Reload this Page >

Lucerne and one other city in Switz.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Tom

We can travel by train from Lucerne to one other city/town for one night. Any recommendations that are within a 2 hourish train ride from Lucerne? Tom

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Josh

I'd suggest going to Interlaken so you can get a good look at the Bernese Alps (Jungfrau, Eiger, etc). The train from Lucerne goes via Bern in case you wanted to stop off there. <BR>

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 07:24 AM
Ed

Or the train from Luzern goes via Meiringen and Brienz ... which I'd suggest as it's a lovely (not spectacular, but lovely) scenic route over the Brunig Pass and then from Brienz along Lake Thun. <BR> <BR>Do understand that if you overnight in Interlaken you'll see almost nothing of mountains, as Interlaken is cut of from them by a ring of hills ... it's 14 kilometers to the center of the mountains. (There is a notch and if one positions oneself correctly you can see the Jungfrau, about 10 miles away, if it's a clear day.) <BR> <BR>I suggest the Jungfrau region, but stay instead in one of the mountain towns ... Grindelwald, Wengen or Mürren. We much prefer Mürren, and that puts you right at the spot to easily ascend to the Schilthorn for a great view of the mountains. The Jungfrau ascent is more famous, but it's far more expensive ... and you can't see the Jungfrau from atop the Jungfrau! <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 08:47 AM
scurry

<BR>We were in a similar position and had two nights to spend in Switzerland. We threw the dice & picked Interlaken. <BR> <BR>It was truly fantastic -- one of the highlights of our trip. <BR> <BR>After being in bigger cities throughout the rest of the trip, it seemed refreshingly small -- even though it's not. The mountains and weather were beautiful.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Tom

Now I am confused. One posting sounds like in Interlaken you don't have mountains and another comments on the lovely mountains...?? It would be nice to spend one night in a mountainous town but we just don't want to have too long a train ride from Lucerne since it is just for one night. I appreciate your help.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 10:10 AM
richqard j vicek

Good afternoon, The BO is your best bet, however it is only 2.5 hrs to <BR>Lugano, if you no longer look for <BR>mountains. Richard of Hickory Hills, Il.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 11:06 AM
Ed

Don't be confused, Tom. There are no mountains in Interlaken. <BR> <BR>It's about 3 hours (or a bit less) from Luzern to one of the mountain towns south of Interlaken.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:52 PM
greg

Tom, re: mountain/no mountain at Interlaken, see it for yourself at: <BR> <BR>http://www.lauterbrunnen-tourismus.ch/images/Region.jpg <BR> <BR>- You can SEE mountains at Interlaken. <BR>- You are on a flat land BETWEEN the mountains and also between the lakes at Interlaken. <BR>- You at NOT on the mountain at Interlaken. <BR>- Interlaken is NOT a mountainous town.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Greg

On some past trips to this area, I used Interlaken as a homebase. <BR> <BR>If you want to see the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger in all of their glory, you will have to "get to the mountains". <BR> <BR>However, Interlaken is close enough to the great mountains to make it possible for a person to make spectacular day trips and then return back to Interlaken for dinner and sleep at the hotel. <BR> <BR>I have taken many a nice hike and walk in the Jungfrau area from a homebase in Interlaken. I used the Swiss rail system to move about. <BR> <BR>Traveling about the Berner Oberland from a homebase in Interlaken is very convienient; however, there are many advantages to be had with a homebase in either Wengen, Murren and Grindlewald. <BR> <BR>Great mountain views and atmosphere. Clean mountain air. <BR> <BR>It is my opinion that Grindlewald is the best of all worlds. Grindlewald has the close access to so fabulous hikes and walks. There is slightly more nightlife in Grindlewald for those that like that sort of thing. <BR> <BR>Here is a web link to Grindlewald: <BR> <BR>http://www.muerren.ch/overview.htm <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Tom

Appreciate all the help guys! Tom

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Mary

Just thought I should mention the website www.swisspanorama.com. This gives you a variety of information on the Bernese Oberland. I've been surprised that I've not seen it mentioned on this board.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Susan

Lugano is about a 3-hour train ride from Lucerne (with beautiful scenery in between) and has a totally different feel to it than Lucerne (which seems a lot like Germany). Lugano is in Italian-speaking Switzerland, looks like the Mediterranean, with Italian food and culture, but Swiss cleanliness and safety. It's a fabulous place to visit and worlds away from Lucerne.

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 01:29 PM
mj

Tom,<BR>How about an beautiful ~1 hour train ride from Luzern to a faily unknown (to US travelers) little town in the mountains? Engelberg.<BR>http://www.engelberg.ch/en/default.htm<BR><BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Myer

You'll do fine in any of Lugano (South), Berne (West) or Interlaken (kind of South West). Lugano is a beautiful town Italian in flavor with a mountain on each side. Berne is a charming to and only about an hour from Luzern though not in the mountains.<BR>Interlaken is a bit longer to get to than Berne because of the train schedules. From Interlaken its about 20 minutes to Lauterbrunen that's right at the bottom of the valley with the Eiger, Monch and Jaungf... on one side and the Schilthorn (of James Bond fame) on the other. If you have a day take the train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunen (20 minutes), the train up to Murren and then another to the town (30 minutes) From there you can either just walk around or take the cable car up the Schilthorn to the revolving mountain restaurant. Beautiful views from each location and depending on your available time you can go further up.