Lufthansa OR Air France?

Search

Lufthansa OR Air France?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lufthansa OR Air France?

My fiancee and I will be flying from San Francisco to Rome in early September for our honeymoon.

Which is better: Lufthansa or Air France?

Any tips on price? Prices seem to be going up. Is this going to be the case as it keeps getting closer?
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 08:05 PM

I'm not sure if you're comparing the air fares of both airlines or the comfort of flying from SFO to Rome.

I seem to notice that prices for Lufthansa are a little better than for Air France. Lufhansa seems to have more specials although not many. However, you have to check each on a daily basis almost and ask different phone reps. about any upcoming specials. Some reps may give you an idea of when to inquire and others will say they never know-depends on whom you happen to talk with.

Regarding comfort (and I fly from San Francisco also so I know it's a long journey) I had an unfavorable experience flying Air France but it was 4 years ago on one of the old 747's. I understand they have gotten rid of all of them or almost all of them and some people really like AF.

However, I flew Lufthansa last year and was really pleased because their fleet appears to be quite new and the food was actually allright plus the seats were alot more comfortable than on that old AF 747. It's even more comfortable than tight British Airways' seats-just fyi.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:33 PM

Congratulations.....I hope you have a perfectly romantic honeymoon!
Of the two airlines I would choose Lufthansa. Out of SF you can connect either through Munich or Frankfurt.
With that said Lufthansa and Air France are going to be more expensive. Are you limited to just these two carriers?
Also you might want to consider routing. Do you want your connections in the US or do you want them abroad. Personally if I am going to fly overseas I would prefer to get my connecting flights domestically. That way upon landing you are not stressed out to figure out where to go etc...unless you are already familiar with airport.
Also I was just checking on fares. In my search American and Delta came up the cheapest. American at $934.00 per person. Lufthansa was around $1100.00.
The European carriers tend to also be more strict on the luggage but that is probobly changing as well with Domestic Carriers. So if luggage or shopping is an issue you might want to consider that as well.
Pricing? Decide how much you can do financially and just do it. September is still shoulder season and is popular so I would book if you need certain dates.
Whatever you do and decide I wish you the best. Happy planning!
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:36 PM

Forgot to add you might be able to get a good consolidator rate as well so check around. Just read their rules about changes etc...consolidator rates can save you a bundle but can also be a huge hassle if you are not careful.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Original Poster

My travel agent is telling me that Air France is a much nicer airline than Lufthansa.

Also...I don't care where we transfer. I just want the cheapest price mainly.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 10:03 PM

Probably it's up to you to decide because some will say Air France is much nicer than Lufthansa and vice versa. I guess you can find out what your travel agent likes/doesn't like about AF and compare to what others like/don't like about Lufthansa and then you can decide for yourself.

Every airline has good and bad points. Personally I prefer Lufthansa over AF. Also I seem to hear more about AF going on strike more than Lufthansa.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 10:49 PM

You might try a website www.flyertalk.com. That site has a lot of people that are frequent fliers. Their feedback might also give you better insight into Air France and Lufthansa.
Good luck.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 12:05 AM
hsv

by350,
i am usually forced to fly Lufthansa, as i am living in germany. however, i try to avoid them where i can. i think in most cases service standards especially at check- in and onboard the planes are ridiculously shameful.
even when booking lufthansa, i always look for the flights operated by their code- share partners from star alliance. flying to the us means that i always pick a flight operated by united.
a probably ridiculous but meaningful example of service is the cans of soda they are dealing out on their flights: they contain about 0.125 l of liquid which is enough to fill a hollow tooth- esp. when you are thirsty. and it drives me mad having to plead to get three of them which always makes me feel greedy and uncultivated.
i have not flown on air france recently, but it is hard to imagine that they should be the same or worse.
regards
hsv
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 12:44 AM

Definitely more chance of strikes at AF at the moment.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Bootman4U

I agree with the post that suggested you ask the travel agent WHY they think one is better than the other. The reason I say this is due to a previous post on this thread which described LH check-in procedures, etc., as being "particularly shameful" and so forth. We just returned from Europe and used LH to get over and back and within Europe. I thought the check-in, etc., was excellent, especially in Munich. The equipment (aircarft) seemed up-to-date, flight attendants were helpful, and so forth so as in so MANY of the OPINIONS on this board about all subjects, there is a great deal of subjectivity involved. What is "efficient" for some is woefully inadequate for others, etc., and I won;t even begin to rant about the two worst words "charming" and "touristy" which we see so often here.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 01:51 AM

Both times I've flown Lufthansa and the flight went thru Frankfurt, my luggage didn't make the connection. Frankfurt is a zoo. This wouldn't be good if it happened and you were on your honeymoon.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 02:46 AM
hsv

Bootman4U,

I agree, that any advice or opinions stated here are subjective. I also agree that what one person may find negative may be absolutely intriguing to someone else. As I am German, I am quite happy to hear that German service by Lufthansa does appeal to you. They so often just do not meet my personal style.
As both carriers in question here have been around for some time, though, one has to assume that each of them has some loyal customers that feel attracted by what they are being offered.
I still think, that by350 is well aware (just as everybody else) that opinions here do not neccessarily reflect what everybody's thinking and often do not conform to one's own needs. I do expect though, that he posted this subject in order to obtain different views. As each of the respondents here gave some reasons for his/ her view, these posts might be just as valuable (if not more) as the opinion of his travel agent.
Happy Landings
to all of you
hsv
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 06:36 AM

Perhaps one factor of comfort will be they type of aircraft used.

I used FF mile on United for our tickets to Italy. Our return will be on Lufthansa.

Frankly, I wish the whole trip was on Lufthansa. United flys a 767 and Lufthansa flys a 747.

Since we were able to get free first class tickets....there is no comparsion.
United's seats go only partly back. Lufthansa's go all the way back(sleeper seats).

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:56 AM

Lufthansa hands down--service is way better. I have flown both and suffered with airsickness after Air France served a very fishy fish for a meal and puked (sorry!) from Chicago to DeGualle. I was sitting one row behind the flight crew who mentioned to me as we were landing Oh, you should have told me you were ill-I could have given you something. I walked by this flight attendant at least 40 times rushing to the bathroom!!! You'd have thought she would have asked!! Sorry for the rant! Go Lufthansa.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:58 AM

P.S. we flew Lufthansa on our honeymoon and they found out and moved us to business class with a bottle of champagne...needless to say it may the 8 hours go much more quickly...