Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lucerne activities help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lucerne-activities-help-needed-712902/)

monicanaha Jun 13th, 2007 11:59 AM

Lucerne activities help needed

Hi Guys,

Can u pls suggest whether is Mt Pilatus or Mt Rigi better. I have 1 and half day in Lucern and I am planning to Mt Titlis and Lake Lucern boat ride. Any suggestion for good dinner places ?

Thks
Monica

gatorp Jun 13th, 2007 01:11 PM

Just returned from Switzerland one week ago. We went to Pilatus, and I can recommend taking the trip. We took the boat, cog train, gondola (s) and bus. Since we didn't go up to Titlis, I can't comment.

If you like Italian food, I can HIGHLY recommend Ristorante Gennaro. It's on the edge of the old town at Topferstrasse 5. We went there twice and the pizzas and other pasta entrees were fantastic. Mostly locals eat there.

I know you'll enjoy Switzerland. We'll be making a return trip in the very near future.

cls2paris Jun 13th, 2007 02:12 PM

I've done both. From Rigi, you can see Lake Lucerne, Zugersee and Zurichsee and on a clear day, you can see the Eiger. It is quite lovely to see the lakes and valleys. It has been awhile since I was on Pilatus, and from what I recall, you can see Lake Lucerne but not the other two. And you can see different mountains but I don't recall which ones. It was a little more rugged also. It's a toss up because what you see will be different but I would choose Rigi because of the lake views. Have fun!

OTH - if you are already seeing Mt. Titlis, instead of going to another peak, visit some of the towns on the lake instead. There are some lovely ones that are worth a stop.

monicanaha Jun 15th, 2007 08:09 AM

Thks guys for the input, I think might skip Mt Pilatus and do the boat ride instead . Any other suggestion of restaurants.

gatorp Jun 15th, 2007 06:01 PM

The Stadtkeller is a fun place to sample typical Swiss food, plus they put on a Swiss themed show with yodeling, horns, and other traditional
Swiss lore. Its a little corney, but a lot of fun.

DAX Jun 15th, 2007 10:05 PM

One thing about the Stadtkeller, if you're not part of the tour groups, they seat you in the back or behind a post. They told us that the tour group brings repeat business so they always get the best seats.

I always recommend the best wienerschnitzel at the Old Swiss House by the Lion Monument. A bit pricey but they make it right at your table and it's absolutely the best schnitzel I've ever had anywhere in Europe.

sunstar Jun 17th, 2007 01:30 PM

Stadtkeller is pretty neat place and I enjoy that folklore show they do.

One night I went over to the bar just newt to the Stadkeller and the lady that does that show was in there.

They realy do have a lot of fun in there and they enjoy puling people out of the audience to participate in the fun.

Now playing:

Perfect water by Blue Oyster Cult

Train kept a rolin' by The Yardbirds