Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Lucca to Florence--train or bus? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/lucca-to-florence-train-or-bus-351595/)

RichardJ Aug 25th, 2003 12:19 PM

Lucca to Florence--train or bus?

We are staying in Lucca Sept 12 and 13 and we will spend a day in Florence. We don't want to deal with the parking, traffic issues and can't decide if the train or bus would be easier or faster. Our Lucca hotel is located within the old walls. Should we take a train or bus? If we take the bus, how do we know which bus to take to return? We don't speak any Italian. We would appreciate any suggestions.

Nutella Aug 25th, 2003 12:25 PM

I took the train and it was very easy, comfortable and quick. Exiting the station in Lucca, you cross the street and go thru one of the tunnels in the wall. Of course if your hotel is all the way on the other side of town, you'll want to take a cab.

Nutella Aug 25th, 2003 12:25 PM

Ah, Lucca TO Florence. Sorry! Well, just read my previous post upside down : )

JudyC Aug 25th, 2003 06:24 PM

The bus terminal is right inside the old town, there are frequent direct buses to Florence,with clear sign posted.It is more convenient than taking trains.

LarryJ Aug 25th, 2003 06:34 PM

I spent three days in Lucca last October. It is of course nothing like the great hill towns of Tuscany but a great little city all the same. Had a great time. I took the train from Lucca to Florence (S.M.N. station) and back. It was very easy and took about 90 minutes. I checked on the bus and according to the schedules the travel times were about the same as the train. Whenever I have a choice between train or bus in Europe I always take the train. Have fun in Lucca.

Larry J

nancyhol Feb 1st, 2004 03:44 PM

I am sorry to be such a wimp, but are the trains and buses in Italy air conditioned?

kybourbon Feb 1st, 2004 04:06 PM

The bus between Lucca and Florence is air conditioned. The bus is faster because it doesn't make any other stops. Some trains are airconditioned and some aren't. It takes about 1 hour. You catch the bus in Florence across the street from the train station.

ira Feb 2nd, 2004 08:42 AM

Hi Richard,

If you take the bus from Lucca (Pl Verdi) to Florence (Pl Adua) you arrive right near the Florence train station.

See www.lazzi.it. for schedules.

Florence is Firenze.

Peggyann Feb 2nd, 2004 10:49 AM

Lucky you! You will be in Lucca during the time of the great evening procession of the statue from the Duomo. We missed it by one day last year, but the many candles were in evidence around all the windows and doorways in the city. Lucca is beautiful, the people are so beautifully dressed as you will see during the passagiata. Nice restaurants and wonderful walls to walk or bike ride... But why do I go on so, you are staying there so you must have some idea... Train is very convenient to Florence. Never did the bus.