Reload this Page >

Lucca -- stay or day trip???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Sue

We are visiting Italy in June. We'll have a car. Lucca is one of the places we want to see but don't know if we should spend the night there or is there another town close that would have better restaurants and night activities.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 10:39 AM
anne

I vote for staying. Lucca's a marvelous town night and day...lots of good places to eat, wonderful walking and shopping too. It reminds me slightly of Venice - the voices echo off of the tall old buildings lining the streets, and there aren't too many cars - alot of people ride bikes instead.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Alan

Lucca is a truly lovely town. I did a day trip, but hated leaving and made a mental note that when I visited Lucca again, it would be for an overnight stay. You will find good restaurants in Lucca, and it is the perfect town for the Italian custom of the evening stroll before dinner.

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 12:17 PM
jennifer

We spent a week in the hills near Lucca and I believe we visited the walled city of Lucca at least twice for most of the day. The shops are quite nice and you can walk (or rent bikes) all around the city on top of the old wall. This provided some great photo ops. Lucca is also close enough to Florence or the western coast that you could easily get to your next destination just as the shops/restaurants, etc. or opening back up for the evening. Somewhere I have a fairly good list of restuarants in the area, email me and I will attempt to find it!

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 01:07 PM
Paul

Another vote for stay! We've done day trips twice, and one year we will stay over. Lucca is a wonderful city. Lots of interesting things to see, and good food. It's a small enough city within the walls to comfortably walk around, and you can even walk up on top of the walls!

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 04:23 PM
Sandi

We stayed in Lucca and loved it. You must go to a famil-style trattoria called Guillio's. Outstanding! I had this ancient recipe soup/stew that was so good I went back the next day and had the same thing. Have fun. <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 05:47 PM
Joanna

I too stayed at Lucca - for 3 nights. There's plenty in the town to keep you busy and it's a good spot for a day trip to Pisa. It makes a nice change from the faster pace (and tourist hordes) in Florence and Siena.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 09:46 AM
kam

Since our family lives close to Lucca, it's good to hear so many people like it. Plenty to do there as well as villas around the outskirts, a drive into the Garfagnana and a fairly decent wine area as well. Buca di Sant'Antonio is probably the top restaurant in town and just outside of town in Sesto is the wonderful La Mora (make reservations and get directions. If you wanted a lovely hotel in an old villa--try Villa La Principessa about 3 miles outside Lucca. Lucca is a walking city--park your car at one of the old gates in the walls and enjoy walking around.