Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lufthansa strike (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lufthansa-strike-123352/)

Shannon May 11th, 2001 02:42 AM

Lufthansa strike

I am traveling to London from Munich on a Lufthansa flight on May 25. We will only be there for four days and really cannot afford to have our flight delayed or cancelled. I know that Lufthansa is planning more strikes and I just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything new about it or has any advice on what to do if my flight is cancelled. I am very worried! Thanks in advance for any replies. <BR>

Miriam May 11th, 2001 03:39 AM

Hello Shannon, <BR> <BR>you`ll be ok on that date. They`ll continue striking, but only on Thursdays. I was at the Airport yesterday and it was deserted! If your flight is cancelled you have just to book yourself on a BA flight. Lufthansa has to refund you. Every day the pilots are on strike costs LH 50.000.000DM. <BR> <BR>Good luck <BR>Miriam

Linda May 11th, 2001 03:58 AM

Shannon and Miriam: <BR> <BR>When you say striking on Thursday--do I understand that the pilots will strike on Thursday nights and carry over into Friday? If so how long on Fridays. We leave Miami on a Wednesday to Frankfurt and on to Istanbul on Thursday morning. Are we OK?

linda May 11th, 2001 04:00 AM

Shannon and Miriam: <BR> <BR>When you say the pilots will strike on Thursdays--do you mean from Thursday midnight in to Friday? <BR> <BR>We are leaving Miami on a Wednesday to Frankfurt and on to Istanbul on Thursday. Are we OK?

Anna May 11th, 2001 04:16 AM

Linda- <BR>I would recommend calling the airline or your travel agent if you used one to book your tickets. We had a somewhat similar situation in that our flight from Chicago to NewYork was cancelled due to the Comair strike. We then fly to Istanbul from JFK. The Delta rep was very accommodating and got us on a United flight so we should have no problem getting to our next connection. We called United to confirm we were booked on their flight and so far everything looks good.

linda May 11th, 2001 04:24 AM

Anna: <BR> <BR>Thanks a ton for your reply. I calleed Lufthansa and they assured me "not to worry". I've already call AMEX Platinum Travel to get their spin.

Miriam May 11th, 2001 04:32 AM

Hello Linda, <BR> <BR>they always start Thursday 0:00, which is technically 6pm US eastern time. In another thread I posted that they`ll not touch the International flights. Yesterday was the first 24hour strike. Last Thursday everybody went back to work at 3pm. <BR>I don`t think that you should worry about the US-Germany leg of your trip. Is your flight to Istanbul LH, as well? Well, that`s different then. I`ve seen most of those European flights being cancelled yesterday. <BR> <BR>Sorry, Linda <BR> <BR>Miriam

linda May 11th, 2001 04:55 AM

Miriam: <BR> <BR>Thanks for the not good news. We are on LH from Franfurt to Isanbul. We are suppose to leave Frankfurt around 10:00am on a Thursday. We just heard back from AMEX and they said the same as LH "don't worry, no prblem" kind of scary.

cheryl May 11th, 2001 05:05 AM

My sister was booked out of Boston on Lufthansa last night. Knowing that the strike was imminent, she called the airline the day before, and requested that her flight be changed. At first they offered to send her out a day later, but when she said that wasn't acceptable, they switched her ticket to an AirFrance flight. If I were you, I would try this, but don't do it too far in advance. She tried last week, but was told that they wouldn't do anything until closer to her flight. Good luck.