert plus a cute little bottle of German mineral water. My son had the child's meal and he liked it and it came with a Milka chocolate bar also.

The regular meals I believe on our flights were chicken or beef. They looked allright and everyone ate their meals.

One thing I find that is nice about Lufthansa inflight service is that the flight attendants are genuinely nice and helpful and they serve juice and water during the flight. We were also given snacks during the movie.

All in all I expected Lufthansa's meals to be horrible but it was not so.

Others have found it to be the opposite however.

ed Aug 24th, 2003 02:07 PM

Does anybody know if drinks (beer, wine)are free on Lufthansa overseas flights?

We are flying LAX to FRA -10 1/2 hours. @-)

NYCFoodSnob Aug 24th, 2003 02:14 PM

What a dreadful airline. But, then again, I won't fly Alitalia, either. Pack your favorite snacks for sure.

Budman Aug 24th, 2003 04:37 PM

Last time I flew Luftansa from Newark to Paris, drinks were free. Wine was Jug wine (screw top) in cattle car. Mixed drinks were poured out of a large bottle -- no mini's. Maybe they had good wine in first and business class.

In general, the food was so-so. Next time I fly Lufthansa, I'll bring my own stuff. ((b))

JenV Aug 24th, 2003 08:36 PM

I found Lufthansa food to be ok (coach), better than the usual US airline food (I usu. fly AA or United - very bad food). All alcohol was free on flight back from Rome, however as previous poster mentioned it was boxed wine quality and I nursed a bad hangover as a result.

Dick Aug 25th, 2003 05:02 AM

FoodSnob,

I disagree with your statement of "what a dreadful airline".

We were fortunate to have flown Lufthansa first class( frequent flyer tickets) and the service and food was superb.

I saved the menu which offered several excellent choices and at least 10 different wines. If you like, I'll post the menu.

Maybe the coach service is "dreadful" but certainly you can't say that about the entire airline.

RufusTFirefly Aug 25th, 2003 05:09 AM

I've never had a really good meal on any airline--and I've flown on many in the last 50 years. But I haven't had that many terrible ones either--ones that you just couldn't stand to have it in your mouth. Most are just there--OK as fuel and to help pass some time in flight.

The best meals I ever had were the old unpretentious box lunches of the 50's and early 60's that many airlines served. Ham and cheese or turkey sandwiches, an apple or orange, chips, and some cookies.

Melnq8 Aug 25th, 2003 06:28 AM

I fly Lufthansa quite often, and I've flown in both business class and coach. I've found the food in Business class to be pretty unpalatable, but then of course, I'm not big on duck.

They usually offer a pasta or vegetarian option, and I've had better luck with these.

Ed - Yes, Lufthansa offers complete complimentary beverage service on its overseas flights. I quite like some of their German wines, despite what previous posters have said.

You can have the duck though....

dumas1870 Aug 25th, 2003 07:07 AM

Lufthansa is not dreadful. I've flown them many times. Its better than some and worse than a few. If you are the type that worries, than take your own food, but eat the airline food if it looks good.

swalter518 Aug 25th, 2003 07:37 AM

I've flown Luft. before and found the food to be typical airline food-bring a snack just in case. Also, the service was spectacular, very friendly and helpful. The beer was free in coach (Wersteinter).

lvitaly Aug 25th, 2003 07:45 AM

Does anyone know if they offer or sell extra ammenities such as neck pillows? Headphones for movies and music- any charge?

swalter518 Aug 25th, 2003 07:52 AM

Headphones were free

Barb Aug 25th, 2003 08:29 AM

I flew Lufthansa to Milan in 2001 and must say it was the best service/FA of any airline I've flown with. The food was good and the wine was just fine. All beverages were free and we had our choice of brandy or Bailey's before they turned the lights out for the night. In the a.m. we were served with warm face cloths, which I thought was just wonderful. I'm hoping SAS will be as good next month.

bryarsmom Aug 25th, 2003 09:43 AM

Oh Barb, I'm so glad you posted your views. We're flying ATL-Rome in Nov. and we've had no experience with Luft. I was also dreading the food-so much so that I did an earlier post, asking for food carry-on suggestions for our flight.There were some great ideas-I think I'll take some of the best suggestions-just to be on safe side.

subcon Aug 25th, 2003 11:18 AM

i've always been fascinated by the negative comments about airline food. if you don't like it, then don't eat it.

with the new "thrifty" airline policy which now does not include meals, will y'all bitch about the lack of food?

get over it!

airline food has been poor since its inception and for a very good reason: it has to be prepared well in advance of its consumption (which is an immediate liability) and then eaten in an uncommodius enviroment.

stop whining, deal with the flight and, then, enjoy yourselves

subcon Aug 25th, 2003 11:23 AM

P.S.

the food on my flight from atlanta to zurich was acceptible. i ate it.

Budman Aug 25th, 2003 04:19 PM

subcon -- some people will eat anything?

Dick, 95% of the people who fly Lufthansa don't fly first class, don't have leg room, and don't have 10 different wines to chose from. I am pleased you had a nice flight.

In coach class, the white wine was horrible, the red wine drinkable, and the food, especially the vegetarian dish (they ran out of turkey), was as bad as the white wine. ((b))

fluffy Aug 25th, 2003 04:27 PM

I hate to be a kill joy, but I had without question the worst meal of my life on Lufthansa, first off it was not even recogizableand & completely uneatable.
The service was great even in coach, I did bring an x-tra blanket and pillow, but beware of the food.
Fluffy