Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lufthansa Business class? Toronto to Rome? Good? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lufthansa-business-class-toronto-to-rome-good-482702/)

Bel31 Oct 26th, 2004 08:30 PM

Lufthansa Business class? Toronto to Rome? Good?

Any opinions?

francophile03 Oct 26th, 2004 08:49 PM

I have no choice to use sardine class from SFO to Frankfurt. And the service and aircraft were fine to me. Therefore, I'll guess and say biz class from Toronto to Rome will be excellent!

taggie Oct 26th, 2004 09:05 PM

Not sure exactly what you want us to comment on - the service, seats, prices...???
I recently flew Lufthansa business class from Frankfurt to Vancouver and enjoyed the flight. Service was fine. The food and wine were fairly good. The seats were new, automated, and roomy, although the automatic controls were a bit of a challenge and I found it hard to get the seat positioned comfortably, and the plane didn't seem that clean to me. "Goodies" (eyeshade, socks, etc) not as extensive or luxurious as on some other carriers I've travelled with. But all these are fairly small complaints. It certainly beat sitting in cattle class (my usual spot).

Bel31 Oct 26th, 2004 09:13 PM

Thanks for the reply! I guess I am looking for an overall review. The prices are pretty steep - I just want to know what I am paying is worth it. Especially the seats. Are they comfortable? By your previous message, they are difficult to handle. Thanks!

Melissajoy Oct 26th, 2004 11:12 PM

Bel31, we were pleased with Lufthansa regular class (coach?) from Los Angeles to Frankfurt. Seats were roomier than I had expected, and the food was definitely better than the food you get when flying here within the USA. Free wine also, and I believe they had beer too. Stewardess was very accommodating and professional...helped us solve the problem of the people in front of us who didn't speak English and kept forgetting to move their seat forward so we could eat at mealtimes without having their seats in our faces. Stewardess neatly solved this problem without offending anyone. I was impressed with Lufthansa. They also scrambled at the airport in FRankfurt to get everyone through security and held up our flight a few minutes so people changing planes wouldn't miss it.

I'd go ahead and fly Lufthansa coach! I'd do it again and would definitely choose Lufthansa.

taggie Oct 27th, 2004 07:38 PM

Is any business class seat worth it? It depends on how much disposable income you have. If I could afford to I would fly business all the time.

A bit more info from me....while I was satisfied with Lufthansa, I wouldn't choose to fly with them again, for reasons I won't go into too much here.... it has to do with upgrades and how rigid they are, and how they do not treat their partner airlines' frequent fliers with much respect. I've posted about it here before.
The seats were very high tech and comfortable but I found them kinda hard to deal with. Also I don't think the plane was very clean.
I actually prefer Air Canada(!!)... although their business class seats aren't as high-tech, I just got a better feeling from good old AC. I enjoyed Qantas business class quite a bit. I also flew busness on Austrian but since it was an inter-Europe flight it really was nothing special at all. And that's my limited experience with non-steerage flights! I can say, with utmost assurance, that I dread having to go back to steerage, with any airline (but especailly British Airways), on future flights, especially going oversees.

SandC Oct 28th, 2004 07:36 AM

You should be fine for the first leg (Toronto to either Frankfurt or Munich), after that the plane and the class of service to Rome, is probably going to a little less luxurious. Most flights from Toronto on Lufthansa are actually Air Canada code share flights (I think there is only one YYZ to MUC or FRA Lufthansa flight per day). That being said, I've never found Air Canada business class disappointing.